RX 580 Crossfire vs GTX 1080

ethandrelles

Commendable
Jan 20, 2018
Hey guys, so I'm looking to do some graphical upgrades. I want something that's going to last me a while and look cool. This is my current setup https://pcpartpicker.com/user/PixelCrewGamerz/saved/hn7yf7 I'm aware that my processor will likely bottleneck the cards but I will be upgrading to gen2 ryzen once it is released for the higher clocks. In the possible future, I would be doing a custom loop (I'm not sure on the idea though). I would like to know if a) crossfire 580 is possible with my power supply and b) if I should do crossfire or 1080. My monitor is already FreeSync compatible so using AMD is a plus. I would possibly use a higher tier AMD card but I understand that the downsides of using one over the gtx 1080 outweigh the benefits of FreeSync. I personally like the look of having two cards in a system but the main benefit that I am thinking of is how you get more or equal performance for less price. What do you guys think about that? I've watch benchmarking videos and they show that the rx 580 combo compete very nicely against the gtx 1080

Solution
As everyone else has stated multi-gpu setups are being supported less and less these days by developers. Gone are the days when games such as tomb raider would give you 100% performance scaling. Having to deal with just getting it to work, the increased temps and power draw is not worth it. Go for a single powerful gpu and call it a day.
I've upgraded from a r9 fury to a 1080 and the performance increase is significant, its a lot more power efficient and dead silent.

Given that only a handfull of games do multi gpu anymore and of that handfull only a couple actually work and give over 30% performance increase it's NOT WORTH at all. Just get a 1080. Multi gpu nowadays is just throwing away money.

As everyone else has stated multi-gpu setups are being supported less and less these days by developers. Gone are the days when games such as tomb raider would give you 100% performance scaling. Having to deal with just getting it to work, the increased temps and power draw is not worth it. Go for a single powerful gpu and call it a day.
I've upgraded from a r9 fury to a 1080 and the performance increase is significant, its a lot more power efficient and dead silent.

Solution