Goten13

Honorable
Jan 12, 2016
So I currently have an MSI MAG 241C monitor. I'm getting quite frustrated with the ghosting it suffers from. I want to invest in a better monitor but feel silly buying a new monitor an not going 1440p. I want to keep my 60FPS game-play at the very least, but I'm worried My STRIX RX 580 wont keep up. So I guess the question is should I invest in a better monitor first, or a GPU?

My PC:
Asus STIX B360H MOBO
I5 8400 CPU
8GB HyperX 2666 DDR4 RAM
ASUS STRIX RX 580 8GB
SAMSUNG EVO SSD 1TB
Seasonic Focus 650W Gold

I have an RX480 8GB + i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz + 1440p 48-144Hz FreeSync monitor (Samsung C27HG70). What games are you playing?

It's difficult for me to quantify how much my CPU is limiting my frame rates, but I will say that an RX580 is probably not what most people would consider a long term solution for 1440p gaming in the most modern demanding games. That being said, I'm able to stay above 70fps on most middling games and over 100fps on lightweight games (Doom included) all on High to Med-High settings. The problem with reviews is that the majority of them test games with video settings on Ultra. While it does establish a "worst case scenario", it's not practical since Ultra settings are known to offer nearly unnoticeable improvements in visual quality while taking a hard hit to performance [compared to "High"].

Monitors generally last through multiple GPUs. If there's a model out there you're itching for, go ahead and get it. Just pay attention to the lower limit refresh rate and get something with LFC. I've been running my C27HG70 for a little over a year and although I'll admit my RX480 isn't taking full advantage of the game settings or frame rates I could get with a more expensive GPU, I'm still able to enjoy all the games I play @ 1440p.

[Add] You could also try AMD Virtual Super Resolution on your current monitor to simulate a 1440p load. Here's some instructions

Last edited:

Goten13

Honorable
Jan 12, 2016
I have an RX480 8GB + i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz + 1440p 48-144Hz FreeSync monitor (Samsung C27HG70). What games are you playing?

It's difficult for me to quantify how much my CPU is limiting my frame rates, but I will say that an RX580 is probably not what most people would consider a long term solution for 1440p gaming in the most modern demanding games. That being said, I'm able to stay above 70fps on most middling games and over 100fps on lightweight games (Doom included) all on High to Med-High settings. The problem with reviews is that the majority of them test games with video settings on Ultra. While it does establish a "worst case scenario", it's not practical since Ultra settings are known to offer nearly unnoticeable improvements in visual quality while taking a hard hit to performance [compared to "High"].

Monitors generally last through multiple GPUs. If there's a model out there you're itching for, go ahead and get it. Just pay attention to the lower limit refresh rate and get something with LFC. I've been running my C27HG70 for a little over a year and although I'll admit my RX480 isn't taking full advantage of the game settings or frame rates I could get with a more expensive GPU, I'm still able to enjoy all the games I play @ 1440p.

[Add] You could also try AMD Virtual Super Resolution on your current monitor to simulate a 1440p load. Here's some instructions

Right now I play RE 2, Monster hunter world, League of Legends and Apex Legends. TBH, I didn't event realize it until I started playing Apex. Now I see it everywhere, Even when playing my switch (which is attached to my monitor via HDMI. I can tell Even when scrolling through web pages.