Question RX 580 4GB vs GTX 980

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 1, 2019
Which graphic card is best among GTX 980 and RX 580 4GB (RX 580 4G model is cheaper than GTX 980 4G)

Somebody says Nvidia graphics are more realistic than AMD RX graphics..Is it true ?

mgallo848

Commendable
I'm gonna buy a used GTX 980 or RX 580/570 (both Nvidia and RX cards have very limited warranty)

So In 2019 if I want smooth game playing experience, GTX 980 still has performance edge over last generation RX cards ?

I have some problems with AMD Radeon's Longevity and Durability..Even older GTX cards still works fine without errors but Radeon cards wear off quickly (my personal opinion)

I know GTX 980 is older than RX 580/570..But Nvidia has some secret formula to performs in games better

If I want 60+ fps with Ultra details in latest games while saving power you recommend GTX 980 or RX 570 ? (In my country even used GTX 1060 6GBs are still expensive and I'm looking for GTX 980 because that 2014 4GB card still runs neck to neck with GTX 1060 6GB)

Please correct me if I'm wrong
Sorry but you made two points that are 100% wrong. There is no magic formula that makes them last longer. I can't begin to tell you how many video cards I've owned in 20 years and I have had cards die that we're both Nvidia and AMD. The GTX 980 has lasted so long is because it was a $500 card when it was brand new , the AMD was half that price when released.

If you want to compare apples to apples you would have to pick the second fastest card currently on the market which is the RTX 2080 that would be comparable todays market to what the GTX 980 meant during its release

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Mar 1, 2019
Sorry but you made two points that are 100% wrong. There is no magic formula that makes them last longer. I can't begin to tell you how many video cards I've owned in 20 years and I have had cards die that we're both Nvidia and AMD. The GTX 980 has lasted so long is because it was a $500 card when it was brand new , the AMD was half that price when released.

If you want to compare apples to apples you would have to pick the second fastest card currently on the market which is the RTX 2080 that would be comparable todays market to what the GTX 980 meant during its release
Yeah..I'm not an expert..but that is the point bro..GTX 980 was Nvidia's 9 series High end premium card while RX card is a budget friendly card..Therefore GTX lasts long..I don't want to even think about RTX 2080 which makes me cry 😩 (because I can't afford it..Can you believe, In my country RTX 2080 is around USD 1800 in the local shops 🥶🥶🥶)

My budget is very tight and fits with only RX 570/580, GTX 970 or GTX 980..That's the problem 😥

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If both cards are used items, go for the 980. I run a gtx970 OC at 124%, so pretty close to the 980 performance, if not better in some places. There's not a game I own that gets less than 60fps at ultra settings, but most of that is because of the cpu, not the gpu.

The cpu sets fps limit, gpu sets details and resolution and tries to live upto the fps the cpu sets. CSGO I get solid 300fps. Doesn't matter if low, medium or ultra, I get 300fps. That's the limit my cpu can do. Heavily modded Skyrim, I get 60fps. Unmodded Skyrim I get over 250fps. Again, cpu limits. And my cpu is i7-3770K at 4.6GHz. All that run on Evga 550w G2.

Considering your cpu, it's lack of OC ability, you could run either 980 or 580 on a decent 550w psu. A mediocre psu, no, only the 980. And neither on a cheap built 550w psu. The Hexa+ 550w is solidly mediocre.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
So In 2019 if I want smooth game playing experience, GTX 980 still has performance edge over last generation RX cards ?
The GTX 980 does have a little bit of a performance edge over the RX 570 and RX 580. Maybe the RX590 would keep up with it, but, at least in the US, the price increase of the 590 vs the580 doesn't justify the performance increase.

I have some problems with AMD Radeon's Longevity and Durability..Even older GTX cards still works fine without errors but Radeon cards wear off quickly (my personal opinion)

My experience has been the opposite. In any case, it's anecdotal, and hasn't been a real issue for either Nvidia or AMD.

I know GTX 980 is older than RX 580/570..But Nvidia has some secret formula to performs in games better
No they don't. The GTX 980 is just a slightly faster card.

It's sounding to me more like you want an Nvidia card regardless of anything.

If I want 60+ fps with Ultra details in latest games while saving power you recommend GTX 980 or RX 570 ? (In my country even used GTX 1060 6GBs are still expensive and I'm looking for GTX 980 because that 2014 4GB card still runs neck to neck with GTX 1060 6GB)

The GTX 980 will give you a slight edge over the RX 580, and the RX 580 has a slight edge over the RX 570.
I don't think I would pay an extra $36 to get the GTX 980. I don't know how much of a difference the prices are where you are for the RX 580 vs the RX 570. What country are you in?

Mar 1, 2019
It sounds like you're trying to sell yourself on Nvidia big time. If that's the case then go ahead but the justification you're making isn't correct.
I heard all your opinions and finally settled with MSI RX 570 4G..I had a good deal with 3 years warranty..I thought it is better than used higher end cards..Specially I would like to thank you

Reactions: King_V

mgallo848

Commendable
Good luck. Hope my post didn't come off as too harsh. With the mining craze from the last 18 months I'm just very, very cautious about buying used cards in 2019.

Now that mining has died off, I think you're going to see lots of them for sale on the used market.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm gonna buy a used GTX 980 or RX 580/570 (both Nvidia and RX cards have very limited warranty)

It's not that Nvidia has a secret formula, it's that a GTX 980 was as higher-end card, at the time of its release, the RX 580 at the time of its release. You can do that with any two random cards and get the opposite result; the 290x is much faster than the 1050 Ti released years later, AMD must have some secret formula! Or, more accurately, because you're comparing apples to oranges.

The 980 would be preferable to a 570 for 60+ ultra, but honestly, if you're buying something for future 60+ ultra, you ought to be looking at higher-tier GPU, which will be more expensive (and then the need to upgrade your PSU becomes even more urgent).

Mar 1, 2019
Either of those cards is a bit iffy with that PSU. I'd recommend under volting the RX 580 to reduce power consumption.
Please let me know What is the best selection among the following power supplies for my rig with RX 570

1.Corsair CX650M 80+ Bronze
2.SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze
3.FSP Hydro 600W 80+ Bronze
4.Gigabyte G750H 700W 80+ Gold
5.Cooler Master MasterWatt 750W 80+ Bronze

In my country I have very limited choices..So I want to know what is best among the above list of power supplies..Rank it top to bottom if you can

Mar 1, 2019
What's the price difference between the two? If you're playing at 1080p and 30 fps is all you require then the 580 is plenty. The performance difference between the two isn't large, might even disappear in some games.
Brother new problem..Black screen and buzzing sound from the speakers while playing high demanding games..Is that a faulty graphic card ? Should I change the GPU ?

Mar 1, 2019
Full system specs?

Use DDU in safe mode to uninstall any graphics drivers you have on your system then reinstall AMD drivers.

Core i5-4590, B85 motherboard, 2xSATA HDD, RX 570 4GB, SeaSonic Focus Plus 650W Gold PSU

My PSU is a semi-modular one and I used fixed PCI-E 8 pin to power up the GPU..I just unplugged that fixed 8 pin power connector and insert another PCI-E 8 pin only for the GPU (in another power modular)..I also -7 under volt the GPU..Looks like problem is fixed..but don't know what was the reason