[SOLVED] RX 580 Usage Spiking

Sep 21, 2020
I’m hoping folks on this forum might be able to help me. I recently got a RX580 and I am experiencing major GPU usage spikes when running World of Warcraft (and just WOW). This doesn’t happen when I am idle. The spikes are noted within AMD’s software center and I can hear them happening because the GPU fans spin like wild. Breakdown of hardware below. Any recommendations to stop this? I’m worried about it burning out my GPU.

GPU: RX580
CPU: intel i8-4790k
Motherboard: Z97 PC MS-7850
RAM: 16gb
PSU: EVGA 210-GQ-0750-V1 750W
Operating System & Version: windows 10
GPU Drivers: AMD 20.8.20

Here is an imgur link of what the AMD software center typically looks like > View: https://imgur.com/a/1GEidUS

I've read that the software center can misrepresent what the card is actually doing, but my concern is that the fans are definitely spiking and spinning like crazy during these spikes.

Solution
I’m hoping folks on this forum might be able to help me. I recently got a RX580 and I am experiencing major GPU usage spikes when running World of Warcraft (and just WOW). This doesn’t happen when I am idle. The spikes are noted within AMD’s software center and I can hear them happening because the GPU fans spin like wild. Breakdown of hardware below. Any recommendations to stop this? I’m worried about it burning out my GPU.

Here is an imgur link of what the AMD software center typically looks like > ...

Here is an imgur link of what the AMD software center typically looks like > View: https://imgur.com/a/1GEidUS

I've read that the software center can misrepresent what the card is actually doing, but my concern is that the fans are definitely spiking and spinning like crazy during these spikes.

There is no reason to believe that a spike in GPU usage is going to burn out your GPU. Your GPU is designed to run at high utilization.

If your fan speeds are spiking erratically in a distracting way, you should create a custom fan curve that keeps the fan speed from ramping up and down so aggressively.

Solution