Dec 30, 2020
My PC is black screening while playing games anywhere from 5-30-60 minutes in. The screen goes black and audio cuts out, both permanently. the fans stay running so this leads me to believe it is a GPU issue rather than a CPU. i have the 20.12.1 AMD driver / software (i did a clean reinstall using DDU). i tried rolling back to 12.11.1 but it was even worse, the black screening was happening by simply perusing windows settings. i recently updated my ASUS BIOS to 0803 (there is a further updated to 1003 but i don’t feel like this is the issue), i’ve used Driver Easy to ensure the rest of my PCs drivers are up to date. At this stage, i am at a loss of what else to do. i built the PC 3 days ago and i’ve spent more time troubleshooting than actually using it. it seems to run fine in 1080p @ 144hz, or potentially even 1440p @ 60hz though i haven’t tried long enough to be sure. i’ve been monitoring GPU temp, and though i can never be sure exactly what temp it’s at as it cuts out i’ve never seen it higher than 80°C. playing FC5 it seems to stay steady around 60-70°C and it does black screen during that game. i have a 750W PSU (Corsair CX750F RGB) so i can’t believe it’s a power supply issue. any suggestions of what else to try would be awesome.

Solution
CPU: Intel i5-10600k
GPU: MSI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666MHz
MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming B460-Pro (WIFI)
PSU: Corsair CX750F RGB

is there a good live power consumption tracker that you use? i just tried connecting the GPU to the second PCIe slot - we’ll see if there is any change.

MSI afterburner/rivatuner will give you an osd while playing.

Also if you enable amd link in radeon drivers and download the app of your smartphone you can monitor on your phone screen.

Try dropping core clock 100mhz and just see if it makes a difference, did you get anywhere dropping the GPU to the lower slot??
What model 5700xt is it exactly??

I've had huge issue sim the past with my powercolor red dragon, to the extent that I had to drop onto the downclocked silent bios with the switch on the card.

There appears to be an issue with power spikes on a lot of these cards when under high usage that triggers protection circuitry.

I know your cx750 is a decent psu.
My issue is that since swapping out my cx650m for a leadex 3 gold 650w the issues completely and utterly disappeared, I've not had a single black screen or syatem/gpu driver crash since.

What's your entire system spec??

Dec 30, 2020
What model 5700xt is it exactly??

I've had huge issue sim the past with my powercolor red dragon, to the extent that I had to drop onto the downclocked silent bios with the switch on the card.

There appears to be an issue with power spikes on a lot of these cards when under high usage that triggers protection circuitry.

I know your cx750 is a decent psu.
My issue is that since swapping out my cx650m for a leadex 3 gold 650w the issues completely and utterly disappeared, I've not had a single black screen or syatem/gpu driver crash since.

What's your entire system spec??

is there a good live power consumption tracker that you use? i just tried connecting the GPU to the second PCIe slot - we’ll see if there is any change.

Dec 30, 2020
By any chance, do you have RBG or any type of lighting on your keyboard and mouse? if so when this black screen happens do the lights on your peripherals flicker off then back on again?

Dec 30, 2020
By any chance, do you have RBG or any type of lighting on your keyboard and mouse? if so when this black screen happens do the lights on your peripherals flicker off then back on again?

i do have RGB keyboard and mouse. as well as my RAM sticks, liquid cooler and PSU all have RGB as well. i haven’t noticed any flickering of the RGB but i will look look out for this next time.

Dec 30, 2020
I am having the same issues as you, just bought this GPU and hoping not to return it. When it does allow me to play games, it plays very well. Great GPU just very stupid issues. Seen many post online and nothing helps me. I hope you can get an answer!

MSI afterburner/rivatuner will give you an osd while playing.

Also if you enable amd link in radeon drivers and download the app of your smartphone you can monitor on your phone screen.

Try dropping core clock 100mhz and just see if it makes a difference, did you get anywhere dropping the GPU to the lower slot??

Solution