RX 580 worse performance than GTX 1050 using Pentium G4560

v.korpelshoek

Commendable
Nov 8, 2017
Hello everyone!
I’m currently using the Gigabyte RX 580 8GB and the Pentium G4560. I came from a GTX 1050 2GB. This should be a huge upgrade, that’s what I thought. But I didn’t know the bottleneck would make such an ENORMOUS difference. I’m getting only slightly more FPS than the GTX 1050 and it feels choppy overall. It also does not have stable FPS. It goes up and down from 70 to 150. How do I make a bottleneck more stable in FPS? It doesn’t really have to hit 144 all the time, but since I got a 144Hz Monitor I’d really like 110+ FPS ( I don’t mind playing on Low settings). Using different graphic settings doesn’t make any impact on FPS in these games I play: BF1, R6S, COD WW2. I’d prefer to play on GTX 1050 because it doesn’t have stutters/FPS drops and the 1050 is just smoother overall even on lower FPS than RX 580. Can anyone help me with this? The only thing I want is just stable FPS and a smooth experience just like on the GTX 1050. (Btw I literally have no money for CPU upgrade).

Thanks in advance!

Bonus question: will trading my non FreeSync monitor in for a FreeSync Monitor solve the stutter problem and make it smoother?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Until you upgrade your CPU your best option is probably just to crank up graphics settings to the point where your CPU isn't as much of a bottleneck. If you're already using max settings in game, you can try using VSR to render in 1440p/4K, which is then downsampled to 1080P (I'm assuming you have a 1080p monitor). You won't be getting 110+ fps, but hopefully your FPS will be more stable, and your CPU isn't capable of providing a stable 110+ anyway. Most settings don't really affect CPU usage much, so you probably can't get around your CPU bottleneck by just tweaking settings.

v.korpelshoek

Commendable
Nov 8, 2017

Yes but how can I get more FPS so I can atleast get a more smooth experience? I just can’t stand the FPS drops every couple seconds between 60-150.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
You said that changing graphics settings didn't make a difference on FPS, so you're definitely CPU bottlenecked. This means there's really nothing you can do to increase your FPS. As I said above, if you want try to reduce stutter and large swings in FPS, your best be is probably to try to decrease your average FPS by cranking up graphics settings (i.e. VSR). Your average FPS will be lower, but the variance in FPS should hopefully go down as well. An average FPS of 70-80 with dips down to 60 would probably feel smoother than average FPS of 120 with dips down to 60.

With regards to your freesync question, are you playing with Vsync on?

Also, how much RAM do you have?

v.korpelshoek

Commendable
Nov 8, 2017

Yes, I was aware of a bottleneck, but I did NOT expect it to have such an ENORMOUS impact in terms of fps. I thought it'd just limit the max amount of fps by 15 or so. I wasn't expecting a lot of fps differences.

I'm playing with Vsync turned off in game and also in AMD settings.

I'm using 8gb of RAM. While playing games I see usually about 80% of RAM used.

yo.edy.4ever

Reputable
Nov 8, 2017
When you installed the GPU card, did you remove the previous drivers? Run Display Driver Uninstaller, choose Nvidia and see if there are any leftover files to clean. After, uninstall your current AMD drivers and install the latest one. Do all of that in safe mode with this program.

falconpunch3D

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

I don't necessarily have a solution, just wanted to say I don't blame you for being surprised by this... I also would have expected a "stable" bottleneck similar to what you said.

I briefly had an RX480 (basically the same card) paired with an overclocked G3258 @4.3 and it wasn't terrible. Would have expected the G4560 with the addition of hyperthreading to do better, especially the newer the game... but then the clock IS lower and locked... hmmm.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Well, hate to say it but I think you just overestimated your CPU in that case. High fps gaming takes a powerful CPU, I would typically recommend an i7 or overclocked i5 for people with a 144 Hz monitor. For a Pentium, I'd say 60 fps gaming in modern games is about the best you can hope for.

Also, I remember seeing some evidence a while back that AMD drivers had more overhead Nvidia drivers. Which means that they can perform worse when paired with a weak CPU. Not sure it that's still true though.

There are maybe a few things you can still check for though. As said above, make sure you uninstalled your old Nvidia drivers with DDU. Also, I found that sometimes a clean Windows install can be beneficial when you get a new card. You could experiment with this without having to blow away your current OS install by creating a small partition just to install windows, drivers, and a game. You could then compare performance between the new and old OS install.

Also, it's always a good idea to double check your clock speeds and temperatures under load, to make sure there's no overheating or throttling going on.

v.korpelshoek

Commendable
Nov 8, 2017

yes I did that process twice now...

v.korpelshoek

Commendable
Nov 8, 2017

Yes it's so weird. I even called the techsupport from which I bought the card and they also don't have a clue.