RX 580 PC cutting out

Dc5daft

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Hi All,

Wondering if someone could give me some advice please.

My PC is cutting out (shutting down) during gaming. I've done a lot of searching and tried some different things. I don't think it's temperatures, CPU was at max 53 and GPU max 60ish when it cut out. I'm leaning towards my PSU but I think it should be able to handle my setup and reluctant to fork out for a new one since I'm not 100% it is the issue. Tried the usual updating drivers and BIOS too and ensuring the PSU is plugged directly into the wall and not an extension.

Specs:

PSU - EVGA 100-w1-0600-k2 600w
CPU- AMD Ryzen 5 1400
GPU - Power Colour Red Devil RX 580 8GB
12GB DDR4 RAM
3 HDDs and 1 SSD
MB- Asus Prime B350 Plus

Worth noting I haven't overclocked anything.

Thanks
Stewart

Solution
Rx 580 doesnt draw 500W..... Max load should be with peak 200W (200/12V=17A). My orange VS 550 handled gtx 470 without issue at 11.55V.

Unless the voltage of 12V, 5V,3V rail goes out of spec 5%+-.
Download hwinfo64 and run it into sensor mode, and see for 12V 5V 3.3V sensors and take screenshot without load, then download furmark and run it for less than 30s and take another screenshot and upload to image hosting site and post links here.

My pure guess is that thermal paste got dried and thermal pads arent doing the job.
My rx 480 got burn marks on heatsink, meaning thermal paste was old even tho 2 years, and vrm temps were hitting 90*C before and gpu also.
After repasting and new thernal paste 80*C both gpu and vrm at 50-60% fan...

Dc5daft

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Thanks for the quickly reply.

The PSU is only about a year old so I think it should still be under warranty but wanted to see if folk though it was just a poor quality PSU rather than get a replacement to get the same issues.

I have an old AMD HD7770 but I didn't think it would be a great test since the 580 would be using a lot more power, will see if I can borrow one from a friend to rule that out.

Thanks, the RAM is made up of a 8GB stick and a 4GB stick, i'll run hwinfo when I'm home. Forgot to mention as well that I done a CPU stress test and memtest both with no issues.

Rx 580 doesnt draw 500W..... Max load should be with peak 200W (200/12V=17A). My orange VS 550 handled gtx 470 without issue at 11.55V.

Unless the voltage of 12V, 5V,3V rail goes out of spec 5%+-.
Download hwinfo64 and run it into sensor mode, and see for 12V 5V 3.3V sensors and take screenshot without load, then download furmark and run it for less than 30s and take another screenshot and upload to image hosting site and post links here.

My pure guess is that thermal paste got dried and thermal pads arent doing the job.
My rx 480 got burn marks on heatsink, meaning thermal paste was old even tho 2 years, and vrm temps were hitting 90*C before and gpu also.
After repasting and new thernal paste 80*C both gpu and vrm at 50-60% fan speed, which is good result for a reference card.

Solution

Dc5daft

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Thanks again for the replies. From the searching I done though I thought the RX580 draws only about 350W, used a few power supply calculators too and were saying my full setup would be drawing about 450W.

I'll do some more asking about and see if I can borrow one before buying a new one, thanks again.

Dc5daft

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Thanks! I'll get some screenshots and upload them once I'm back from work.

I had tried re-applying the thermal paste too, tried that many things I've forgotten half of them lol!

Appreciate all the help

Why have you disabled other stuff? I use Hwinfo as dialy driver for temps and such stuff.
Other way to check voltage would be multimeter and stick it up molex connector, dont worry if you short, the psu will react quite fast with a spark (if you wanna).

Is the MSI Afterburner installed? If yes ,uninstall.

Not quite sure, updated to the last point windows 10? And reinstalled drivers after that?

Dc5daft

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
I had disabled other stuff cause I had it in logging mode before to a CSV file and it was easier to see the specific values that I was looking for.

I have MSI Afterburner installed but only installed it recently for some more troubleshooting, was still getting the issue long before I installed it.

Yeh tried that with no joy, the PC is a new build but took some hard drives from my old build.

GRAPHICS Driver problems
Download the latest drivers for your GPU place them on your desktop get Display Driver Uninstaller from here
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
remove everything after restarting it will probably be 640x480 not great instal your AMD/NVIDIA drivers and hopefully should fix your problem

Dc5daft

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Thanks again for the replies guys. I'll try re-install the drivers again tonight, I had only tried upgrading before so fingers crossed that's the issue. If not I will take it to a shop at the weekend and see if they can test it out for me.

Will let you know what the issue is, thanks again.

Dc5daft

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Done a full display driver uninstall and reinstalled the drivers but still no joy. Thanks for the suggestion though, hadn't heard of that program before.

Going to see if I can get a hold of another system at the weekend to test my GPU.