[SOLVED] RX 5700 XT or 2070S

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kingkobe21

Commendable
Dec 19, 2017
Will the AMD drivers eventually improve or should I just buy a 2070 Super? Will the extra dollars I pay for the 2070S be worth it? Can it perform better overtime than the 5700 XT? I also want to know what’s better paired with my Ryzen 5 3600.

Solution
Either card will work and both companies work on getting out better drivers. The 5700 being newer is earlier in the driver development stage and will have more bugs that need addressing but they are working on it!

Me, I've been Nvidia only for 10+ years now.
It had 3.5GB then 0.5GB that was essentially useless as it tanked performance as soon as you try to use it.

let's be honest here. have you ever use GTX970 yourself? as i said both tech journalist and youtuber have investigate this and they never find performance regression. find me one article or video that show GTX970 have it's performance tank once VRAM usage exceed 3.5GB. else you're just making things up.

And of course you won’t notice a difference vs the slow VRAM once you get to 2666Mhz DDR4 you’re at 21GB/s In single channel over 30 in dual at the base 2133Mhz and around 40 for 2666.

this GTX970 is one thing that i inherit from my older build. back then my DDR3 speed only tops at 1600Mhz. i don't see any performance drop either back then.

Kepler dropped off because it’s old, Maxwell is starting to get it now and in a couple of years Pascal will too. Hell even look at the RX and Vega cards that have leapfrogged the 1060 and 1070. Hell the Vega 64 is trading blows with the GTX 1080 now

this topic can be a very long one. but probably you will understand once game start using DX12U performance enhancing features in future games. but the key word you need to remember is this: "performance enhancing features". i will stop here. no need to derail this thread further than it already is.

let's be honest here. have you ever use GTX970 yourself? as i said both tech journalist and youtuber have investigate this and they never find performance regression. find me one article or video that show GTX970 have it's performance tank once VRAM usage exceed 3.5GB. else you're just making things up.

this GTX970 is one thing that i inherit from my older build. back then my DDR3 speed only tops at 1600Mhz. i don't see any performance drop either back then.

this topic can be a very long one. but probably you will understand once game start using DX12U performance enhancing features in future games. but the key word you need to remember is this: "performance enhancing features". i will stop here. no need to derail this thread further than it already is.
Yup I have

features that have to be implemented, you can use multi GPU in DX12 without SLI or CF but no one does it

Yup I have

features that have to be implemented, you can use multi GPU in DX12 without SLI or CF but no one does it

because there is more issues than benefit when using it. and ultimately you need people with multiple GPU setup which is very small subset of user even among pc gamer. now let's look at other feature of DX12. why many new games that use DX12/Vulkan implement async compute? because 1)it is one of performance enhancing features 2) everyone can easily have gpu with proper async compute support unlike multi GPU which is much more complicated and expensive to own. VRS, mesh shading and feedback sampler are exactly like async compute: they are performance enhancing features and will be the primary features on next gen console as well as a mean to boost performance.