[SOLVED] Rx 580 with RS-500-PCAR-I3

moeali

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
Hi, i bought a used pc and then bought a graphics card, rx 580, separately.
The pc have coolermaster RS-500-PCAR-I3 psu , and it only has a 6pin connection.
I used 6 to 8pin adapter to connect the graphic card but when i try testing the card using any benchmark app the screen turns off.
I'm worried the psu isn't enough or the 6 to 8pin isn't enough for rx 580, or that i simply bought a faulty card.
What do u think could be the problem? Could it actually be the psu?

Solution
NEVER use a 6-pin-to-8-pin adapter. You are begging for a PSU failure, or possible electrical fire.

8-pin is designed to pull as much as 150W, 6-pin is only designed for 75W.

The GPU is expecting an 8-pin, so it will try to pull as much as 150W from that connector.

Above and beyond that, CoolerMaster does not make good PSUs - in addition to the fact that this seems to be a very old model (reviews from 2009 and 2012).

Note this image:
61vLEbnlS8L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It's only 360W available on the 12V rail, so, basically only a 360W PSU.

Getting a better PSU is a MUST if you wish to avoid damage to the rest of your PC. Ideally, a Seasonic Focus, or Corsair TX, TXm, RM, or RMx...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
NEVER use a 6-pin-to-8-pin adapter. You are begging for a PSU failure, or possible electrical fire.

8-pin is designed to pull as much as 150W, 6-pin is only designed for 75W.

The GPU is expecting an 8-pin, so it will try to pull as much as 150W from that connector.

Above and beyond that, CoolerMaster does not make good PSUs - in addition to the fact that this seems to be a very old model (reviews from 2009 and 2012).

Note this image:
61vLEbnlS8L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It's only 360W available on the 12V rail, so, basically only a 360W PSU.

Getting a better PSU is a MUST if you wish to avoid damage to the rest of your PC. Ideally, a Seasonic Focus, or Corsair TX, TXm, RM, or RMx.

If necessary, a Corsair CX will do the job if it is NOT a green-label version, and if the seller notes it has 5-year warranty (staring with the 2017 revision).

Reactions: moeali
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oh, it's probably "officially" a 500W, and I'm sure they sell it as such, but these days, the 5V and 3.3V rails are not as important as they used to be. The 12V rail is most important, and one sign of a good power supply is that it will offer 100% of its rated wattage on the 12V rail.

There are a lot of PSUs out there, unfortunately, that do that kind of shady/questionable thing.

Take a look at the first link in my sig for a guide on good vs bad power supplies.

TRENDING THREADS