Question rx 5700 xt drivers

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Hello,

I have been looking to upgrade to one of these cards. Just wondering if people are still having issues with AMD drivers, black screens, crashes? I would like to upgrade to one of these cards, but mostly want to hold of until there is some stability with drivers.

Yup. AMD has been painfully slow with fixing some of the issues. I'm on driver 19.12.2 and have a weird issue where my screen goes black about 30 seconds after I get into windows then comes back maybe 2 or 3 seconds later. Not a huge issue but is annoying and occasionally will lock up my whole system. Also have fan speed issues which have plagued the new 5 series cards.

Gaming wise I don't really have any issues especially after disabling all of AMDS "performance" and "image quality" enhancements which absolutely decimated my frame-rate.

I think the 5700XT is a great card, but AMD needs to understand hardware alone isn't enough and they need to start putting out regular driver updates especially now that Nvidia is dropping prices on some of their cards.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Yup. AMD has been painfully slow with fixing some of the issues. I'm on driver 19.12.2 and have a weird issue where my screen goes black about 30 seconds after I get into windows then comes back maybe 2 or 3 seconds later. Not a huge issue but is annoying and occasionally will lock up my whole system. Also have fan speed issues which have plagued the new 5 series cards.

Gaming wise I don't really have any issues especially after disabling all of AMDS "performance" and "image quality" enhancements which absolutely decimated my frame-rate.

I think the 5700XT is a great card, but AMD needs to understand hardware alone isn't enough and they need to start putting out regular driver updates especially now that Nvidia is dropping prices on some of their cards.
Thank you. I might even wait till black friday when these cards should have a considerable discount, and hopefully driver issues should be ironed out by then.

Hello,

I have been looking to upgrade to one of these cards. Just wondering if people are still having issues with AMD drivers, black screens, crashes? I would like to upgrade to one of these cards, but mostly want to hold of until there is some stability with drivers.

Drivers were doing a lot better but then they released the 2020 update for Radeon Settings - Adrenaline and now it feels almost like it's back to square one. Many people are just hanging out back at one of the October or November driver releases, probably a good choice if you don't have one of the new-release games the newer drivers have optimized support for.

But a lot, and I've just joined in, are doing a 'drivers only' install and use MSI Afterburner for the card's control panel. It's pretty easy to do the driver only install. Afterburner works perfectly for overclocking and fan controls but if you really need the other features RS provides there are better streaming and capture apps out there. Getting rid of Radeon Settings Adrenaline edition has fixed the stability problems for me and preserves the nice up-tick in performance I got with the 2020 drivers.

Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Drivers were doing a lot better but then they released the 2020 update for Radeon Settings - Adrenaline and now it feels almost like it's back to square one. Many people are just hanging out back at one of the October or November driver releases, probably a good choice if you don't have one of the new-release games the newer drivers have optimized support for.

But a lot, and I've just joined in, are doing a 'drivers only' install and use MSI Afterburner for the card's control panel. It's pretty easy to do the driver only install. Afterburner works perfectly for overclocking and fan controls but if you really need the other features RS provides there are better streaming and capture apps out there. Getting rid of Radeon Settings Adrenaline edition has fixed the stability problems for me and preserves the nice up-tick in performance I got with the 2020 drivers.
That's interesting, a pretty simple work around if you ask me. I really don't mind doing a driver only install, I prefer it to be honest. One of the cards I am looking at is a Gigabyte card, and they have a driver from September still available on their site, but AMD only has Adrenaline 2020 available on their website. Better to just stick with the Board Partner driver until AMD gets everything together if I went with the card in the near future.

...but AMD only has Adrenaline 2020 available on their website...

AMD has many (most? all?) prior driver release packages available, the link is down further on the page. The list goes back to the release driver for 5700 series (July of last year). Here's the link...

https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...d-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

The way to do a 'driver only' install is to unpack the install package to a folder. Then in Device Manager, right click on the Display Adapter (it should be something like Microsoft Display Adapter at that point) and click on Update Driver. Find the folder with the install package using BROWSE (be sure to have the SubFolders ticked so it looks through them too) and it will install only the drivers. Be sure to un-install any old drivers and clean up with DDU first, so that it's a clean install with nothing left behind.

Last edited:

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
AMD has many (most? all?) prior driver release packages available, the link is down further on the page. The list goes back to the release driver for 5700 series (July of last year). Here's the link...

https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...d-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

The way to do a 'driver only' install is to unpack the install package to a folder. Then in Device Manager, right click on the Display Adapter (it should be something like Microsoft Display Adapter at that point) and click on Update Driver. Find the folder with the install package using BROWSE (be sure to have the SubFolders ticked so it looks through them too) and it will install only the drivers. Be sure to un-install any old drivers and clean up with DDU first, so that it's a clean install with nothing left behind.
haha, you're right! For some reason I thought I only saw two drivers available. Looks like there are drivers going back till July. Thank you for pointing that out. Also, some good tips there for doing a clean install. I will have to do that since I am currently using an Nvidia card.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
So looking at the DDU methodology when switching graphics cards I should download the AMD driver I want to install. Run the uninstaller in "clean and shutdown" (mode). Install the new GPU and start up the system. If all goes well and system posts and Windows boots, then install the AMD drivers once booted into Windows. Then I should do a restart even if Windows does not prompt or suggest a restart.

edit: all while not connected to internet

So looking at the DDU methodology when switching graphics cards I should download the AMD driver I want to install. Run the uninstaller in "clean and shutdown" (mode). Install the new GPU and start up the system. If all goes well and system posts and Windows boots, then install the AMD drivers once booted into Windows. Then I should do a restart even if Windows does not prompt or suggest a restart.

edit: all while not connected to internet

That's pretty much it, follow the DDU instructions for cleaning up old GPU drivers and software. But be sure to unpack the downloaded driver package before starting it; it comes as a self-extracting executable so you may need something like 7Zip to unpack it.

When it starts back up with the new GPU installed Windows will install a default compatibility-mode driver to give you a display. Go to Device Manager and click open the Display Adapters bullet...the adapter will be called Microsoft or Windows Display or something like that. Right click on that and select Update Driver. You'll get an old-school dialogue box, select to Browse My Computer, then make sure Include Subfolders box is checked and steer it to the folder where you unpacked the drivers.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
So I purchased a Gigabyte 5700 xt. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong here. After following the steps for DDU and driver only install (which was successful), I am having issues with fan control.

I am using MSI Afterburner.

With my INVIDIA card I was able to manually control fan speeds or set the card to auto and the card would do an auto fan stop when it wasn't under load. But mostly I had the fans running at a low rpm at all times to keep the card cool.

I don't seem to be able to do that with the 5700 xt. No mater what fan profiles I set, the fans only turn on when the card is under load. What is odd is Afterburner says my fans are spinning at a a certain percentage whether it is auto or manual, but I can see the fans are physically not spinning while the card temp is sitting at 58c. Has anyone experienced this? I am using driver 19.10.2 per the Broken Silicon podcast stating it seems to be the most stable driver.