[SOLVED] RX 5700XT Random Black Screens issue

danielkassem

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
I upgraded from RX 580 to RX 5700XT (asus rog strix if u want to know the model). When I used the RX 580, there we no issues with black screens, I didnt even have any issues at all! Now with the upgrade, I kind of have tiny stutters here and there and on top of that, black screens. So it's just bland experience after getting rx 5700xt.

Now let's get into the depth of my situation. Before my screen goes black, my computer would stutter, my mouse would literally stay still (even though im moving my mouse physically) and after a second, my screen would go black for around a second and return to its normal state. When the screen returns, Radeon software crashes and my game would also crash but nothing else would crash. When my game crashes, it tends to say "DXG11 Error", something along those lines. This happens extremely randomly, watching youtube, playing a game etc...

I have found out that being inside the task manager and watching my gpu usage, my 3D and Video Decode would spike up from 0 to 100% but my cpu, ram and other components are still fine.

And no its not my cable and let me tell you why, first off, i've got 2 monitors, and when this bug happens, it goes black for both of my screens, at the same time.
I've also tried changing port and etc, no difference at all.

The only solution to this is to simply restart the pc and the issue would go away for a few days, after that it comes back. If I dont restart my computer and let my pc get black screens, my computer would eventually crash into the blue screen, but it's kind of rare and takes a long time for it do so. But heres the picture below containing the error.

Solutions i've tried but didn't work
Undervolt card
Clean installed the GPU drivers with DDU (20.8.3, also happened to previous drivers)
Searched the computer for any viruses (didnt find any)

Any help would be much appreciated! Been going through this for a long time now :(

stay safe, and have a good day sexi bois

Solution
UPDATE:
I got it to work, without upgrading PSU. The only thing I had to do was to lower my Memory frequency from 2933MHz to 2733MHz. Slightly dissapointing numbers but definetly got rid of most of the issues I had, especially the black screen. The reason im updating is for future users experiencing same issue as I had, so make sure you don't overclock too much of you're RAM. And maybe try to underclock it.

Good luck to the future users experiencing same damn issue I had. Hope you fix it :)

danielkassem

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
I just recently built my pc in pcpartpicker.com and found out that the estimated wattage is 450, and I have 500w, so is that where the issue is?

The thing that confuses me is that, it happens in random points, whether im gaming or not, because it would make more sense if it happened during gaming because it requires more power when ur gaming in demanding games.

So is this issue caused by my power supply? And if so, am I forced to buy one?

danielkassem

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
I agree... 500w is a bit too low considering 2600x is to my knowledge a bit power hungry + 5700xt. I have undervolted the card all the way too 1107mV and for now, it's fine. No stutters and haven't got issues yet. I'll update if the issue comes back, for now thank you for ur assistance :)

Last edited:

danielkassem

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
please do, enjoy your new GPU man :)
Thank you!

Unfortunately the issue returned... It seems like PSU will be the only thing left for me to buy in order to get this annoying issue away. What gets me worried though is that some people have had the exact same issue as I have and they upgraded PSU, CPU even mb and etc, and none of that worked for them. So if it is the case for me than im kind of screwed.

So I'm thinking of upgrading PSU, but if it wont work, I guess I'll have to return my 5700xt which I bought 2 months ago and get a Nvidia card...

Really is a terrible thing to deal with :( Have used tons of my hours trying to fix this issue and if the PSU doesnt fix it, ill simply have to accept the defeat.

(edit)

My last resort, I have used DDU and AMD cleanup utility and got 20.4.2 drivers, if this does not work, than I can't think of anything else to do other than getting myself a PSU

Last edited:
Thank you!

Unfortunately the issue returned... It seems like PSU will be the only thing left for me to buy in order to get this annoying issue away. What gets me worried though is that some people have had the exact same issue as I have and they upgraded PSU, CPU even mb and etc, and none of that worked for them. So if it is the case for me than im kind of screwed.

So I'm thinking of upgrading PSU, but if it wont work, I guess I'll have to return my 5700xt which I bought 2 months ago and get a Nvidia card...

Really is a terrible thing to deal with :( Have used tons of my hours trying to fix this issue and if the PSU doesnt fix it, ill simply have to accept the defeat.

(edit)

My last resort, I have used DDU and AMD cleanup utility and got 20.4.2 drivers, if this does not work, than I can't think of anything else to do other than getting myself a PSU
You could try to buy a PSU at a store that takes returns?

danielkassem

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
UPDATE:
I got it to work, without upgrading PSU. The only thing I had to do was to lower my Memory frequency from 2933MHz to 2733MHz. Slightly dissapointing numbers but definetly got rid of most of the issues I had, especially the black screen. The reason im updating is for future users experiencing same issue as I had, so make sure you don't overclock too much of you're RAM. And maybe try to underclock it.

Good luck to the future users experiencing same damn issue I had. Hope you fix it :)

Reactions: Quanticriver
Solution
Dec 17, 2020
UPDATE:

Hey man, I've been having a very similar issue recently with my RX 5700 XT Red Dragon and I was wondering if you're referring to system RAM or Video RAM when you say you underclocked it?