[SOLVED] RX 5700 vs RTX 2060 Super vs RX 5700 XT vs RTX 2070

Mondo_1

Commendable
Aug 11, 2017
Hello all!
I’m upgrading from my r9 380 and I’m stuck on what to buy.

I’ll mostly be playing at 1080 but would the ability to hit 1440p. I’d like the luxury of maxing the settings or atleast hitting high on them and seeing 60fps in games like;
Far Cry 5
AC Odyssey
Escape from Tarkov
PuBG
Etc and future titles.

current build
Ryzen 5 2600
16gb 3000mhz G Skill DDR4
MSI Gaming Pro
600w EVGA Gold psu
120gb SSD Windows
1tb HDD games

im after the best ‘bang for buck’ but nvidia tempts me due to wattage and heat but it’s definitely not a deciding factor. My main concern is my CPU limiting the beefier cards.

Solution
Depends on how important ray tracing is to you. If you really really want that, go for the RTX series. I, however, will wait a while until it's much more common in games, and then make the jump to a high end GPU like the 2080 ti (assuming AMD hasn't released their own high end ray tracing cards by then, and at half the price).

Looking at the bench stats between [2060 Super vs 2070] and [5700 vs 5700 xt], the less powerful of each pair will definitely get you what you want in terms of bang for buck. In my own personal opinion, the roughly 10-15% max performance increase between the lower and higher end models isn't worth the $50 - $100 price jump, especially considering that the lower model stats are already pretty good. The 2060 S and...
Depends on how important ray tracing is to you. If you really really want that, go for the RTX series. I, however, will wait a while until it's much more common in games, and then make the jump to a high end GPU like the 2080 ti (assuming AMD hasn't released their own high end ray tracing cards by then, and at half the price).

Looking at the bench stats between [2060 Super vs 2070] and [5700 vs 5700 xt], the less powerful of each pair will definitely get you what you want in terms of bang for buck. In my own personal opinion, the roughly 10-15% max performance increase between the lower and higher end models isn't worth the $50 - $100 price jump, especially considering that the lower model stats are already pretty good. The 2060 S and 5700 should definitely get you to 1080p / 60fps on max settings, if not further depending on the game.

My current planned build is pretty similar to yours, and I intend to go for the 5700

Solution

Mondo_1

Commendable
Aug 11, 2017

Looking at the bench stats between [2060 Super vs 2070] and [5700 vs 5700 xt], the less powerful of each pair will definitely get you what you want in terms of bang for buck. In my own personal opinion, the roughly 10-15% max performance increase between the lower and higher end models isn't worth the $50 - $100 price jump, especially considering that the lower model stats are already pretty good. The 2060 S and 5700 should definitely get you to 1080p / 60fps on max settings, if not further depending on the game.

My current planned build is pretty similar to yours, and I intend to go for the 5700

thanks for the reply! I’m not really fussed about RT personally.
I am stuck however as for £290 I can get the 5700 and £338 I can get the 5700 XT however it is an XFX branded one so not to sure if it’s worth the extra say £50

edit: the £289 5700 is xfx for £338 I can get a PowerColor 5700XT.

I'd be a bit wary of the PowerColor, they aren't directly listed on AMD's site as a manufacturer of those cards like XFX is, and there's some pretty bad reviews out there concerning common crashing problems. Make sure the card has a good warranty term (both from PowerColor and the service you buy it from) and that PowerColor doesn't have a history of making RMA's difficult before picking it up.

But if everything checks out, that's a real good price for an XT, considering they average out at about $400+

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I usually tend to Nvidia. AMD is currently kicking butt with their Ryzen CPUs but with GPUs there are not there yet. Nvidia offers better and more frequent drivers and you have ray tracing. This is not a must have, but a nice to have. Especially considering that both next gen consoles (PS5 and Xbox series x) will have hardware based ray tracing support, as well es AMDs RDNA2. This will definitely lead to many more games with ray tracing.

Raytracing effects can be subtle or really obvious. Depends on which ones are used. I don't see a difference in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but I notice big difference in Metro Exodus and Control. Also the Shadows in Modern Warfare are much better with Raytracing than without even so I didn't think that the performance impact was that big a deal in that specific game. Its up to you, how important it is to you.

Last edited: