radhamescambero

Commendable
May 6, 2017
Hello, I want to buy a new gpu but I don't know which one I should go with. I have seen reviews and benchmarks of both of these cards, and the Rx 5700 XT seems to perform better by 5-20 more fps, but the thing that is holding me back from buying it is Ray Tracing. I Know that some people say that it it a gimmick, but when the new consoles come out in a year or two most of the games will be released with this new technology, and since Nvidia is the only one with official support, IDK if I should go for it. From the videos that I have seen, ray tracing looks pretty damn good. But the other thing is that I like AMD, I bought my first GPU in 2016 (an Rx 480) and now I'm "used to" AMD, and I like their community, also, like I said, the 5700 XT gives more fps in most games compared to the 2060 super.

Also, the Rx 5700 xt can play most games at 144fps at ultra, which could match my 144hz screen, while the the rtx 2060 super Can run the games that the 5700 xt runs at 144fps at 120fps, but I can always lower the settings.

Thanks, and I hope that your guys can help me with the decision

I wouldn't worry about it. When next gen consoles come out. The games designed for them normally have a major spike in requirements for their PC counterparts. In all likelihood those games will be too much for the RTX 2060 to handle with Ray Tracing enabled.

It will take quite a while anyways. The first batch of games for next gen consoles are mostly designed for the prior gen. With improved graphics settings for the better hardware. I couldn't imagine getting a slower GPU. Just because it has a feature which may be useful in a few years. Especially since it will be an old and outdated GPU by that time.

Ray tracing on the 2060/2070 cripples performance, at least from what I've seen. The 2080 does ok at 1080p, but is pretty bad at 1440, this is personal experience with bf5 and a 2080. The 2080ti starts doing much better, but currently still struggles.

So I honestly would recommend the 5700xt over the 2060. I'm sure ray tracing will get better, but for now, on the lower mid tier cards it's not worth the hit to fps, imo.

Reactions: radhamescambero