[SOLVED] RX 5700 XT 8GB Nitro+ OC vs RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB GAMING OC

Sep 16, 2019
My system:
CPU:
i-5-9600k , MOBO: MSI Z390-A pro/ Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance SSD: Intel 660p 1TB, PSU: Corsair RM750x V2, COOLER: Master Hyper 212 EVO

What GPU should I pick?

Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ OC:

GPU-frequency: 1770MHz
Turbo-frequency: 1815MHz
Stream Processors: 2560
Memory: GDDR6, 8 GB, Speed 14 000MHz, 256-bit

RTX 2070super GAMING OC (GD):
GPU-frequency: 1770MHz
Turbo-frequency: 1815MHz
Stream Processors: 2560
Memory: GDDR6, 8 GB, Speed 14 000MHz, 256-bit

Aren't they equal when it come down to performace? Same specs and all?
Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB Nitro+ OC vs Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB GAMING OC (GD)

EDIT:
I am going to use this pc for gaming and my aim is to max fps.

Solution
Given the summary of the hierarchy chart, I'd say that the 5700XT has a very slight performance advantage over the 2070 Super.

Close enough so that for all intents and purposes, they're the same, performance-wise.

OC'd cards will generally draw a little more power than the reference designs. The 5700XT card draws a little more than the 2070 Super. Sapphire cards do have excellent cooling solutions, especially the Nitro+. Gigabyte has decent coolers as well, but I think the Gaming series is their "base" or at least one of their lower level cooling solutions (don't quote me on that... though I thought the AORUS models were the ones with Gigabyte's best coolers).

There's no need for a GSync monitor...
Sep 16, 2019
I'd look at the 2070 Super, between those two.
Care to elaborate?
Because I've got no idea what to look for other than what I've already posted in the thread? I know that 2070s are supposed to be faster than 5700 XTs but isnt that at stock speed? The two GPUs that are linked have both been OC'ed by the supplier right? So should they be equally fast if they have the same exact specifications? There is a miniscule cost difference at around 20$ so i could get either of them for the same price kind of!

Reactions: King_V
Does 2 cars with the same horsepower perform the same? Do they reach the same speed? Do they accelerate the same?
Forget the cars, do 2 CPU's one from AMD and one from Intel at the same clock speed perform the same?

The point is that there are plenty of factors that make the performance to differ.
I would get the 2070 Super just and ONLY because they run much cooler. That's just me though. You can also choose the 2070 Super because it has RTX, performs better or if you have a G sync monitor

Sep 16, 2019
Does 2 cars with the same horsepower perform the same? Do they reach the same speed? Do they accelerate the same?
Forget the cars, do 2 CPU's one from AMD and one from Intel at the same clock speed perform the same?

The point is that there are plenty of factors that make the performance to differ.
I would get the 2070 Super just and ONLY because they run much cooler. That's just me though. You can also choose the 2070 Super because it has RTX, performs better or if you have a G sync monitor
Thank you! Don't think i'll be running RTX though since im after performance in fps.

I dont have a g-sync monitor at the moment, but i am looking to replace the 60hz screen i currently have obviously... ;D

Can't find any decent g-sync monitors tho? Should i create a new thread for that or can i ask about it here? All i can find that doesn't cost an entire house have really slow input lags... Not sure if thats something to take into account tho when the average ms is around 4 and the lowest is 1ms? 144hz is the minimum im after.

You can start a new thread if you wish, but I can tell you a few things.
Response time WAS something that was panel bound. That means that the TN panels were the fastest one where IPS were the slowest and VA a bit better than IPS. Nowadays IPS have improved bringing 1ms response time to some monitors and I think it's the same with VA too.

Refresh rate: Anything above 144 is a bit overkill because noone can tell the difference between 144,165 or 240Hz. Actually if there is someone that can notice it, they will say that it's nothing serious of a difference.

Panel: Very, very, very fast summarise. IPS: excellent colours, mediocre blacks, used to have slower response time (most still do), GREAT viewing angles. VA: very good colours, excellent black, better response time than IPS, worse viewing angles. TN: excellent response times and refresh rates, washed out colours in most cases, similar viewing angles to VA.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Given the summary of the hierarchy chart, I'd say that the 5700XT has a very slight performance advantage over the 2070 Super.

Close enough so that for all intents and purposes, they're the same, performance-wise.

OC'd cards will generally draw a little more power than the reference designs. The 5700XT card draws a little more than the 2070 Super. Sapphire cards do have excellent cooling solutions, especially the Nitro+. Gigabyte has decent coolers as well, but I think the Gaming series is their "base" or at least one of their lower level cooling solutions (don't quote me on that... though I thought the AORUS models were the ones with Gigabyte's best coolers).

There's no need for a GSync monitor. Get a FreeSync monitor, so you don't have to pay the "Nvidia Tax" - Nvidia's 10-, 16-, and 20- series cards all will work with FreeSync.

144 is the minimum? You want to go faster? Why? I'd be hard pressed to believe anyone could tell the difference between, say, 120 and 144. Or 144 and 180. Or 240. There's very rapidly diminishing returns over about 100fps with regard to what the human eye can perceive, especially in a fast-paced game.

Also, at what resolution?

Solution
Sep 16, 2019

OC'd cards will generally draw a little more power than the reference designs. The 5700XT card draws a little more than the 2070 Super.

There's no need for a GSync monitor. Get a FreeSync monitor, so you don't have to pay the "Nvidia Tax" - Nvidia's 10-, 16-, and 20- series cards all will work with FreeSync.

144 is the minimum? You want to go faster? Why? I'd be hard pressed to believe anyone could tell the difference between, say, 120 and 144. Or 144 and 180. Or 240. There's very rapidly diminishing returns over about 100fps with regard to what the human eye can perceive, especially in a fast-paced game.

Also, at what resolution?

Thank you!

Resolution:
Im after fps so 1080p wil do just fine for me.

Why 144hz minimum:
just what I have heard is optimal and im prepared to pay for it.

Also, had no idea free sync works with 20- series cards from Nvidia! Thank you for that! I've got 2 monitors that i looked into before i jump from a r5 3600 to the i5-9600k. So the free sync will work with the 2070super just fine even the suppliers doesnt say anything about it?

ViewSonic XG2402
AOC G2590PX

24" screens will do just fine for me. Thats what i've got right now and im happy with that.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Nvidia has an official list they've confirmed that works with FreeSync. My monitor is not on that list, but also works fine with my GTX 1080.

Nvidia's official list is extremely small, considering the number of monitors out there, and they seem to be working in a somewhat alphabetical order.

As I understand it, any monitor that gives an Nvidia card problems with FreeSync was probably never implementing FreeSync properly in the first place, and would likely have problems even with AMD cards.

Some suppliers will mention it, some won't. MSI does, for example, yet they're not on Nvidia's list.

Note that (so far) FreeSync only works via DisplayPort, not HDMI.