[SOLVED] Rx 580 aorus low core speed.

Vidma.

Prominent
Sep 10, 2019
Hello everyone,
So recently I did upgraded my sons pc used to be i5 4430 4th gen with gtx750ti.
Now it has i7 4790 and rx580 aorus. After putting everything together I did some stress tests. Cpu was checked by Intel diagnostic tool and seems fine max temperature 71C,for gpu I used furmark and I did fine too max temps were around 72C.Only thing was strange during furmark test rx580 core clock would sit at around 1050 to 1090mhz is that normal.?

Full system specs are

I7 4790cpu 2x4gb corsair wengeance 1600mhz ddr3 ram deep cool cpu tower cooler rx580 aorus 8gb gpu gygabyte h81 d2v motherboard(latest bios) 2x 240gb ssds corsair carbide spec 04 with 2 120mm fans at front and 1 at rear 550w psu windows 10

Thank you for advise

Solution
Yes, an RX580 is MUCH faster (about 3x) than a GTX750Ti. Also, your i7 will allow the GPU to stretch its legs a bit more than the old i5 since it's got 25% higher clockspeeds and more threads for games that can utilize them.

There's no reason a GPU shouldn't be able to hit and maintain full clockspeeds in FurMark. It's not that demanding. (Doom is actually more severe)

If you want the quick-and-dirty solution to your problem: Go into AMD Settings -> Global WattMan tab -> find the "Power Limit" slider and slide it to +25-50% and hit apply. That will allow the GPU to get up to it's advertised speeds.

If you want the more graceful solution, follow this guide on how to manually set voltages for each frequency state. I...
Don't use FURMARK to check the performance of the PC. Try playing some graphic demanding GAMES as well. How do games perform ? Does the core/mem clock boost while gaming ? What's the Make/brand and Model of your 550 Watts PSU ?

For your GPU, these are the clock speed modes, as listed by Gigabyte. Assuming this is your exact GPU Model. The card will boost automatically, depending on the usage and load on the GPU. Sometimes it might even boost higher than the advertised specs, because of the GPU BOOST feature from Nvidia.

https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Graphics-Card/GV-RX580AORUS-8GD-rev-10-11/sp#sp

OC mode: up to 1380MHz
Gaming mode: up to 1365MHz
(Reference card : 1340 MHz)

Reactions: Vidma.

Vidma.

Prominent
Sep 10, 2019
Big thanks for reply psu is cooler master gx 550w bronze rated which my son used for about 3 years without single issue. I will rage 2 once installed and will post results, also does i7 4790 and rx 580 will be noticeably better than old i5 4430 gtx 750ti?

Thanks a lot.

Yes, an RX580 is MUCH faster (about 3x) than a GTX750Ti. Also, your i7 will allow the GPU to stretch its legs a bit more than the old i5 since it's got 25% higher clockspeeds and more threads for games that can utilize them.

There's no reason a GPU shouldn't be able to hit and maintain full clockspeeds in FurMark. It's not that demanding. (Doom is actually more severe)

If you want the quick-and-dirty solution to your problem: Go into AMD Settings -> Global WattMan tab -> find the "Power Limit" slider and slide it to +25-50% and hit apply. That will allow the GPU to get up to it's advertised speeds.

If you want the more graceful solution, follow this guide on how to manually set voltages for each frequency state. I can provide voltages for you if you give me the 7 frequencies for your card. Doing this will significantly reduce power/heat/noise compared to the power limit solution without adversely affecting frequencies, but requires some stability testing since you're now trying to find out how much/little voltage the card ACTUALLY needs to remain stable at a given frequency instead of the power limit / auto method that just cranks in more voltage than it could ever need (brute force approach)

You can monitor your GPU stats using GPUz (you might already be using to determine that your frequency was low) to see what voltage the GPU is getting under your current "auto" settings, as well as temp and fan speed. That will give you a baseline to measure from when/if you do the manual approach.
Reference points:
I've tested 1400MHz stable at 1150mV
I typically run my personal MSI RX480 Gaming X @ 1305MHz/1020mV and it hits 73C @ 1200rpm fans under full prolonged load. Can't even tell it's there.

Last edited:
Solution

Vidma.

Prominent
Sep 10, 2019
So after spending some time playing 3 different games Rage 2,Ashes of Singularity and Doom gpu indeed boosts up to around 1360mhz and memory to 2000mhz. And wow I can say much more pleased with graphics with this new card.

Thank you all for your help.