Question RX 580 usage unstable

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Hi. While I'm playing in some areas the gpu usage fluctuates a lot. I don't have issues with fps when its at 90-100% of usage but it drops randomly sometimes. For example, in Borderland 3 usage drops in Pandora and FPS too, and it's a demanding area so i don't understand that.

System: Ryzen 1600 3.9ghz
2x4 GB RAM 3000mhz
Mobo B450M DS3H GIGABYTE
PSU: TT BX1 RGB 650W
SSD Crucial 240gb
AsRock RX 580 8GB

GPU Temps are between 65-67°

Edit: I set render scale to 125% and it seems to get gpu usage stable. But when I set render scale at 100% it starts to fluctuate. All of this in the same area. I don't want to play with render scale at 125% because i lose some fps...

Last edited:

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
That's because you're CPU-limited in those situations.

CPU tells GPU what to render in each frame. If GPU can finish rendering a frame before the CPU tells it what to render next, the GPU has to wait (usage % goes down).

It may be that. But I saw a lot of threads in the Amd forum page and a lot of people have the same problem with the same Gpu or others like Vega and they have good CPUs

Be careful generalizing everyone's individual system specs and issues from "a lot of threads" in a forum somewhere. Not many people understand the concept of CPU vs GPU limitation and how to spot which one is happening.

You've already diagnosed your own problem. By upping the render scale to 125% you made your GPU work 25% harder. Therefore, peak FPS goes down (probably closer to the lower FPS you had at 100% scaling) and your CPU and GPU are pretty equally balanced in terms of utilization/limitation.

Last edited:

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
I still don't understand why I see benchmarks of the same game with the same systems and same graphics config and other's GPU is always at 100% usage. I even have the CPU overclocked to 3.9ghz. I know it's not the best but in benchmarks at 3.6ghz the cpu push the gpu very well.

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
I still don't understand why I see benchmarks of the same game with the same systems and same graphics config and other's GPU is always at 100% usage. I even have the CPU overclocked to 3.9ghz. I know it's not the best but in benchmarks at 3.6ghz the cpu push the gpu very well.

Anyone?