[SOLVED] RX 580 problems

Oct 13, 2019
Hi there everyone. Recently, I upgraded my good old GTX 680 to an RX 580 that I bought used. I thought it would be simple and straightforward but boy was I in for a surprise. Before I go further, my system is an i7 3930k@3.2ghz(recently update bios so have not gotten to overclocking yet), 8gb of 1600mhz vengence LP ddr3, Gigabyte X79-UD3, Intel 330 series 240gb ssd and a 1tb seagate barracuda. The RX580 in question is a Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8gb. p.s, the second paragraph highlights my mistakes and stuff I have already fixed so if you are in a rush just skip to the third and fourth paragraph.

It all started with the installation, I pulled out my 680 and placed the RX580 into place. It all went well except it didn't boot. There was a bios switch on the card so I flipped it to the other bios and it did manage to post but there were some weird artifacts and the scaling was way off. At first I thought it was just because there were no drivers so I promptly installed AMD drivers. At about 70%, the screen went black, flashed to blue, flashed to the OS and went to black again over and over again. After 15 minutes, I decided to just reboot the system. The moment the system booted and OS loaded, the same flashing of blue screen, black and OS happened. It never occurred to me to check the BIOS version as I had only recently popped a 1060 in the system and it worked fine. So what I did was ask the guy I had bought the card from. He was baffled as he had just ran benchmarks the day before. He offered to refund me my money but I told him to wait a few days while I figure this out. I called a friend and asked to borrow his HIS IceQ RX580 8gb and installed in my pc. No boot. At this point I was panicking as I thought that there was something wrong with my board. Stupidly, I had already sold my 680 so there was no popping that back in to check. After some quick googling that I should have done earlier, I realized that my motherboard bios was outdated so I borrowed my uncle's Gtx650 since I had no on board graphics. Reflashing the BIOS was a pain in the ass as q-flash just flat out didn't work (it said something like outdated flashing utility) and the Included bios file just refused to be mounted as a bootable drive so I had to use @bios (I know, its a terrible idea). After 15 minutes, viola, the damn thing booted. But this was only the beginning of my problems.

My Unsolvable problems began right after I booted and installed Radeon drivers. My first problem was scaling. You see, the screen was cutting off on all four sides of the monitor and the windows scaling settings did not solve the problem. It just made the clipping worse. I figured out how to solve the screen cut off problem by changing the HDMI scaling in radeon settings. Problem is, it introduced this lag. Everything was just laggy. Restarting didn't work, reinstalling drivers didn't work and playing around with the settings in radeon settings also did not solve the lag issue. The picture quality was also worse. Everything was just soft and slightly blurry. I googled and everywhere just point to not messing with HDMI scaling and only changing the scaling on windows but NO MATTER HOW MUCH I CHANGED THE WINDOWS SCALING, THE SCREEN STILL CLIPPED.

My second problem happened when I tried to run Chrome. I opened chrome and it was just a black window. Nothing. You can drag, close and minimize the window but it was just black. Google's solution seems to be disabling GPU acceleration but I cant really do that with chrome being black and all. There was also a suggestion to change the path of the chrome shortcut and adding : "[space]-disable-gpu" at the end of the path file but that did not work also. Opera browser worked fine so that is what I am typing from. This is my first time using team red's GPU's and I am seriously turned off. Every team green GPU I have used has worked flawlessly. It is a massive shame because this RX580 is a great deal at 50 bucks. It is unlikely that this particular card is defective as the same problems also happens on my friends RX580. I am out of options. Drivers are up to date and everything else seems fine. Please help.

Oct 13, 2019