Question RX 580 GPU fan is not spinning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamuth

Reputable
Oct 28, 2016
chamuth.github.io
One day when I was playing RDR2 my AMD RX 580 4GB started spinning at 100% speed and started making this huge noise. Performance was pretty much the same. I shut down the game and tried the AMD settings to reset the fan speed it didn't worj, MSI after burner also didn't work. And then I started playing RDR2 ignoring the noise fir about 15 minutes and it stopped and returned to its normal RPM.

And again, yesterday it suddenly started spinning at 100% fan speed (around 4500 rpm) while I was working on a blender project (a small one, gpu usage would've been like 10%). It was extremely loud and didn't stop even after I restarted. It stayed at around 25degree. celsius on idle. Then I started playing Battlefield 1 to see if the change in gpu usage could actually fix it. It didn't change. In AMD settings VRAM usage was showing 220% around 9GB for this 4GB card I thought that was the reason for this fan speed. In task manager it showed 0.1GB out of 4GB

I tried MSI afterburner, AMDs default fan tuning settings and then I accidentally changed the VRAM timing method to second one and changed it back the screen turned green. And then I just blindly shut down the pc from keyboard shortcuts.

When booting up again the fans aren't working. Then again I tried MSI afterburner, AMD software and I tried DDU but it didn't fix. It would just stay around 60 degree Celsius on Idle.

Is there a possible cause to this? Any method to revert the GPU back to default. Btw MSI afterburner never worked for this gpu.

Hardware:
Intel Core i5 3470 3.2GHz
DDR3 1600MHz 8GB RAM
AMD RX 580 4GB
Foxconn H61 Mobo
Corsair something 700W PSU

Chamuth

Reputable
Oct 28, 2016
chamuth.github.io
The fans in most cards don't spin when the GPU temp is below 55-60C. You'll need to load up something like a game or FurMark or similar stress testing software to get the core temp high enough.
Thanks for replying. I know some models have zero rpm modes but this doesn't. And it shuts down in Battlefield 1 main menu with 90 degree Celsius overheat. So, I figured gpu isn't sending power to the fan or something. Can I use a custom fan on it maybe replace the thing?

poorbugger

Distinguished
I think that's because they're conflicting. Radeon and msi afterburner. Uninstalled all drivers using ddu. Install driver version 20.4.2. After installing, do nothing with the radeon software. Only tweak the fan curve using msi afterburner. I have a rx 580 and msi afterburner worked without issues. Only pick one, either adrenalin software or msi. Dont use both at the same time. My advice would install the amd drivers then leave it there. Tweak everything on msi afterburner except for the freesync settings and etc

Reactions: Chamuth
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS