Question RX 580 Underperforming Due to Power Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2023
I recently bought second hand rx 580 and it has no problems except the fact that it's underperforming. I fiddled around with the card and noticed gpu-z says it has power limit of 100w which I found to be suspicious thus I checked other bios's of the card from different manufecterers and they usually have power limit of 120w. Thing is my fps goes up by roughly %25 in furmark (from 43 to 55) if I increase the power limit with something like msi afterburner to 120w. I asked the manufecterer for the card's original bios cuz I thought it may be fiddled with but unfortunately they send me the same bios.

My question is if there is any harm to card if I increase the power limit? I fear increasing the power limit might put a lot of load onto card's vrm's or something. My bios says the card has 120 tdp if it matters.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

I recently bought second hand rx 580
You might want to tread carefully unless that card is expendable. An used card will most certainly have been used for mining and as such everything can and will be prone to conking out.

Sep 11, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

I recently bought second hand rx 580
You might want to tread carefully unless that card is expendable. An used card will most certainly have been used for mining and as such everything can and will be prone to conking out.
CPU: Xeon X5670 (No OC)
CPU cooler: Some noname cooler that does the job (if 50C under load is alright)
Motherboard: Huananzhi x58 Deluxe
Ram: Elpida DDR3-1333 16GB x 3
SSD/HDD: 500GB Sandisk SSD
GPU: MLLSE RX 580 2048SP
PSU: MSI MAG A650BN 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE (bought roughly 6 months ago)
Chassis: Some ATX Chassis (there is no brand i bought it like 10 years ago)
Monitor: Asus 1080p I Guess?

Pardon my ignorance. I was never proud of my system.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with your system. I bought 3 of your motherboards little brother. 3 years and going strong .If not for it missing the AVI instructions it still rocks.

I have 3 RX 580 Devils edition from power color but I just realized I have never used on these boards. Have you tried different AMD drivers to see how the card works with a couple drivers back.

Also who does a lot of voltage videos for GPU is "tech yes city " on youtube maybe you can see what you can do for your card with his how to's

Reactions: andy2727
Sep 11, 2023
Nothing wrong with your system. I bought 3 of your motherboards little brother. 3 years and going strong .If not for it missing the AVI instructions it still rocks.

I have 3 RX 580 Devils edition from power color but I just realized I have never used on these boards. Have you tried different AMD drivers to see how the card works with a couple drivers back.

Also who does a lot of voltage videos for GPU is "tech yes city " on youtube maybe you can see what you can do for your card with his how to's
Yeah avx instructions seems to be only roadblock for this motherboard and the power of the cpus i guess. I heard some rx 500 or even 400 series cards don't work with this motherboard since they don't have legacy boot support in their vbios which changes from manufacturer to manufacturer. It's not something you can't work around with though. You can use older card to boot into windows and then use the newer card (since motherboard has 2 slots for gpu) or there are software out there that emulates uefi boot environment or alternatively you can try to tweak the vbios of your card if you are determined enough. Luckily mine has legacy boot support so i didn't have to worry about it.

Also i realized underperforming might be the wrong word here. My card performs same as the other 2048sp cards it's just that it never reaches the peak other cards can reach due to lower power limit.

Thank you for the reference i'll check out the videos in my free time.

Oct 16, 2023
CPU: Xeon X5670 (No OC)
CPU cooler: Some noname cooler that does the job (if 50C under load is alright)
Motherboard: Huananzhi x58 Deluxe
Ram: Elpida DDR3-1333 16GB x 3
SSD/HDD: 500GB Sandisk SSD
GPU: MLLSE RX 580 2048SP
PSU: MSI MAG A650BN 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE (bought roughly 6 months ago)
Chassis: Some ATX Chassis (there is no brand i bought it like 10 years ago)
Monitor: Asus 1080p I Guess?

Put a new thermal paste job on it I have fixed a ton with this issue, but just figured I would recommend it. It's cheap and easy.

Sep 11, 2023
Put a new thermal paste job on it I have fixed a ton with this issue, but just figured I would recommend it. It's cheap and easy.
weird i don't think there is any heat related issues since the temps caps out around 50c under %100 load. i just increased power limit to 120w through amd driver and living with it

Oct 16, 2023
weird i don't think there is any heat related issues since the temps caps out around 50c under %100 load. i just increased power limit to 120w through amd driver and living with it

Mine wasn't over heating either. But there was enough making a solid pass through but just was a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.