[SOLVED] Rx 5700xt or 2070 S for workstation?

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Hey all,

So I'm putting together a ryzen 9 3900x build, and am trying to decide between the EVGA hybrid cooled 2070S or a Radeon 5700XT for a wokstation (with occasional gaming).

My main programs used are Adobe XD, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Aftereffects, with limited use of Blender as well as some heavy compiling. The reason I was looking at the hybrid cooled rtx 2070s is because quiet operation is pretty important to me in this build.

I saw some benchmarks where the 5700xt kept up with the 2080 in some productivity programs, and considering it's lower price, it has a strong appeal. I was thinking that if I went with the 5700xt, I could eventually upgrade whenever AMD releases their ray tracing cards; however I am a little disappointed there isn't currently a hybrid cooled model of the 5700xt available, since I've heard it runs pretty hot and loud. On the other hand with the 2070s I might not upgrade for a bit.

One more thing- I plan on getting a 1440P 144 hz monitor for this build.

Thanks!

Solution
I wouldn't bother with an AIO cooled GPU.

Have you determined that you NEED that class of GPU? If you can use a lower tier card that uses less power, that means less heat to dissipate and less noise required to dissipate the heat.
I wouldn't bother with an AIO cooled GPU.

Have you determined that you NEED that class of GPU? If you can use a lower tier card that uses less power, that means less heat to dissipate and less noise required to dissipate the heat.

Solution

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
The only really demanding games I see myself playing in the short term are borderlands 3 and Cyberpunk. As for most of the programs I use, the CPU is definitely most important, but a few support GPU acceleration.

Another reason I'm looking at these for this resolution is future proofing, albeit less so with the 5700xt.

Does the 2070s run quietly without the AIO?