[SOLVED] RX 590 50C idle. Crashes on stock settings

Oct 20, 2017
To sum up it up. I have purchased a RX590 because it was on sale for only $190-200. Before I was running a R9 Fury, and decided to put that in another machine and get a 590 (for the 8gb vram, and it was cheap) to run VR games smoothly. However over time i noticed that it would black screen, crash in VR games, desktop games, etc. All of the expected things from a card that's running unstable. I have increased the voltage so far by +12 on after burner just to see if that would take care of any crashing. Which it did solve my issues, but the card runs very warm even at idle. Idle would be around 53C and gaming can reach up to 84C with stock settings, and stock fan curve. Voltages run from 1.181 to 1.212, and will has a high recorded spike of 1.258. I know 50+C at idle is not right, and im starting to think if this is a bad card, bad drivers, a mix, something. So I'm posting this up to see if anyone has suggestions to why its running so warm and if its possible to undervolt with the 590 cards. I doubt it if it would crash on stock voltage with a clock speed of 1545. Here are system specs

ASUS Z390-A Prime
i7 9700k @ 5.2Ghz Manual OC + Water Cooling
32Gb G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200 DDR4
1x Rx 590 Fatboy Edition
1x Sapphire R9 Nitro Fury (installed sometimes for recording purposes, at the moment it is uninstalled from the system)
1x 500Gb Samsung 860 EVO
1x 2Tb Seagate HDD
EVGA 850W Gold G2 Supernova
Corsair Spec Alpha (Case)
3 Intake fans, 2 Exhaust fans

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Flag 1: The cooler for that specific cooler for that card straight up sucks. It's been reviewed before.
50C idle isn't unusual at all though.
84C load is borderline throttle limit for the gpu core(85C). The Vram and VRM have to be running even hotter than that.

Flag 2: I don't see any mention of having cleaned out the old gpu driver via Display Driver Uninstaller.
The R9 Fury and RX 590 don't use the same driver.

Flag 3, and this one likely adds to flag 1: Chassis cooling potential is weak.
You seem to have the cpu covered, but the gpu got neglected, which the chassis' design isn't helping.

Oct 20, 2017
Flag 1: The cooler for that specific cooler for that card straight up sucks. It's been reviewed before.
50C idle isn't unusual at all though.
84C load is borderline throttle limit for the gpu core(85C). The Vram and VRM have to be running even hotter than that.

Flag 2: I don't see any mention of having cleaned out the old gpu driver via Display Driver Uninstaller.
The R9 Fury and RX 590 don't use the same driver.

Flag 3, and this one likely adds to flag 1: Chassis cooling potential is weak.
You seem to have the cpu covered, but the gpu got neglected, which the chassis' design isn't helping.

Hi Phaaze88. Thank you for the response, I wasn't sure if the RX 590 was suppose to run so warm with the specific cooler, thank you for mentioning that. But for crashing, I forgot to mention that I have clean and up-to-date drivers, and have used the DDU tool to do so. Otherwise the card will crash on stock settings, but when the power limit is increased, and voltage is increased to +12, these situations stop. I can keep testing the card and try previous drivers while I am at it. And for fun I will also try putting my hardware into another case I have sitting around and see how temps play from there.

Well I was going to suggest DDU on the drivers, it's worth a shot. Personally I just did the opposite and moved from Polaris to Fiji XT. RX 570 to Fury X and had no issues so your mileage may vary. Also I wanted to mention I experience far less glitching and weird behavior with the fury x vs the 570 though most of the issues I was experiencing dissipated after driver 20.10.1 but were still mroe frequent than they are with this fury x.

download the most recent drivers
download ddu
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
uninstal your amd software
reboot to safe mode
run ddu
delete all traces of amd drivers
reboot
instal the most recent drivers
test again
Also drop that +12 on the voltage

Oct 20, 2017
Well I was going to suggest DDU on the drivers, it's worth a shot. Personally I just did the opposite and moved from Polaris to Fiji XT. RX 570 to Fury X and had no issues so your mileage may vary. Also I wanted to mention I experience far less glitching and weird behavior with the fury x vs the 570 though most of the issues I was experiencing dissipated after driver 20.10.1 but were still mroe frequent than they are with this fury x.

download the most recent drivers
download ddu
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
uninstal your amd software
reboot to safe mode
run ddu
delete all traces of amd drivers
reboot
instal the most recent drivers
test again
Also drop that +12 on the voltage

Completed all of the following steps. I am actually running a clean install of windows (mainly because I wanted a clean install, and was not initially for the GPU issues). Same problem occurs, my display also ends up going into sleep mode and will not turn back on. Otherwise same problem, but once the +12V or higher is applied the card runs just fine

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Completed all of the following steps. I am actually running a clean install of windows (mainly because I wanted a clean install, and was not initially for the GPU issues). Same problem occurs, my display also ends up going into sleep mode and will not turn back on. Otherwise same problem, but once the +12V or higher is applied the card runs just fine
Accelerated degradation via sustained high operating thermals is what I'm thinking now.

You've only had it 4 months, but if the card's been sitting at borderline throttle temps under load all that time, and now it needs more voltage to sustain those same clocks without crashing...
It'll probably start crashing again before long, and you'll have to increase the voltage again.

Oct 20, 2017
Accelerated degradation via sustained high operating thermals is what I'm thinking now.

You've only had it 4 months, but if the card's been sitting at borderline throttle temps under load all that time, and now it needs more voltage to sustain those same clocks without crashing...
It'll probably start crashing again before long, and you'll have to increase the voltage again.
well its a new card but maybe change the thermal paste anyway, it could help bring down the temps.

I disassembled the card and changed the thermal paste, doing so improved the cards performance all around. The card does not heat up so much during idle, and I maxed out at 77C Only once, and sustained 73C when playing intense games. I let the card run some games for about 5 hours with no issues. (usually the card would act up 15 minutes within a game) so I'm sure this fixed the issue. Running stock settings, and I also noticed the card is way more quiet when operating. Before the fans would be ramped up to 70-80% fan speed at 75C. Now it only was running 56% at 73C. Thank you both for your help, I will keep testing the card on more games such as VR and benchmarks.

Reactions: spentshells
I disassembled the card and changed the thermal paste, doing so improved the cards performance all around. The card does not heat up so much during idle, and I maxed out at 77C Only once, and sustained 73C when playing intense games. I let the card run some games for about 5 hours with no issues. (usually the card would act up 15 minutes within a game) so I'm sure this fixed the issue. Running stock settings, and I also noticed the card is way more quiet when operating. Before the fans would be ramped up to 70-80% fan speed at 75C. Now it only was running 56% at 73C. Thank you both for your help, I will keep testing the card on more games such as VR and benchmarks.

cool man, CSGO? :URnotsancho

If you are talking about games and benchmarks, CSGO was never a game I have spent a lot of time on. I only have maybe 3 hours registered, lol. Games I have been testing have been Sea of Thieves, VRChat, GTA 5, Warzone, etc. Games that made the card lose its mind fairly easily lmao

I keep trying to play GTA5 but it doesn't really work for me, not sure why I lose interest so quickly