rx 580 sapphire pulse 8gb vs nitro+ 4gb

Aug 17, 2018
SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 100411NT+4G-2L 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 CrossFireX Support ATX Video Card w/ Backplate (UEFI), SAMSUNG MEMORY or Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E Dual HDMI / DVI-D / Dual DP OC w/ Backplate (UEFI), 100411P8GOCL?
which one is better? What does the 4GB and 8GB GDDR5 mean, is more better and would I get the pulse because of it?

I could get the NITRO+ for about 20$ cheaper, is that a good deal?

Mostly going to be playing wow, skyrim, dragon age. maybe some fps games.
thanks

Solution
The amount of memory can be important. If a card doesn't have enough memory to run a certain game at a certain resolution and high settings, you might have to reduce the settings or resolution in order to keep the framerate from dropping.

Your question has no definitive answer because right now, in 2018, the 4gb card is 'enough'. Those are intended as 1080p cards and both of them will handle today's games at 1080p very nicely.

So will 8gb come in handy some day? Yes, if history has shown us anything, it's that games will use more and more vram. However, WHEN will 8gb become useful? No one knows. Maybe the day you need 8gb vram you will also need something better than a 580.

Now, if it were my choice, since the difference is only...
The amount of memory can be important. If a card doesn't have enough memory to run a certain game at a certain resolution and high settings, you might have to reduce the settings or resolution in order to keep the framerate from dropping.

Your question has no definitive answer because right now, in 2018, the 4gb card is 'enough'. Those are intended as 1080p cards and both of them will handle today's games at 1080p very nicely.

So will 8gb come in handy some day? Yes, if history has shown us anything, it's that games will use more and more vram. However, WHEN will 8gb become useful? No one knows. Maybe the day you need 8gb vram you will also need something better than a 580.

Now, if it were my choice, since the difference is only $20, I'd get the 8gb card. It looks to me like the Nitro is Sapphire's higher clocked 580, however, factory overclocks are nice but a 580 is a 580. The Nitro might also have extras like RGB lighting, if that's important to you.

None of the games you play will require an 8gb card, so you can't really go wrong either way. I assume the rest of your computer is good to go.

Reactions: Gee_Simpson
Solution