[SOLVED] RX 580 Armor experiences?

soRa_21

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
So i bought a used rx 580 4gb armor version for 100$ with 1y warranty left. Its shipping currnetly.. Im upgrading from r9 280x vapor x tri oc so i was wondering is this a good deal and how does armor version perform, perfomance wise and how are the temps. I was on a budget so this seemed like the best deal since i couldnt find a better card for the money. I've read that armor version aren't really good so im asking here.

Solution
Performance wise all models of RX 580 will be about the same.

Temperature wise, it's a budget model so it'll generally be hotter/noisier than premium models. I'd look into undervolting the GPU, it can give you a noticeable improvement in temps/noise with no performance impact. That, and make sure you have decent case airflow, then you should be fine.

Should be able to find some undervolt guides with google without too much difficulty:
RX 480 OR 580 undervolt guide

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Performance wise all models of RX 580 will be about the same.

Temperature wise, it's a budget model so it'll generally be hotter/noisier than premium models. I'd look into undervolting the GPU, it can give you a noticeable improvement in temps/noise with no performance impact. That, and make sure you have decent case airflow, then you should be fine.

Should be able to find some undervolt guides with google without too much difficulty:
RX 480 OR 580 undervolt guide

Last edited:
Reactions: soRa_21
Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you have any experience in GPU overclocking then the process for undervolting is similar except you're incrementally lowering voltage rather than increasing frequency. Have a graphics benchmark/stress test running and watch for any signs of instability (graphical artifacts, driver crashes, etc.).

I would aim for for something in the neighborhood of 1050mV at stock clock speeds, but every chip is different.