Question RX 5700 XT Thermal Pads Thickness ?

Mar 5, 2023
Well, I oreder few days ago new Thermal Pads, for 8.99£, and the results are worse than with original (dryied) one, cuz hitting max 96-98C. I know is in specs, but could be lower, and safer.

I used the same thickness (2mm I guess) or at least the thickness, comparing to old one, side by side.

What's the actual thickness of pads in RED Devil 5700Xt ? Cuz some people saying is 1.5m, some 2mm, and I ordered 2mm of GP solution extreme (or ultimate, with amazon you never know) for 20£ and at least in title is 12W/mk so is 6 more than those blue ones for 8.99£. But am I be alright with 2mm thickness ?

Lutfij

Titan
Got a link to the thermal pads you got?. What about the application of the thermal paste? Speaking of paste, what brand of thermal paste are you working with? While you were replacing the thermals pads, did you take a ruler to measure the pads on the GPU that came from the factory?

Reactions: Inver_ShaRingan
Mar 5, 2023
Got a link to the thermal pads you got?. What about the application of the thermal paste? Speaking of paste, what brand of thermal paste are you working with? While you were replacing the thermals pads, did you take a ruler to measure the pads on the GPU that came from the factory?

So here is a link Gelid Solutions GP-Ultimate 12W-Thermal Pad 120x20x2.0 (2pcs) Excellent Heat Conduction, Ideal Gap Filler. Easy Installation : Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Thermal Paste will be reaplicate with MX5 from arctic. I did measured by comparing factory to new one (have no such thing at my home 🙈). But have no idea what thickness is on it, but they was identical. But after oredering, I read that they can be also 1.5mm. And now Im not sure if 2mm would be bad or no.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I ordered 2mm of GP solution extreme (or ultimate, with amazon you never know) for 20£ and at least in title is 12W/mk so is 6 more than those blue ones for 8.99£.
Thickness isn't the only factor with these things, even if a caliper was used.
The degree of hardness is the other variable, completely unknown, and what USUALLY leads to a poor experience with thermal pad changes.

That's the only clue you get to hardness, as the higher that number is, the harder they are.
IF you properly measured the original pads, and got new ones of the same thickness, then the current situation means that the new ones are too hard.
IF you didn't measure the originals, well... the new ones could be too thick, too hard, or both.

Cuz some people saying is 1.5m, some 2mm
You get mixed responses because of the hardness, such as:
-using thicker pads than the original, but they are soft.
-using thinner pads than the original, but they are hard.
Because there are effectively multiple ways to get a successful mount, you're not getting a 'what's the best pads to use'.