Question RX 580 Not Enough Power

Nov 2, 2020
I'm confused as to why my rx 580 is not working. I connect the 8pin connector and the led turns from red to white. Then I power on the system and the led turns from white to red. Nothing on the monitor. I assume this means it has insufficient power. The manual that came with it is only a quick start guide and supplies no helpful information. I have tried both slots.

Do I ship back the card ? Upgrade my power supply?

Msi 7390 a pro
i9 9000k (I got it super cheap is why)
ASUS AMD Radeon RX580 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (DUAL-RX580-O8G)
550w 80+ Rosewill Capstone Gold
2 x 8gb 3200 Corsair Vengeance
1 x 16gb 3200 Hyperx

sonofpern

Commendable
Jun 5, 2018
Could be insufficient power, improperly seated in the PCIe slot, dead cable/monitor, or something else preventing it from booting. Do you have another graphics card to test? Also, what the other person above said, try pulling out the odd RAM stick, sometimes it causes issues, at least until you update the driver for the graphics card, it could help. There should be articles on Tom's that help with proper testing for GPUs, PSUs, other components

Nov 2, 2020
Took out the 1x16gb and still not recognized. Tried both pcie slots. I know the monitor works Via plugging it into the motherboard. I don't have another working graphics card unfortunately.

I would love some direction as to what to trouble shoot. I can't find anything on what the red light means either.

Nov 2, 2020
Okay just kidding. I found some old graphics cards. Here are the results of each.
ASUS RX580 (requires 8pin) -Computer turns on but does not recognize card- instead uses onboard graphics. msi detects nothing in the pcie slot. card light is red.
GeForce 9800GTX (requires 6pin) - Computer cannot turn on. No fans spin on any component.
GEFORCE GTX 1050 (requires no power) Computer boots and automatically detects card.

tried all in both pcie slots to same results. Does this suggest perhaps the cord connecting to the power supply is faulty? Is the power supply not strong enough?