[SOLVED] RX 5700 XT/PSU Question

Mar 23, 2020
Hi all,

hope all are safe and well.

I have a EVGA 650 BQ PSU and a Sapphire 5700XT graphics card. The PSU PCI-E cable is only 8-6 connector and the graphics card is 8-8.
I decided (maybe stupidly) to use the vga connector which has a separate 8pin connector so essentially the graphics card was connected by 2 separate 8 pin connectors from the PCI-E cable and the VGA. Anyhow all was well until I started playing games and my computer would just crash. I have a old cooler master psu which is only 500w (known working) but has a 8-8 PCI-E cable. Using that PSU, everything seems to be working ok.

what I would like to know is if using 2 separate power cables is actually an ok thing to do ? Secondly, if I continue to use the 500w supply will that be ok to power a pc that has an estimated wattage of 480w?

I hope it’s just my bad idea or a faulty PSU instead of a faulty graphics card.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Solution
It should be fine if you use the PCI-E and VGA cable. However, I wouldn't recommend using a 500-watt power supply for a 5700xt, you could ruin it and even all of your parts. Also, the reason why it has a PCI-E cable is that it's for devices that use a lot fewer watts. If your power supply doesn't have two 8 pin VGA cables then it is not suitable for a graphics card with two 8 pin connectors.

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
It should be fine if you use the PCI-E and VGA cable. However, I wouldn't recommend using a 500-watt power supply for a 5700xt, you could ruin it and even all of your parts. Also, the reason why it has a PCI-E cable is that it's for devices that use a lot fewer watts. If your power supply doesn't have two 8 pin VGA cables then it is not suitable for a graphics card with two 8 pin connectors.

Solution