[SOLVED] RX 5700 XT Runs hot?

bernzkilot

Commendable
Feb 15, 2017
Hi Guys!

just want to check. will this RX 5700 XT last long with me? i have been running this and idle temp is around 55 to 60 then while playing it goes up to 80 degrees and up.

you think this card will last for at least 2 years with this thing running on this heat? please enlighten me.

Thank you.

Solution
As your country is really hot, that also contributes to the card running, well, hotter.

Try underclocking it and, if possible, undervolting it. You will lose some performance, but instead of it getting too hot or even crashing, it's better.

When the aftermarket coolers become available, you could buy one that fits the card. There's some great aftermarket coolers for GPUs that would fit most generations. Thermaltake and Aerocool, from memory, have some good ones for AMD cards.

Cheers!

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Technically the card got no problem. Its not ideal but it will throttle itself down if reaching junc temps that are dangerously high like over 100c.
The blower cooler is just not the most effective. Are you reporting edge or junction temp btw?

You could try to slap an Accelero III on there, it should be compatible but I am not 100 percent sure. Would check that first.

Reactions: bernzkilot

bernzkilot

Commendable
Feb 15, 2017
the problem is i currently dont have a pc with me and i ordered this from Amazon USA. im currently in Qatar and if i wait for 3rd party cooling cards, i will be released. should i just return this and get RTX 2070 super? you think this will serve me for at least 2 years with this heat or should i just return it?

As your country is really hot, that also contributes to the card running, well, hotter.

Try underclocking it and, if possible, undervolting it. You will lose some performance, but instead of it getting too hot or even crashing, it's better.

When the aftermarket coolers become available, you could buy one that fits the card. There's some great aftermarket coolers for GPUs that would fit most generations. Thermaltake and Aerocool, from memory, have some good ones for AMD cards.

Cheers!

Solution

bernzkilot

Commendable
Feb 15, 2017

Cheers!
this aftermarket coolers will be easy to install right? guess i will do this then. thanks for the advise!

this aftermarket coolers will be easy to install right? guess i will do this then. thanks for the advise!
Most of them are simple, yes. If you go for a watercooling model it may be a tad complicated, but nothing you can't overcome being careful. Plus, there are plenty videos that let you know, step by step, how to replace the blower type to most aftermarket coolers out there.

EDIT: For example you could buy something like this https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16835186096

Cheers!

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Technically the card got no problem. Its not ideal but it will throttle itself down if reaching junc temps that are dangerously high like over 100c.
The blower cooler is just not the most effective. Are you reporting edge or junction temp btw?

You could try to slap an Accelero III on there, it should be compatible but I am not 100 percent sure. Would check that first.

You should watch the video, the cooling setup is terrible. GPU makes bad contact with the heatsink, and they are using thermal pad instead of paste in an attempt to fix the issue because its thicker.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
the problem is i currently dont have a pc with me and i ordered this from Amazon USA. im currently in Qatar and if i wait for 3rd party cooling cards, i will be released. should i just return this and get RTX 2070 super? you think this will serve me for at least 2 years with this heat or should i just return it?

Yeah I wouldnt want to run the cards like this in a very hot place.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador

Cheers!
Why would you undervolt/underclock a more expensive GPU like the 5700XT when they could be a cooler running card like the 2060/2060 Super that doesn't have cooling issues, and could run at full tilt without any ridiculous undervolting?

Why would you undervolt/underclock a more expensive GPU like the 5700XT when they could be a cooler running card like the 2060/2060 Super that doesn't have cooling issues, and could run at full tilt without any ridiculous undervolting?
Because it's a PITA to change the card immediately until a more permanent solution can be had?

You're not wrong in suggesting a card replacement, but the GPU itself is not defective to justify a warranty claim. Did you even read he got the card from Qatar?

Cheers!

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Because it's a PITA to change the card immediately until a more permanent solution can be had?

You're not wrong in suggesting a card replacement, but the GPU itself is not defective to justify a warranty claim. Did you even read he got the card from Qatar?

Cheers!
Yes, and my answer to that would be to return the card and get a RTX 2060/2070 Super based on the higher temperatures in Qatar, rather than pay for a 5700 XT and get lower performance.

Yes, and my answer to that would be to return the card and get a RTX 2060/2070 Super based on the higher temperatures in Qatar, rather than pay for a 5700 XT and get lower performance.
As I said, you're not wrong in recommending the switch, but an undervolt & underclock won't make the card perform worse than a 2060S. I believe you're blowing your argument out of proportion. Do you have an agenda to push?

Cheers!

guadalajara296

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
Make sure your case fans are on high and have good ventilation in and out. I was able to reduce my from 60 to 43 just by cleaning the air path from part clutter and cranking the fans up to high. My problem is my office is in hottest room in the house. working on a water cool solution block in future.

Aug 9, 2019
You might want to check the thermal past. I have a Gigabyte 5700XT that I just water cooled. When I removed the stock fan shroud and heatsink, there was hardly no themal paste touching the GPU. All the paste was on the heatsink with just a tiny drop in the center of the GPU.

Aug 14, 2019

Actually, Timmy Joe PC Tech did a video on aftermarket GPU Coolers for the 5700 xt. He said that the Accelero III is to avoid. Take a look at this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0eYigMcgpg