Question RX 580 8 GB crashing issue

Jun 10, 2022
Hi

I had an R9 390 4 GB which has been running fine without any issues and with the latest drivers installed, but unfortunately, that card died some days ago.

And now I have Asus RX 580 8 GB. When I installed RX 580 I didn't remove drivers, so I kept playing games with the drivers of R9 390 4 GB so the game wasn't crashing at all.

But, then I decided to uninstall drivers because it said I had conflicts between drivers' versions since I was running the drivers of R9 390 on the RX 580 GPU.

So, I uninstalled drivers from the dead GPU R9 390 and then I installed the latest drivers of RX 580 8 GB.
But, every time I play any games, after 1 min it crashes. I have a 700W Cooler Master Plus gold and the issue isn't on PSU.

Specs are:
  • Ryzen 3600
  • 16 GB G.Skill DDR4 2600 MHz
  • MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
  • Cooler Master MWE 700 White V2 - 700W
  • Samsung PM961 Polaris 512GB M.2
  • Asus RX 580 8 GB dual
So far I have tried these methods:
  • Cleaning GPU and replacing the thermal paste
  • DDU uninstall
  • Installing different driver versions
rMBrxeT.png

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What is the exact PSU? "700W PSU" tells us nothing more than "16-gallon gas tank car."

How do you know the PSU isn't the issue? Did you swap out with another PSU and everything was fine? If so, what is that exact PSU?

And if you didn't swap out the PSU, can you share the data you got with the load tester and oscilloscope?

Jun 10, 2022
What is the exact PSU? "700W PSU" tells us nothing more than "16-gallon gas tank car."

How do you know the PSU isn't the issue? Did you swap out with another PSU and everything was fine? If so, what is that exact PSU?

And if you didn't swap out the PSU, can you share the data you got with the load tester and oscilloscope?
Because I tested the old GPU RX 390 4 GB and I never had any issues for 3-4 months until it died because it was an old GPU.
I also tested my game with a new GPU RX 6700 which is a new GPU and it wasn't crashing at all.

My PSU is Cooler Master 700W Plus gold.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Because I tested the old GPU RX 390 4 GB and I never had any issues for 3-4 months until it died because it was an old GPU.
I also tested my game with new GPU RX 6700 which is a new GPU and it wasn't crashing at all.

My PSU is Cooler Master 700W Gold.

That doesn't mean anything. PSUs can kill GPUs slowly over time or all at once.

The only Gold-rated Cooler Master PSU at this exact wattage is the Cooler Master V700. Is that the exact model?

Rather than play 20 Questions, please list your full specs -- and be specific -- and any other information you have about this situation like the RX 6700 which only popped up in a follow-up comment. And is this RX 580 used or new?

Jun 10, 2022
That doesn't mean anything. PSUs can kill GPUs slowly over time or all at once.

The only Gold-rated Cooler Master PSU at this exact wattage is the Cooler Master V700. Is that the exact model?

Rather than play 20 Questions, please list your full specs -- and be specific -- and any other information you have about this situation like the RX 6700 which only popped up in a follow-up comment. And is this RX 580 used or new?
It's Cooler Master MWE 700 White V2 - 700W.

The GPU is used because I bought it from the marketplace.

I also have tried RX 580 8 GB on my other PC which had a 750W Seasonic PSU and it was crashing on that PC too.

Specs are:
  • Ryzen 3600
  • 16 GB G.Skill DDR4 2600 MHz
  • MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
  • Cooler Master MWE 700 White V2 - 700W
  • Samsung PM961 Polaris 512GB M.2
  • Asus RX 580 8 GB dual

TRENDING THREADS