[SOLVED] RX 5700 XT drivers causes mouse movement lag/audio slowdown

dkmaster820

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
relevant PC specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
PSU: Seasonic Focus 650 Watt
GPU: RX 5700 XT sapphire nitro+
MB: ASUS TUF GAMING PLUS X570 (non-wifi)

This has been happening more several months; I can't figure out why or how this keeps happening and I can't seem to find any post/people with problems like mine. Sometimes when I boot up my computer, when I move my mouse it feels like I am watching someone share their screen (the mouse movement is not smooth; when i move my mouse very quickly the cursor skips ahead if that makes sense). in addition to that, every time move my mouse there is audio stutter/distortion/slowdown whether its youtube, spotify or plugging in a flash drive doesn't matter. If I don't move my mouse then the audio is fine.

when I try to play games I encounter similar issues. I tried playing Terraria and the same thing happens even if i move my mouse or not there is 'lag' in game and in the sounds. I'm also averaging 56-57 fps and there is nothing intense going on in game.

now comes the strange part:
sometimes I have to shutdown my computer and wait 1-2 hours boot it up again and all of these issues are gone! (no mouse lag mouse movement is sliky mouse, no issues with audio with and without mouse movement, and very stable 60 fps in Terraria. If I restart my computer/or if my computer goes to sleep then these issues comes back. other times, as I am randomly browsing the internet my whole screen goes black for 2 seconds and everything is fix/working fine again but I have no way of predicting when this will happen.

And the reason why I know this is a graphics driver issue is because if I go to device manager - right click - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT and click disable driver, I get no mouse lag/audio lag everything works fine but that means I have to use integrated graphics. if i re-enable the driver then the issues will come right back. My pc does not have crashing issues/blue screens.

I have tried reinstalling graphics drivers, I have used AMD cleanup utility and then reinstalling the drivers, i have tried reinstalling windows, but no dice or maybe i'm doing something wrong. Sorry for the long post as I am trying to give as much detail of the problem as possible.

Happy to answer/clarify any additional questions, any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Solution
Turns out i left off some information: my gpu is connected to the mb using a gpu riser cable. and I was using the second pcie slot due worrying about stretching the gpu riser cable.

I fixed the issues above by doing the following:

replugged the gpu riser cable (there was some small residue on the gpu riser cable pins that covered 2-3 "pins" so i wiped it away with my hands) and instead of plugging it in the 2nd pcie slot, I tried the 1st pcie slot

replugged power cables, and display ports/hdmi ports

went into BIOS somewhere and changed the pcie_1 slot from AUTO to GEN1 (I learned this from another post but am unable to find it (Thank you to whoever you are!).

save and exit and everything is good now!

dkmaster820

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
Turns out i left off some information: my gpu is connected to the mb using a gpu riser cable. and I was using the second pcie slot due worrying about stretching the gpu riser cable.

I fixed the issues above by doing the following:

replugged the gpu riser cable (there was some small residue on the gpu riser cable pins that covered 2-3 "pins" so i wiped it away with my hands) and instead of plugging it in the 2nd pcie slot, I tried the 1st pcie slot

replugged power cables, and display ports/hdmi ports

went into BIOS somewhere and changed the pcie_1 slot from AUTO to GEN1 (I learned this from another post but am unable to find it (Thank you to whoever you are!).

save and exit and everything is good now!

Solution