Question RX 580 4GB vs GTX 980

Mar 1, 2019
Which graphic card is best among GTX 980 and RX 580 4GB (RX 580 4G model is cheaper than GTX 980 4G)

Somebody says Nvidia graphics are more realistic than AMD RX graphics..Is it true ?

Mar 1, 2019
The 980. If you're here to start a flame war, this thread will come to an end. Just giving you a friendly reminder ;)
Thanks for your comment..No, I'm not a fan boy of either companies..at your point of view you recommend GTX 980 over much newer RX 580..Do you think it will perform well in newer Direct-X 12 games ?

Actually 30+ playable fps enough for me..but I want to know which one is best for the price..and What is more future proof model ?

I also have a great feeling about GTX 980 as it was a high end model of 9 series and RX 580/570 usually fights with mid range last generation GTX 1060 6G/3G models

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019
What's the price difference between the two? If you're playing at 1080p and 30 fps is all you require then the 580 is plenty. The performance difference between the two isn't large, might even disappear in some games.

RX 580 is around $130
GTX 980 is around $166

1080p enough but should be somewhat future proof..even if I tell 30 fps enough I expect buttery smooth game play

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019
If you just care about being able to achieve 1080p/30+ fps might as well save yourself the $36. Neither card is particularly "future proof", but the 580 would be better performance per dollar.

I know bro..Future proof means I want to use it until the next year..Can I use either of this cards with Dual Rails 12V (18+18) 36 Amps PSU (the PSU brand: FSP HEXA+550W..I know it's not a good PSU..but no money left to buy a new PSU and branded PSUs are over priced in my country..I never gonna overclock the GPU..I use Core i5-4590+B85 MB+2xSATA HDD)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I don't know if under volting works as well on GTX 900 cards, or if it's even possible without modding the BIOS. I just know that RX 400 an 500 cards are known for undervolting well and it's quite easy to do, and have personally shaved 20-30 W off of RX 580 power consumption just through an undervolt.

Mar 1, 2019
I don't know if under volting works as well on GTX 900 cards, or if it's even possible without modding the BIOS. I just know that RX 400 an 500 cards are known for undervolting well and it's quite easy to do, and have personally shaved 20-30 W off of RX 580 power consumption just through an undervolt.
Anyway Thanks brother 👍

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
GTX 980 13 Amps means quite low..Are you sure about that ? What about Asus Strix 980 ?

Yes, its quite easy to work it out. I tend to use techpowerup reviews as they show the wattage, then its straight forward to convert the wattage to amps as we know it uses 12v.

The strix is about the same wattage, so makes no difference.

Nvidia cards have been a lot more power efficient in recent years vs AMDs cards.

Mar 1, 2019
Yes, its quite easy to work it out. I tend to use techpowerup reviews as they show the wattage, then its straight forward to convert the wattage to amps as we know it uses 12v.

The strix is about the same wattage, so makes no difference.

Nvidia cards have been a lot more power efficient in recent years vs AMDs cards.
GTX 980 reference uses 165W (around 14 Amps) (to the best of my knowledge) but when playing games ? (In some site I saw it consumes upto 300W) a lot more than my old Sapphire Radeon R9 280

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
GTX 980 reference uses 165W (around 14 Amps) (to the best of my knowledge) but when playing games ? (In some site I saw it consumes upto 300W) a lot more than my old Sapphire Radeon R9 280

Where are you getting them figures?

Im talking about just the wattage/ampage for the card, not the whole system... Some sites will tell you the whole system usage, some just the card depending on how they measure it.

Im going by techpowerups actual measured figures for the cards. Theres no way a gtx 980 uses 300w...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The standard power ratings are:

GTX 980: 165W
RX 580: 180W

That said, while the GTX 980 has a performance edge over the RX580, it's only a small edge.

In any case, I'm assuming that you're looking at a used GTX 980, and a new RX580. I don't know where you're located, but generally used cards don't have any warranty.

If you're only interested in smooth 30fps+ at 1080p, you might consider saving some more money and getting an RX570 then. Its standard power rating is 150W, and while a little slower than the RX580, is still considered good for 1080p gaming.

Here's the US prices for RX570 and RX580 cards, both 4GB and 8GB variants of each, sorted by price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=392,391&sort=price&page=1

Somebody says Nvidia graphics are more realistic than AMD RX graphics..Is it true ?

Whoever that somebody is, they're full of crap. Different models of AMD and Nvidia cards have greater and lesser performance, and Nvidia's fastest card outperforms (and is far more expensive than) AMD's top card, but that's about it.

I suppose if they meant that Nvidia's RTX cards have ray-tracing, there might be some merit to it, but ray-tracing causes a significant performance hit for that extra detail/realism. But ray-tracing ONLY exists on Nvidia's RTX 20-series cards, not on any of the GTX 16, 10, or 9 series.

Mar 1, 2019
The standard power ratings are:

GTX 980: 165W
RX 580: 180W

That said, while the GTX 980 has a performance edge over the RX580, it's only a small edge.

In any case, I'm assuming that you're looking at a used GTX 980, and a new RX580. I don't know where you're located, but generally used cards don't have any warranty.

If you're only interested in smooth 30fps+ at 1080p, you might consider saving some more money and getting an RX570 then. Its standard power rating is 150W, and while a little slower than the RX580, is still considered good for 1080p gaming.

Here's the US prices for RX570 and RX580 cards, both 4GB and 8GB variants of each, sorted by price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=392,391&sort=price&page=1

Whoever that somebody is, they're full of crap. Different models of AMD and Nvidia cards have greater and lesser performance, and Nvidia's fastest card outperforms (and is far more expensive than) AMD's top card, but that's about it.

I suppose if they meant that Nvidia's RTX cards have ray-tracing, there might be some merit to it, but ray-tracing causes a significant performance hit for that extra detail/realism. But ray-tracing ONLY exists on Nvidia's RTX 20-series cards, not on any of the GTX 16, 10, or 9 series.
I'm gonna buy a used GTX 980 or RX 580/570 (both Nvidia and RX cards have very limited warranty)

So In 2019 if I want smooth game playing experience, GTX 980 still has performance edge over last generation RX cards ?

I have some problems with AMD Radeon's Longevity and Durability..Even older GTX cards still works fine without errors but Radeon cards wear off quickly (my personal opinion)

I know GTX 980 is older than RX 580/570..But Nvidia has some secret formula to performs in games better

If I want 60+ fps with Ultra details in latest games while saving power you recommend GTX 980 or RX 570 ? (In my country even used GTX 1060 6GBs are still expensive and I'm looking for GTX 980 because that 2014 4GB card still runs neck to neck with GTX 1060 6GB)

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited: