[SOLVED] RX 580 8GB not getting bottlenecked by a FX-6100?

May 9, 2020
So i've had this system for some years now and just now ordered a new CPU, but just for curiosity I downloaded MSI afterburner to see the %s of CPU and GPU usage in games.

I always thought that obviously this CPU would severely bottleneck this GPU, that it would always stay CPU at 100% and GPU at like 50%ish, but to my surprise I was playing Dead by Daylight just now, and both of them were at like 60% and my game was super laggy, with the FPS staying between 30-50 on low settings.

Is this my GPU that is dying or is it because of this almost 1 decade old CPU + MOBO + RAM combo?

Solution
Because Intel right now here in Brazil is offering a much better price, the Ryzen 5 1600 was R$700 and the i3-9100F R$480.

I know that the 1600 is better for multitasking, streaming, etc. But in the quad-core range the 9100F beat the 1600, even though it's cheaper, and that's what I'm aiming for right now.
Ok big price difference. The trouble is quad core is barely enough for modern games. If you can wait hopefully the increased thread count of 10th generation will be at a reasonable price.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So i've had this system for some years now and just now ordered a new CPU, but just for curiosity I downloaded MSI afterburner to see the %s of CPU and GPU usage in games.

I always thought that obviously this CPU would severely bottleneck this GPU, that it would always stay CPU at 100% and GPU at like 50%ish, but to my surprise I was playing Dead by Daylight just now, and both of them were at like 60% and my game was super laggy, with the FPS staying between 30-50 on low settings.

Is this my GPU that is dying or is it because of this almost 1 decade old CPU + MOBO + RAM combo?

Bottlenecking is rarely that neat and tidy.

Reactions: Kevin Shibuya
May 9, 2020
Why Intel. If your budget constrained AMD is a far better offering in my view. Even if not budget constrained the latest Ryzen CPU’s are equal if not better.
Because Intel right now here in Brazil is offering a much better price, the Ryzen 5 1600 was R$700 and the i3-9100F R$480.

I know that the 1600 is better for multitasking, streaming, etc. But in the quad-core range the 9100F beat the 1600, even though it's cheaper, and that's what I'm aiming for right now.

Ok big price difference. The trouble is quad core is barely enough for modern games. If you can wait hopefully the increased thread count of 10th generation will be at a reasonable price.

Reactions: Kevin Shibuya
Solution