[SOLVED] RX 580 and i7-3770 Help.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gagecarmongaming

Reputable
Nov 7, 2018
Alright so an issue I'm having is that I am getting seemingly BIG stutters in games and performance seems to be below par of videos I've found online of similar builds. I am not the best PC builder but I've learned a few things over the years, though not enough to figure out what's going on with this PC! Here are my specs for starters.

GPU - MSI RX 580 8GB OC Model.
CPU - i7-3770 Intel Processor
RAM - DDR3 Patriot Viper 2 x 8gb 1600mhz in Dual Channel Mode
Storage - 250GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD (OS installed on here. Windows 10 Home) and a 1TB Seagate BarraCuda 6gb/s 64mb Cache
Motherboard - MSI H61MU-E35(B3)(MS-7680)
PSU - EVGA 750watt Power Supply

AMD states that I'm getting on average around 105 fps in Fortnite and 196.3 in TF2 for example, but the frames dip REALLY hard. I thought that this may be a frametime issue with the spikes I see on the graph when using MSI Afterburner's OSD. My current monitor is a little 60hz Proscan TV which is getting replaced by a 144hz Asus monitor, not sure if a monitor can cause these issues but stating what I have is better than nothing!

(I'm planning on trying to move onto a AMD CPU build whenever I can get the cash collected for the parts, but I really want to get this fixed forcurrent use since I may be giving this one to my younger brother later down the road.)

Last edited:
Solution
What's odd is CPUz shows it running correctly, but UBM shows it way slow. This is why I dislike UBM as much as I do. Ram is running fine, but I think it's comparing it to all ram, not just ram like it. Same as the SSD. It's not taking the SATA II port into consideration.

If OCing seems to be fixing the issue, than that's the problem. You have an older 4C/8T CPU that is just struggling with games. Add as much speed as you can and use until it dies. Then upgrade.

gagecarmongaming

Reputable
Nov 7, 2018
Intel sort of took a break for awhile and didn't do much to improve their CPUs. Hardocp did an article once where they took the base i7 from the 3xxx series to the 7700 and clocked them all at 4.2 or 4.0GHz. They found only ~20% gaming difference between the 3770 and 7700. This means if you OC your CPU to as fast as the 7700, you basically have the 7700. You have a good CPU, it's just clocked to slow. That might be the source of your issue, an old CPU that doesn't work fast enough. I was wondering if there was more too it, but perhaps the cigar is a cigar.

I have my CPU clocked as fast as it can, from BIOS at least. Hopefully things work out. For Fortnite though, I think it's where a huge, large update cam out so it's not optimized and servers are filled/awful. Other than that, I'll try to keep an eye on things and assume my problem is solved. Thank you all for your help! I learned a lot from all this and will try to use my current understandings to fix future issues. c: