Question RX 580 Undervolting is totally safe?

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
I just saw some posts on internet where people turned down the RX 580's core voltage to something like -150's and got -25C Celsius in temperature while maintaining almost the same or even better (?) results after doing so. But that didn't totally make sense to me, since if it has no minuses, why is it not set like that in stock version? What is the purpose of putting down more Voltage if it is not gonna give you anything other then higher, way higher temps.

Are there anyone who ever undervolted their AMD cards and got good results? Are there any risks on that?

I just saw some posts on internet where people turned down the RX 580's core voltage to something like -150's and got -25C Celsius in temperature while maintaining almost the same or even better (?) results after doing so. But that didn't totally make sense to me, since if it has no minuses, why is it not set like that in stock version? What is the purpose of putting down more Voltage if it is not gonna give you anything other then higher, way higher temps.

Are there anyone who ever undervolted their AMD cards and got good results? Are there any risks on that?
Well, I did back in the R9-290X era. It did get the temps down a little so the clocks got stable. It is a silicone lottery though - no 2 cards are the same.

*Thread Necro
When a card manufacturer creates their frequency voltage curve to write into their vBIOS, they test a bunch of cards to determine the worst samples. The frequency voltage curve is set to keep those worst samples stable. Because of silicon quality variance (silicon lottery) some chips will inherently be stable at the same frequency using lower voltage than others.
In my experience (depending on what the reference voltage was)-150mV is more than usual (typically more like 40-75mV). It also depends on what level of stability you're looking to achieve also (same principles apply as with CPU tuning).

Especially with RX500 series GPUs (which are just factory overclocked 400 series) undervolting not only saves power (as it does on any GPU) but more importantly avoids power limit throttling that's all too common on RX500 series GPUs.

I've worked with dozens of people in TH forum getting their RX570/580 cards to stop power limit throttling.

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Heya,
ofc you can undervolt your RX580. I undervolted mine from stock 1150mV down to 1080mV. That's the lowest voltage I could reach without issues. I recommend you to go in -5 or -10 mV steps and always run a test (I was using Unigine Valley). If you won't get any crashes or glitches after 1-2 runs, continue lowering the voltage until you get there (crash/glitch). Then go back 10mV up and you should be good to go.
Cheers

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Nice thread, good post tennis2.... Yes you can undervolt but why ? At stock clocks if you undervolt then play a intensive AAA game and what not then your at risk of a hard crash. If you don't game then the 2D clocks and undervolting on your desktop is just fine but still you wont really be saving any power the card is already underpowered with those 2D clocks ya know. ;)

Well the idea of any manual tuning (CPU or GPU) is to run settings that are stable. You run stress tests to ensure that.

My RX480 is rock solid stable at 1305MHz/1040mV. Auto pushes voltages to 1075mV or 1150mV (it seems to be random). So I'm saving about 20-30W of power/ heat. My card also runs an unwavering all day long (literally while im running F@H) 1305MHz at 73C (in FurMark) with only 1100rpm fans. Part of that low fans is because I re-applied thermal paste to the GPU.

As I also mentioned, since 500 series Polaris GPUs have issues maintaining core frequency due to too high of stock voltage causing power limit throttling, its beneficial to figure out what your specific card ACTUALLY needs so you can remedy that situation if nothing else. The quick and dirty way is to simply increase the power limit % slider, but that just makes your temps/ fan speeds worse.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS