Question RX 5700xt restarting system while gaming.

Jan 9, 2020
Recently got the Gigabyte version of the RX 5700xt, which ran smoothly for the first few days of usage, however for the past two or so days I've been experiencing random crashes/restarts while gaming. I've looked into it and found that people tend to have this problem with the current power supply I'm running (Corsair CX750m) on all kinds of system setups. I'm leaning towards it being a power supply problem, as the error log states "kernel error 41", indicating a lack of power being supplied to the system. Tried all of the other fixes I could find around the internet but none seemed to have worked. I can't manage to run a game for more than an hour without this crash/reboot happening, and am wondering if someone else has experienced this or has any suggestions as to what to do. System specs are as follows:
  • Ryzen 5 3600 (Not overclocked, cooled w/ cooler master hyper 212 black edition)
  • Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC (Driver version 19.12.3)
  • Gigabyte Aorus Elite B450 (Bios F40)
  • 16GB TridentZ RAM @ 3600Mhz
  • Corsair CX750M Power Supply
  • 256gb Samsung EVO SSD & 500gb WD Hard drive
  • Phanteks P400a Mesh w/ 3 intake & 3 exhaust fans (Cooling isn't an issue).
Edit: New PSU came in today. Set it up and played The Outerworlds for an hour or so without a hiccup. TL;DR Corsair CX750m couldn't sufficiently power my RX 5700XT, changed PSU to Seasonic Focus Gold (SSR-650FM), computer no longer restarts while gaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrgr74

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Recently got the Gigabyte version of the RX 5700xt, which ran smoothly for the first few days of usage, however for the past two or so days I've been experiencing random crashes/restarts while gaming. I've looked into it and found that people tend to have this problem with the current power supply I'm running (Corsair CX750m) on all kinds of system setups. I'm leaning towards it being a power supply problem, as the error log states "kernel error 41", indicating a lack of power being supplied to the system. Tried all of the other fixes I could find around the internet but none seemed to have worked. I can't manage to run a game for more than an hour without this crash/reboot happening, and am wondering if someone else has experienced this or has any suggestions as to what to do. System specs are as follows:
  • Ryzen 5 3600 (Not overclocked, cooled w/ cooler master hyper 212 black edition)
  • Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC (Driver version 19.12.3)
  • Gigabyte Aorus Elite B450 (Bios F40)
  • 16GB TridentZ RAM @ 3600Mhz
  • Corsair CX750M Power Supply
  • 256gb Samsung EVO SSD & 500gb WD Hard drive
  • Phanteks P400a Mesh w/ 3 intake & 3 exhaust fans (Cooling isn't an issue).

Hi @olliehole

What you read is correct. Get rid of the CX PSU. A resident guru will be along shortly to advise on a good unit but the CX units are not that good. I've only been on Tom's a very short time but it seems like just about every issue people have with their PSU's is because it's a CX unit. (Not really but you get my point.)

Very nice system you have otherwise!

Reactions: olliehole
Jan 9, 2020
Hi @olliehole

What you read is correct. Get rid of the CX PSU. A resident guru will be along shortly to advise on a good unit but the CX units are not that good. I've only been on Tom's a very short time but it seems like just about every issue people have with their PSU's is because it's a CX unit. (Not really but you get my point.)

Very nice system you have otherwise!
Thanks! Spent a few hours researching power supplies and narrowed it down to the Seasonic focus gold 650w (much better reviews and overall quality). Guess I'll be playing Minecraft until that comes in 😓

Jan 9, 2020
It's not PSU, 5700xt is the reason.
I have Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC and Seasonic focus gold 650w and it's been crashing all the time.
What is your monitor?

Jan 9, 2020
It's not PSU, 5700xt is the reason.
I have Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC and Seasonic focus gold 650w and it's been crashing all the time.
What is your monitor?
I definitely experienced crashes when using it, and a lot of them did seem to be because of the 5700XT, but these seem independent of it. I currently have a Benq GL2760H as my primary display (1080p 60hz on HDMI lol working on it) and an AOC G2460V (1080p 60hz on DP) as my secondary monitor. Are you experiencing the same reboot problems as me?

Jan 9, 2020
Update:
Just undervolted the card (using AMD's undervolt setting in Radeon Software, I don't know too much about overclocking & voltages) and ran furmark for ~15 minutes. Clock stabilized at about 1650mhz, voltage at about 950-1000, GPU @ 60c, Junction @ 90c, power draw rarely went over 200w, with no crashes or instability. I have to go to class right now but I'll test out some gaming on it when I get back.
Update 2:
Played the outerworlds for about 20 minutes, experienced the same crash. Almost entirely sure it's the PSU.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020
I know this is extremely late but I had these same issues and what fixed it for me was running command prompt as admin and running the command sfc.exe /scannow

118700653_745050549396581_6573153981935175951_n.png

If it shows that there were corrupted files then that was most likely the issue ^