Question RX 580 8gb crashes constantly when running games

Apr 16, 2020
Hello,

I recently bought a new AMD RX 580 8gb and installed it in my computer. However, since the beginning, the gpu itself has crashed continuously after playing for a while. Underclocking the card has lead to minimal success by increasing the duration which I can play. However, It has not stopped the crashing.

My computer specs are as follows:
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.85 GHz
16 GB Patriot Viper Elite Series DDR4 8GB
RX 580 8gb Asus ROG Strix OC edition
Crosshair CX650M PSU
Asus Prime B450M-A/CSM AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 HDMI DVI VGA M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 mATX Motherboard

I have checked the event view and the error that is given is "Display driver AMDKMDAP stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

Here are the solutions that I have tried:

1. Reseating RAM and GPU
  2. I have plugged in an RX 570 4GB and system has worked fine
  3. Preforming multiple clean installs of drivers
  4. Rolling back driver software

Thank you for any help that you can give

JDH

Apr 16, 2020
*update: By decreasing the max state from 1175 to 1120 seems to render the system stable. However, this still begs the question why I can't run everything at max state? I have also bumped up states 2-7 to 1120

I have also increased power by 20. And decreased VRAM clock to 2160 from 2175.

Some further information, it does not appear to be over heating as even while under intensive gaming the GPU stays sub 45 degrees.

I have already posted this on the AMD forums and all I've gotten are idiots who can't seem to read the entire post.

Last edited:

j0ndafr3ak

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I also bought a rx 580 last week. I get frequent crashes during my gaming sessions and BSODs especially while video editing and the AMD drivers are always involved.
I may have solved the problem by running MSI Afterburner alongside with the auto fan option enabled, but I haven't run it long enough to be sure about it. I'll keep testing and if it doesn't work, I'll just return the card...