Question Rx 580 8GB and Forza Horizon 4 - lower FPS than most people

mistyrain

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Hello Guys,

I have Ryzen 5 2600 + Gigabyte RX 580 8 GB + 16 RAM 3000 MhZ

The problem is that I am playing Horizon 4. when compared with website reviews, videos, etc. people manage to play it on Ultra with same specs and get to 60-75 fps (same as reviews). However, I manage to play 45-73 only on High (which is one step lower). All drivers updates, PC is is almost empty since it is used only for gaming so not much stuff on it. CPU mostly goes to 50% as load and the Gpu is around 80-90.

The benchmark of the game even gives me 45. This guys with R3 2200 does much better and he is even with the 4 GB one -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGcu_YD-6DI&t=211s

what could I do, what could be the problem?

Last edited:
May 10, 2019
Whats ur motherboard? What are your cpu temps as you play? What are your gpu temps as you play? Whats is your power plan setting? What did you personally change in the bios? 4gb vs 8gb only tells the memory bandwidth is higher. It is also not the amount of cores or core power you have a good chip. It must be setting related as far as i can tell from your text.

Reactions: mistyrain

mistyrain

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Whats ur motherboard? What are your cpu temps as you play? What are your gpu temps as you play? Whats is your power plan setting? What did you personally change in the bios? 4gb vs 8gb only tells the memory bandwidth is higher. It is also not the amount of cores or core power you have a good chip. It must be setting related as far as i can tell from your text.
Thank you for your fast reply.

Motherboard - Asus Prime X470 - PRO
CPU temps - 55 - 58 - (Cooler master hyper 212 LED) - average load 50% (min 20 max 58. monitoring done with afterburner)
GPU temp - 67
Power plan - Same results on balanced and high performance
No changes in Bios, all on default (any advise what to change?)

May 10, 2019
Is that cpu temp on idle? What does cpuz say about ur voltages. Are you able to run a cinebench and gimme a screenshot oF all your monitoring on HWMONITOR while you do that bench? Did you recently update drivers? Ahci see you did in the post... I just explained some steps to another fellow forum member with the same card and weird fps problems between specific drivers. Will copy paste it later need run atm.

mistyrain

Prominent
May 10, 2019
The reply was fast but i will have to check later, getting busy atm. you too thanks for the reply that was as lighting. Ill try get back on it in a couple hours.

Thank you. No rush of course. I hope you are having a great day.

I am now trying some afterburner overclocking and checking on the difference with unigine heaven. I hope this to put me closer to what people are getting. One additional thing - it seems my gigabyte version is clocked lower that an MSI or Notrio+ one. however, those seem to be like in a different tier as performance and 100mhz should not be that big of a difference.... or at least I think so.

May 10, 2019
Sound like a driver problem. Did you uninstall and delete amd graphic drivers? If it comes back which shouldnt as the basic windows driver should load if u uninstalled amds graphics correctly. Anyway if it does go into your device manager find your graphics driver in the list right click it and press delete driver or uninstall driver. Make sure to check that DELETE DRIVERS FROM PC box or else it will reuse them when you restart. After you did delete them you need to restart your pc first. After that install the drivers that work. Report faulty drivers to your oem supplier or even amd itself depending which ones fail on you. Restart pc. Dont forget to re-apply settings to your card as its a total new driver now. See if it stays on thd older working driver by testing again. Oh and make sure no automatic updates is on or anything for your gfx driver. Goodluck

mistyrain

Prominent
May 10, 2019

Goildzy, I am trying this now. I went back to a old driver and now the game does not start at all. I many complaints about that and threads but nothing helps so far. Last time I got the problem the driver update fixed the problem but not this time. so now I am doing clean install of the drivers and reinstalling the game... MS to blame here.

Is your RAM actually running at DDR4-3000 speed? If you left the motherboard options to their defaults, its very possible that the RAM may be running at something much lower, like DDR4-2133. You should be able to select the RAM's XMP profile in the BIOS to ensure that it's set at 3000.

May 10, 2019
Goildzy, I am trying this now. I went back to a old driver and now the game does not start at all. I many complaints about that and threads but nothing helps so far. Last time I got the problem the driver update fixed the problem but not this time. so now I am doing clean install of the drivers and reinstalling the game... MS to blame here.
An old driver not working is not the right driver. If you are unsure about what driver you need you can press Windowsbutton+R it will open run command, type dxdiag and hit enter. On the display tab is your cards information, give that to me please. l will try and help you find a right driver. In my experience oem drivers should work directly for the right card. If they lack a year behind i mostly skip them but if they are 2-3 months for example before nvidias or amds latest drives, i have a better experience using the oem driver..... all though not always..... !

May 10, 2019
Is your RAM actually running at DDR4-3000 speed? If you left the motherboard options to their defaults, its very possible that the RAM may be running at something much lower, like DDR4-2133. You should be able to select the RAM's XMP profile in the BIOS to ensure that it's set at 3000.
Could use cpuz to check that but its highly unlikely that takes his gpu performance down so much. Also he will have significant faster cycles at 2133 even if it is spinning at 2133 vs 3000 it might cost fps but not gpu quality.

mistyrain

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Hello @cryoburner @Goildzy

Thanks guys for helping and sorry for the late reply.

Here is what happened and answers to your suggestions:

Ram is indeed working at 3000, checked with CPUz and it is running the XMP profile.

I tried putting an old AMD driver, it did not allow it and always wanted a newer. Not sure why. Then s*hit happened. An update of WIN deleted the game, so I downloaded it again
(70GB). Then again udpated the drivers and the game stopped working. Check on fixes and reset the game. Then the MS stode detected that I do not have the game so downloaded 2nd time. After that I gon 20 fps..... So deleted both game and drivers and started over - 3rd download of the game ( :D ) and the latest drivers. All is working but again in free roam I might get to 73 fps but in the city or some other areas and in races with many cars i go to 45-50. May be I just have a crappy card...

@cryoburner - here are te results from userbenchmark - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16880582 (please let me know if the link does the job)

@Goildzy Here is the data for the driver:
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Radeon RX 580 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67DF)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67DF&SUBSYS_22FC1458&REV_E7
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 16330 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8172 MB
Shared Memory: 8157 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (75Hz)
HDR Support: Not Supported
Display Topology: Internal
Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
Color Primaries: Red(0.645031,0.335461), Green(0.305187,0.630383), Blue(0.148937,0.050305), White Point(0.313977,0.329602)
Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: LG IPS FULLHD
Monitor Id: GSM5AB8
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (74.973Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
Advanced Color: Not Supported
Driver Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0340998.inf_amd64_4e7ad8ec950b7e37\B340755\aticfx64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0340998.inf_amd64_4e7ad8ec950b7e37\B340755\aticfx64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0340998.inf_amd64_4e7ad8ec950b7e37\B340755\aticfx64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0340998.inf_amd64_4e7ad8ec950b7e37\B340755\amdxc64.dll
Driver File Version: 25.20.15031.1000 (English)
Driver Version: 25.20.15031.1000
DDI Version: 12
Feature Levels: 12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
Driver Model: WDDM 2.4
Graphics Preemption: Primitive
Compute Preemption: DMA
Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Supported
Power P-states: Not Supported
Virtualization: Paravirtualization
Block List: No Blocks
Catalog Attributes: Universal:False Declarative:False
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/26/2019 3:00:00 AM, 1958696 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-249F-11CF-0074-4B385CC2D435}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x67DF
SubSys ID: 0x22FC1458
Revision ID: 0x00E7
Driver Strong Name: oem3.inf:cb0ae414b09f78cf:ati2mtag_Polaris10DS:25.20.15031.1000:pci\ven_1002&dev_67df&subsys_22fc1458&rev_e7
Rank Of Driver: 00D10000
Video Accel: Unknown
DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_VLD DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeHEVC_VLD_Main DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Stereo_Progressive_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Stereo_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeVC1_VLD DXVA2_ModeMPEG4pt2_VLD_AdvSimple_NoGMC DXVA2_ModeHEVC_VLD_Main10
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported
DXVA-HD: Not Supported
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
MPO MaxPlanes: 1
MPO Caps: Not Supported
MPO Stretch: Not Supported
MPO Media Hints: Not Supported
MPO Formats: Not Supported
PanelFitter Caps: Not Supported
PanelFitter Stretch: Not Supported

Everything seems to be performing quite well in the UserBenchmark results. Have you tried testing performance in other games?

The benchmark of the game even gives me 45. This guys with R3 2200 does much better and he is even with the 4 GB one -
Watching that video, I notice his performance is in the 40s much of the time as well. What performance do you get if you configure settings to the exact same as what he used in that video?

mistyrain

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Everything seems to be performing quite well in the UserBenchmark results. Have you tried testing performance in other games?

Watching that video, I notice his performance is in the 40s much of the time as well. What performance do you get if you configure settings to the exact same as what he used in that video?

In some cases 4 - 5 bellow him

mistyrain

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Open up the Radeon settings, go to the Gaming tab and see if you have a profile for Horizon 4. Check the profile and make sure that Radeon Chill is not active.

Yes, checked on that and it is deactivated. However, after the latest reinstall of the game I do not have it in Gaming section so I do not have separate profile for the Horizon 4. Although, when I play I use Alt+R to open the setting and set freesync and so on and Chill is stopped.

@cryoburner @Goildzy @knickle Thanks guys for trying to help but it seems it is the performance I get. I just do not want to wast anyone's time anymore. Now I play on High and not Ultra as it is advised with no MSAA only TSA and I am around 55 - 75 which is great. I got very good performance with Metro Exodus but with this one, even advertised as super optimized, I will not get that. but hey, it could have been worse :)

May 10, 2019
Yes, checked on that and it is deactivated. However, after the latest reinstall of the game I do not have it in Gaming section so I do not have separate profile for the Horizon 4. Although, when I play I use Alt+R to open the setting and set freesync and so on and Chill is stopped.

@cryoburner @Goildzy @knickle Thanks guys for trying to help but it seems it is the performance I get. I just do not want to wast anyone's time anymore. Now I play on High and not Ultra as it is advised with no MSAA only TSA and I am around 55 - 75 which is great. I got very good performance with Metro Exodus but with this one, even advertised as super optimized, I will not get that. but hey, it could have been worse :)

Hi a new driver released yesterday for your rx 580

Dl here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580

Cheers

mistyrain

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Hello All

I mamaged to fix it. I am now getting 75 fps and never go uner it while playing. Not sure which helped but I did :

1. Updated the motherboard bios since it was old
  2. Overclocked the card.
Now it is like another PC, or more like another video card. Not sure if the overclock is so helpful or the bios was criplling my system.

@Goildzy @cryoburner thanks guys :)

Last edited: