[SOLVED] RX 580 8 GB - Fan Question

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
Well this might sound very stupid but it happened: I had opened my case to clean the face plate of the video card like I do every week as my place is very, very dusty.

As I was grabbing my lint free microfiber cloth I didn't realize that I grabbed my friendship bracelet and one of the strings got caught in the front fan
I immediately turned my fans off with MSI Afterburner and was able to get the string out that was caught

This is how thin the string that was caught - View: https://imgur.com/a/bqP6Utu
it was like underneath the middle circle part but I could see a little bit at the fan blades to be able to get it and lightly pulled at the string to get it out

I turned the fans back on with MSI Afterburner and that fan is still spinning, not making noise what so ever so should I be concerned about replacing that fan?

I know there easy to replace since there Quick Connect Fan's but I couldn't do that myself also I put the fans to 100% with MSI Afterburner for 5mins and they both ran at full speed and still running right now.

Solution
It takes a lot more than just an unexpected stop to damage a low-power brushless DC motor. As long as nothing wedged itself between the rotor and the rest of the fan or you don't break fan blades off, it should run fine until the bearings wear out.

You know a fan is worn out when hearing it makes you feel like tossing the whole thing out the window.

InvalidError

Titan
It takes a lot more than just an unexpected stop to damage a low-power brushless DC motor. As long as nothing wedged itself between the rotor and the rest of the fan or you don't break fan blades off, it should run fine until the bearings wear out.

You know a fan is worn out when hearing it makes you feel like tossing the whole thing out the window.

Solution

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
Nope as I'm doing it with one of these an Air Duster and one of these to get anything it might of missed - View: https://imgur.com/a/SPTFy6P

I clean the Microfiber cloth at least once a week by hand so it doesn't get mixed with anything else.

I highly recommend you turn off the system and flip that PSU switch to off the moment you want to take your hands inside a PC case.

The things you use to clean it is fine.

Reactions: EsmaFingerpin

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
I highly recommend you turn off the system and flip that PSU switch to off the moment you want to take your hands inside a PC case.

The things you use to clean it is fine.

Trust me I will be in the future

Question: With a dusty environment how often should I be cleaning it?

Cause I always a lot of dust on it weekly but someone told me I should be only doing it monthly?

InvalidError

Titan
Question: With a dusty environment how often should I be cleaning it?

Cause I always a lot of dust on it weekly but someone told me I should be only doing it monthly?
Does your case have dust filters on all intake fans? My room isn't a beacon of neatness, I clean my case filters roughly every other months (when there is enough dust stuck to the front of my PC to bother taking the front panel off for cleaning since that usually means the filter behind it is close to packed) and the amount of dust that makes it inside is hardly worth cleaning even once a year.

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
Does your case have dust filters on all intake fans?

Yes there are dust filters on the front Intake fans yes and a filter on the top of the case for that fan as well, the side case fan one doesn't have one so that's probably how its getting dusty more but even before I had that side case fan there would be dust too.

Case Filters - View: https://imgur.com/a/TyebAOW

I've have an this even - https://www.guardiantechnologies.co...-odor-reduction-22-inch-tower-by-germguardian

I have to replace the filter to it every 3 months cause it will look like this after 3 months and the filters are supposed to last 6 months usually - View: https://imgur.com/a/Pgv5KmE

So its like I have no idea what to do to keep dust down inside my tower

This house is old and has to be redone but my roommates and myself have been waiting close to 1 year for that and I expect us to be waiting a while yet the landlord is still not finished doing the other property yet before our's as we will be going to the other property he is working on now while he does this one so he needs to finish that one first if that makes sense as he doesn't have any 2 bedrooms available other then that one he's working on.

Last edited:

KroolYouTube

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
I personally have an R11 that I sometimes leave open cased due to my room getting warm quick. I do find myself blowing out and cleaning a little bit more dust than I would with my case on. But I have also noticed a slight difference with an air purifier. On my desktop stand, which is literally just a repurposed square side table, I have an air purifier that collects some of the dust particles that are floating around the open side of my case; It doesn't quite solve the problem, but I think it could help anyone even a little bit with dust issues.

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
I have an air purifier that collects some of the dust particles that are floating around the open side of my case; It doesn't quite solve the problem, but I think it could help anyone even a little bit with dust issues.

I'm not sure where I would put it here's pictures of my room - View: https://imgur.com/a/N2LnLKM

And to add another $30.00 for filters for a small HEPA Air Purifier when I have this one - https://www.guardiantechnologies.co...-odor-reduction-22-inch-tower-by-germguardian

Would make no sense that's $40.00 for big filters and $30.00 for small ones = $70.00 on filters every 3 months.

KroolYouTube

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
Again, not some physics or tech genius but I think possibly having a fan there could be a part of the issue? Stand up fans collect dust and throw some back out through the other side which is near your case; even if it's not pointed towards it I think it's still catering to the issue.
I would try putting your fan on the left wall facing where-ever you want it (I would face it towards the PC for a little bit of extra cooling). I would then maybe find a small table or even scoot over your tower just a wee bit if possible and get a small cylindrical air purifier to collect the dust left over from your fan and whatever is in the air.
My hypothesis is you're gaining a little bit of external cooling without the fan attracting the dust towards your PC area. The air purifier will clean up what's left behind from the air pushed out from your fan. Basically, clean air cooling. Not sure.

Another possible way to help (just thought about this after posting and looking at the photo again) is to run an open case setup. In most cases people see a slight improvement in temps especially in small cases where heat can kind of just sit. What if you got a rather small fan to put on your table, facing outwards right next to the open case. This should pull and collect dust onto the backside of the fan directly from the open case while also pulling out the warm air. Just an idea :)

When it comes to the downside of $70 every 3 months, I'm sure there's a viable work around on this. I know it can be expensive sometimes but when dealt an unfortunate hand when it comes to PC's, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I don't know everyones financial position, but I think $0.77 a day to reduce your dust issue is better than letting it collect and potentially forgetting about it, thus running higher temps and wearing down your hardware a little quicker.

Last edited:

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
I would try putting your fan on the left wall facing where-ever you want it (I would face it towards the PC for a little bit of extra cooling). I would then maybe find a small table or even scoot over your tower just a wee bit if possible and get a small cylindrical air purifier to collect the dust left over from your fan and whatever is in the air.

Umm your saying that pink fan beside the computer should be pointed right at it, What happens when it turns 25C out and it feels like 35C in my room (cause I live upstairs in a house) to be too hot in my room?

Even if the Air Conditioner is on with it on 24 (cool temp) unless there is something blowing at me it would be too hot in my room for me.

Even if I pointed it to my Computer right now without it blowing on me it feels warm in my room thats why its at the angle its at slightly towards the pc and towards me at the same time.

Here's a front picture of the front of desk, computer, tv, router (smaller black thing) - View: https://imgur.com/a/Ls6S0wG

Show me where you see room on my desk, If i was to move the router to the other side of the TV to make more room for a small HEPA or small desktop fan then there would be no wi-fi in the kitchen as the router be near the front of the house

Where that green sheet is in the pictures of my room basically is the front of the house window there was no window blinds provided for the upstairs so I put sheets over the windows and the coax cable isn't long enough to reach the smaller end table as I've tried that already.

Last edited:

KroolYouTube

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
I had acknowledged the fact of your limited space on your desk. If you wish to keep the large fan, you can also try my second method which doesn't involve your large fan. It looks like you have open space behind your monitor. You can simply scoot it (router) over a little bit more, also scooting over your tower.
Now that you should have another ~3in of space to the left of your tower, you can try running the open case setup giving your case some breathing room, pairing it with small desk/table fan to pull the dust into. This would also need to be cleaned on probably an annoying time basis, but should work given fans literally pull in and slightly filter the air. Even if the fan didn't collect much dust on the back side of it, it's still pushing back out a significant amount of the dust particles that would otherwise just fall right onto your hardware.

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
you can try running the open case setup giving your case some breathing room, pairing it with small desk/table fan to pull the dust into. This would also need to be cleaned on probably an annoying time basis, but should work given fans literally pull in and slightly filter the air.

Wait how would it be any different then the side case fan that's already on that side of the case? There is a case fan on the same side of where that standing fan is that blows towards everything inside the computer.

There are a total of 5 fans in this computer - Two front Intake Fans, 1 Side Intake Fan, 1 Back Exhaust Fan, 1 Upper Case Exhaust Fan

Run an open case set up with 2 cats, 1 dog, 1 Hamster that live in this house and sometimes both cats are upstairs in the room right across from mine ....... Right your funny 😂

What if one day I open my bedroom door and my cat runs into my room like she's done on a numerous occasions?

They don't even come into my room at all unless my cat runs in like she has then I get her out straight away and you can see the pet hair inside the tower with it closed you really want me to risk having it open?

The back of my Hepa Air Filter the Carbon Filter is filled with pet hair once a week that I have to vacum it so I don't think thats a good idea.

Plus that's a 43 Inch Smart UHD TV not a monitor and Samsung tells people not to put stuff that can interfere with the TV behind it and I'm sitting about 4-5 feet from it.

Last edited:

KroolYouTube

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
This honestly sounds like a rant session more than someone seeking help. I was giving very basic potential ways to reduce dust.
Instead of replying with generic responses like myself, you're spewing sarcastic statements left and right.
I suggest going to a therapist before asking an online community for help and then becoming unhinged over it..

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
This honestly sounds like a rant session more than someone seeking help
I suggest going to a therapist before asking an online community for help and then becoming unhinged over it..

All I asked was how would an open case be any different then a side case fan thats already on that side of the case?

You can't even answer it for one you wanna know why? Cause there is no difference i even asked that of computer techs I personally know and they told me not to since I have pets in this house who could come into this room and damage everything inside the tower with long hair cats they could easily make everything to filled with cat hair.

You going pay for the therapist? There not free in Canada and I been to one before they don't help worth a whole lot same as counseling my first husband and I went to counseling paid $30.00 a session she didn't help us worth a whole lot we wasted about $150.00 around that on sessions when we could put that money to better use like let's say a car payment or towards a new computer or upgrade.

You don't know me so don't give suggestions of therapist to someone you don't personally know I could suggest you go back to college to learn more about computers since it seems I know more then you do that cat hair could easily get caught let's just say the cpu for instance and make it stop spinning cause its full of cat hair .... I'm supposed pay another $310.00 for a cpu I just upgraded and $100.00+ for someone to put in for me since I can't?

But you know what I'm not like you and won't suggest that all I will say is don't attack people when you don't know there living situations, if they have pets long hair or short hair it don't matter that pet hair will get inside a tower, there well being, etc

Trust me my best friend has a short hair therapy dog and I see her computer filled with dog hair when I help her clean it every month since she's has mental condition and unable to hold air duster without making it spray liquid everytime it sprays out.

Last edited: