Question rx 580 ryzen 2700

Jun 4, 2020
hey guys, i have some doubts about mi pc. Im currently playing csgo at 1024x768 4:3(settings very low) and i have 277fps at benchmark map on workshop. When i play competitive my average fps are 180-230. i dont know if this is OK or i should have some more fps. i have a 240hz monitor so if anybody can help me to get some more fps it will be very apreciated.

here are my pc specs: amd ryzen 7 2700, ram 2x8gb 2400mhz, rx580 8gb, 1tb hdd, 128 ssd.

every help will be much apreciated.

sorry for bad english.

thanks.

AtNvme

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015
www.twitch.tv
A good way to check where the issues lies is by checking your CPU/GPU usage while playing.
First off, make sure your FPS is unlocked in CS:GO for optimal results using: fps_max 0 in the console
Then open your task manager while playing (if you have 2 monitors put it on the second and keep an eye on it).
Either your GPU or CPU should be near 100%, or both. Depending on which one has the highest usage %, we can determine what is holding your FPS in game and figure out a way to improve it from there.

EDIT: Competitive games like CS:GO are often CPU bound. Do you notice large FPS differences when you change visual settings? If not, it's most likely CPU bound. In that case, there are a few options ranging from upgrading to overclocking.

EDIT2: Did you unlock your monitor's 244Hz? You have to change refresh rate on your display settings, as they will run at 60Hz by default. If you haven't done that, you should make sure to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hey there,

Well, you are getting 270+ on a benchmark, which has no real players, and has a set run of details/data to show. This is obviously less demanding than actually playing a game. I would say it's not unusual to have less FPS in game, than a benchmark.

It's no harm doing checks as the @AtNvme has suggested. However, there is no way in hell that your Ryzen 2700 is bottle-necking your RX580. Additionally for CS:GO your CPU usage will be quite low (it's just not a demanding game CPU wise). So your CPU may not even touch 50% usage. Again, it could be said of the GPU, that it's very strong for a game like CS:GO and may not use 100% GPU usage.

AtNvme

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015
www.twitch.tv
Hey there,

Well, you are getting 270+ on a benchmark, which has no real players, and has a set run of details/data to show. This is obviously less demanding than actually playing a game. I would say it's not unusual to have less FPS in game, than a benchmark.

It's no harm doing checks as the @AtNvme has suggested. However, there is no way in hell that your Ryzen 2700 is bottle-necking your RX580. Additionally for CS:GO your CPU usage will be quite low (it's just not a demanding game CPU wise). So your CPU may not even touch 50% usage. Again, it could be said of the GPU, that it's very strong for a game like CS:GO and may not use 100% GPU usage.
At higher framerates, your CPU has to supply every single pre-render of those frames to your GPU. The higher FPS you pump out, the higher your CPU usage will be, as they are working together. Usually CS:GO isn't demanding, but when the output is large enough, it can "clog up" on the CPU side, since it's not able to pre-render fast enough for the GPU. That's also why we need to test, to make sure. The 2700 is a good cpu, but clock speeds are low, and single core performance is mediocre compared to, say, Intel products. Ryzen are good multitasking CPU's but are not as good on the single core side, which is where gaming really benefits.

Slow memory could be causing those lower FPS and dips, ideal speed for second gen AMD Ryzen is 3200mhz.
That is also true, a CPU bound system can benefit faster RAM, as it will allow faster data transfers. 3200MHz is, in fact, great for 2000's Ryzen CPU's. You could see approximately a 10FPS or so from upgrading your memory.

Slow memory could be causing those lower FPS and dips, ideal speed for second gen AMD Ryzen is 3200mhz.

While I don't play CSGO the testing I've done going between 2133 and 3200 on a Ryzen 2600 was as high as 25 FPS difference in performance and next to nothing for FPS dips compared to at 2133 were the dips were frequent and drastic.
Ha! Good spot! I hadn't noticed that, and totally agree. Going from 2400mhz to 3200mhz, can give a performance boost of 10-20% game dependant, and is definitely worth looking at for more free FPS for the OP.

Reactions: AtNvme
Hey there,

Whilst I don't disagree necessarily, the R2700 is plenty for a GPU like the RX580. Could you eek out another 1-5 fps with a similarly specced Intel proc, well, the answer is yes, possibly (depending on which Intel proc specifically) because of the single core performance you mentioned.

Other than swapping platform to see, that point is kinda irrelevant right now. IMO there is no way the R2700 cannot provide data fast enough to that GPU.

Jun 4, 2020
A good way to check where the issues lies is by checking your CPU/GPU usage while playing.
First off, make sure your FPS is unlocked in CS:GO for optimal results using: fps_max 0 in the console
Then open your task manager while playing (if you have 2 monitors put it on the second and keep an eye on it).
Either your GPU or CPU should be near 100%, or both. Depending on which one has the highest usage %, we can determine what is holding your FPS in game and figure out a way to improve it from there.

EDIT: Competitive games like CS:GO are often CPU bound. Do you notice large FPS differences when you change visual settings? If not, it's most likely CPU bound. In that case, there are a few options ranging from upgrading to overclocking.

EDIT2: Did you unlock your monitor's 244Hz? You have to change refresh rate on your display settings, as they will run at 60Hz by default. If you haven't done that, you should make sure to do so.
Hi thanks for your help. Yes i did unlock my monitor. When i change graphic settings on csgo y dont experience a big change, i can play on high or low and my fps will move like 10-30fps. While im playing my gpu uses 12% and my cpu uses 30%.
Do u think i can improve my fps? or those fps are the correct ones for my pc specs?
THANKS!

Jun 4, 2020
Hey there,

thanks for your time! :)

Jun 4, 2020
Whilst I don't disagree necessarily, the R2700 is plenty for a GPU like the RX580. Could you eek out another 1-5 fps with a similarly specced Intel proc, well, the answer is yes, possibly (depending on which Intel proc specifically) because of the single core performance you mentioned.

Other than swapping platform to see, that point is kinda irrelevant right now. IMO there is no way the R2700 cannot provide data fast enough to that GPU.
Hi, so my unique possible way is to upgrade my gpu? There is nothing else i can do.

Jun 4, 2020

While I don't play CSGO the testing I've done going between 2133 and 3200 on a Ryzen 2600 was as high as 25 FPS difference in performance and next to nothing for FPS dips compared to at 2133 were the dips were frequent and drastic.
my 2x8gb ram are 2400mhz so that can be a issue?

AtNvme

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015
www.twitch.tv
Hi thanks for your help. Yes i did unlock my monitor. When i change graphic settings on csgo y dont experience a big change, i can play on high or low and my fps will move like 10-30fps. While im playing my gpu uses 12% and my cpu uses 30%.
Do u think i can improve my fps? or those fps are the correct ones for my pc specs?
THANKS!
You only see a 30% overall CPU usage and 12% GPU while playing? This seems off. Are you tabbing out of your game before checking? If so it's because it stops rendering as you do so. Try setting it to Windowed, hop into a community server and check percentages then. If they stay that way, make sure your max FPS is unlocked in game.

EDIT: Make sure your game is running fully, since sometimes only changing the focus to the task manager will limit it's background usage. Try moving the task manager somewhere you can see it under the game, since you run it at a lower res, it should be pretty small. Then just play and keep an eye on your usage while you are actively playing (Yes you will have to play in a tiny window :p).

Jun 4, 2020
You only see a 30% overall CPU usage and 12% GPU while playing? This seems off. Are you tabbing out of your game before checking? If so it's because it stops rendering as you do so. Try setting it to Windowed, hop into a community server and check percentages then. If they stay that way, make sure your max FPS is unlocked in game.

EDIT: Make sure your game is running fully, since sometimes only changing the focus to the task manager will limit it's background usage. Try moving the task manager somewhere you can see it under the game, since you run it at a lower res, it should be pretty small. Then just play and keep an eye on your usage while you are actively playing (Yes you will have to play in a tiny window :p).
hey i did what you told me. So my cpu went into a max of 20% while my gpu ran most of the time at 90-100%. there is something that i can do? or just upgrading my gpu?
thanks a lot dude

AtNvme

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015
www.twitch.tv
Well, sorry for the month late response. I'm guessing you've already figured out your issue at this point, but in the slim but possible case you're still waiting on an answer it simply means your GPU can't output this many frames. You can try overclocking it to try and squeeze a few more frames out of it, or upgrade if you have the money for it.

In the case of overclocking, I doubt you will be able to reach a constant 240FPS, but it might help slightly. Here's a really easy to follow guide on how to quickly OC your GPU from Userbenchmark:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbq-XpeNckY

It's very easy and straightforward, just make sure you don't mess up the numbers before pressing apply.

As for buying a new card, here are a few to consider sitting on a good value for performance.
As for Nvidia cards, I would recommend either the 1660S or the 1660Ti, depending on budget. The Ti is slightly better, but comes at a slight premium.
For AMD, I'd recommend the 5600-XT, being close to the 1660Ti in price and offering comparable performance.
All of those are recent cards and will give you the most features and FPS/$ while still being a considerable upgrade to your RX 580.

There is also the used market, if your area has a good supply of second hand cards. Those can come cheap and give you better value, but they all come with second hand hardware risks. Also make sure it's a substancial upgrade, since a 980-Ti is basically the equivalent of a 1660Ti, generations matter a lot! A 1070/1070Ti/1080 is a good second hand bet if you want an equivalent upgrade and can find them at an advantageous price.

If you do upgrade GPU I recommend downloading DDU and reinstalling fresh drivers, especially if you switch from AMD to Nvidia.

Again, sorry for the delay, I simply stopped going on the forum, as I tend to walk away when my own issues are fixed.
(I'm back, I've got more)

Have a good one and hope this helped!