Rx 580 sapphire nitro+ how to check if bios was changed for mining

Oct 18, 2018
Guys, so I got a 2nd hand Rx 580 Sapphire Nitro + for an affordable price. However, I've read that miners change the bios to improve hash rates. So my question is how do I know if the previous owner changed the bios for mining? Would it have a negative effect on fps of games? And do I have to update my gpu bios?

I'll be only using this for gaming. And I'm concerned if a mining bios will affect game performanc and framerates.

That card has dual BIOS, meaning there will be a little switch on the card that will switch from a user BIOS (one that would be edited) and a permanent default BIOS (one that is not edited). So no worries :)

However, if you're curious;
You can download a BIOS editor for the card and compare what's listed to what the default is.
But if it was a mining card, your FPS and stability could absolutely be affected likely for the worse. Mining cards are typically undervolted and overclocked at the same time pushing the limits of stability. An overclock that is stable for mining could crash instantly while gaming.

The easiest way to check would be to just download a tool like MSI afterburner and view the speeds at which the card is running at. Compare those speeds to default.