Question RX 580 4gb

Nov 20, 2019
Greetings, my pc specs are as follows: i5-8500, rx580 nitro sapphire 4gb and chieftec proton 600w.
Can I overclock it safely without any risks?
Yes I have a bit of knowledge about how to oc.

You're fine. Your CPU isn't OC-able.

My system (i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz + RX480 @ 1300MHz) draws 270W at the wall (I run my RX480 @ 1400MHz/1150mV now, but I haven't tested system power draw with that setting) 90% efficient PSU, so ~250W load on the PSU. Of course there are short spikes past that which my Kill-a-Watt meter doesn't catch, but I've got a 550W PSU. I wouldn't imagine that you'd be able to get past 400W even with a HEAVY OC on your GPU.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019
Its a german company, many people use it here for high end builds, and it sustains them, it also has a 80 bronze, how much more watts will it consume, also is there such software to show wattage for the whole system.

bignastyid

Titan
Its a german company, many people use it here for high end builds, and it sustains them, it also has a 80 bronze, how much more watts will it consume, also is there such software to show wattage for the whole system.
They haven't been a german company for 15 years(https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chieftec ). Many people use them because they are cheap, not because they are good. 80 plus is a measure of efficiency not quality.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed - from the link in my sig - note that Chieftec is in this list:
Other models that IN GENERAL should never be trusted OR USED AT ALL, under any circumstances.

One or two of these brands listed below MIGHT have a single model or two that are cut from a completely different mold than what that brand is known for, but overall, if they are listed below they are primarily known for selling just plain junk and in many cases, very dangerous junk that lacks adequate protections or cannot even manage to sustain a fraction of whatever rated capacity their products might indicate on the specifications label.

Acbell, A-Top, AK Power, Alpine, Apevia, Apex (Supercase/Allied), Artic, Ace, Aerocool (There might be one model worth using, but I'd still avoid them.), Aspire (Turbocase), Atadc, Atrix, Broadway com corp, Chieftech, Circle, CIT, Coolmax, Deer, Diablotek, Dynapower, Dynex, Eagletech, Enlight, Eurotech, Evo labs, EZ cool, Feedtek, Foxconn, G7, HEC/Compucase Orion, HEDY, High power, iBall, iStar computer co., Jeantec, JPac, Just PC, Kolink, LC Power, Linkworld electronics, Logisys, Macron, MSI, Njoy, NmediaPC, Norwood Micro (CompUSA), Okia, Powercool, Powmax, Pulsepower, Q-tec, Raidmax, Rave, Rocketfish, Segotep, SFC, Sharkoon, Shuttle, Skyhawk, Spire, Startech, Storm, Sumvision, Tesla, Trust, Ultra, Wintech, Winpower, Xilence (Until I see a reputable review of a model showing different), xTreme (Cyberpower), Youngbear and Zebronics.

But you have to have some level of quality to achieve an 80+ Bronze efficiency certification....

I would certainly agree that Chieftec isn't regarded as high quality PSUs, but there's at least some signs of decency here. 80+ Bronze, the full 50A/600W on the [single] +12V rail, and 600W is plenty of wattage overhead.

DSzymborski

Titan
But you have to have some level of quality to achieve an 80+ Bronze efficiency certification....

I would certainly agree that Chieftec isn't regarded as high quality PSUs, but there's at least some signs of decency here. 80+ Bronze, the full 50A/600W on the [single] +12V rail, and 600W is plenty of wattage overhead.

There's some correlation, of course, but garbage can get a Bronze rating.

Regardless, the lack of a review is a dealbreaker. Unless the specific PSU or the exact platform is on has a proper review, it's a no-go. As safety equipment, PSUs are guilty until proven innocent.

Reactions: King_V

bignastyid

Titan

Not really. Raidmax, for example, has a couple gold rated units that are garbage. All you have to do is send a "golden sample" in for testing.