Question RX 580 8GB under $200 ... Is it time to upgrade?

xDxLxSx

Prominent
Mar 4, 2019
Found this gem ... XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1405 MHz OC+, 8GB 256-bit GDDR ... For $190. Saw an article on digital trends that supposedly Best Buy should have it (or a similar card) for $170.

Running an OLD 5770. Been waiting on the perfect moment to replace it with the new NVidias putting pressure on the gfx market. I'm not married to one brand over the other so much as I'm cheap/poor as evidenced by holding on to this 5770 for x number of years. No I won't be doing 4k gaming. No my system isn't the latest. I leap frog parts every few years. There is even a 4gb 570 for $120 but something tells me that 4gb is limiting my future usage and I'll just be back in the market in 2 years or so.

Latest game I've played is MWO, SotA and I can't even get Star citizen to do More than stutter.

I'd love to have at least semi future playability I don't need 100 fps just steady gaming. I was eyeballing the 1600s but the price just hadn't made me jump yet.

Is now the time to jump? Is this the card?

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
Any of those GPU's will be a big improvement over your 5770 but if your spending near $200 I'd get the GTX 1660. For me it would go like this....under $140=RX 570, under $180=RX 580, around $200=1660, $280=1660 ti. If your gaming at 1080P then I'd get the RX 580 or better unless budget is a factor and as for the 4gb vs 8gb vram the 8gb would last longer but as someone who uses a RX 580 4gb @2560x1080P I don't see much more then 3-3.5gbs in most newer games on High settings. While I'd probably opt for the 8gb version if you do find a 4gb version for really cheap it may be something to consider.

If your system is the one in your sig I'd spend a bit more and get the ZOTAC 1660, dual fans and backplate for a good price.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING AMP Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $219.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-03 09:19 EDT-0400

If your monitor supports Freesync then you can still use the 1660 with it.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

Last edited:
@xDxLxSx,

That's going to be a decent upgrade coming from the the 7550. Also, should you wish to upgrade your GPU, then kindly replace this PSU ASAP: ""Thermaltake TR2-600". This is a very low-end poor quality PSU. Don't use this to power any of the latest GEN GPUs. All the TR2 models fall under the lowest TIER list of power supplies. Not recommended for gaming PCs. AVOID using this power supply.

PS: Kindly reduce the FONT size of your text. It's too big, in my opinion.

Last edited:
But don't forget, if you do get the 590 you get $130 in 2 games, World War Z and Division 2.
It's still a nice card though, and if you play them 2 games, then thats good.
if you don't, maybe you can sell the keys to someone - as I know someone who would pay you for WWZ :)

xDxLxSx

Prominent
Mar 4, 2019
Font fixed. No clue why it defaulted to that size. Typed the original post on my phone so I fear I didnt realize how atrocious it was. And yes I too agree it was rather large

Wild Card ... TY for the insight. And reminding me of partpicker. Found a Powercolor RX 580 for $170.
At under $180 and with possible free games I might can stomach upgrading again in less than 5 years when money isnt as tight. Who knows may even catch a 1660 in my range and be able to offload the 580 on ebay at some point.

Metal Messiah ... TY for the info on the PSU. When it was acquired probably 5-6 years ago it was what was readily available and to my knowledge (as I tend to research research research) wasn't viewed as quite so sub par back then. I will definitely keep my eyes open for a suitable replacement in the near future.

Electr0 ... If I read the terms right the 2 free games (keys) have to be registered with a suitable AMD card? They do not strike me as my usual fair so I may reach out to you in the near future for input on finding someone to trade with.