Question RX 580 Overclocking Guide/Tips

Jan 5, 2020
So I’m relatively new to PC Gaming, let alone overclocking. But I heard it was a good idea as your getting more value out of your components and that’s what I did.

So I started with the GPU, it’s the Power color Red Dragon, and I’m using AND performance tuning in the Radeon software. I heard that GPU overclocking really doesn’t damage the physical state of the card that much so I was a little more confident. I just set the card to 1460Mhz with 1.2v and a memory clock of 2200 mhz. (Power +50%)

So after I did all of that, I installed Unigine heaven to benchmark it. It went smooth for most of it. I said most as I had a few stutter there and there. Always in the same area. Why is this? (Tried default afterward and still stuttering). I heard that running the benchmark for 30min was a good estimate if the card was stable or not (no crashes) and exactly what I did. I let it ran for 30min but I felt like to keep it going for a little longer...

And bam ! Everything went black, then white, then everything was back to normal. Looks like Radeon Software resetted. Like I was shocked because I thought it was smooth and I had gotten lucky as it ran ok for 30-ish mins.

(Temps were around 78-81°C)

So my questions are :
1. Why did it stutter (only a little, but consistent in the same area of test location)

2. Did I damage my GPU?

Any more answers or tips are also appreciated.

System specs:
Ryzen 7 2700 @ 3.6ghz
16gb Adata XPG RAM @ 3200 CL19
Prime B450m-a
Powercolor Red Dragon RX 580

1, The stutters can occur due the GPU unable to render that proper or bad overclock.

2. No, I've overclocked my previous RX 480 till max as same as the 1050Ti and did not damage them in any way. Only pushing too much voltage can damage them.

The main question , what is your PSU? Cause RX 400/500 are quite power hungry.
My RX480 for instance draw 220W~ stock, but with undervolt+overclock it draw 180W~