Greetings all, hoping for some advice.

Build specs:
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX
CPU: FX 8350
GPU (Old): Sapphire HD7850
GPU (New): Sapphire RX590
PSU: Corsair Gold 850w
RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1833

Yesterday I installed a new Sapphire RX 590 in my now 5 year old desktop as an upgrade to my existing (but still functional) Sapphire Radeon HD 7850. I was unable to get a video signal with the 590 (no bios, no video, otherwise booted fine, I could hear Windows boot, fans and lights running fine on the new 590). I reverted back to the HD7850 (no integrated graphics on my motherboard) thinking it a Microsoft driver issue (probably wrong in retrospect, since no bios video either). Machine booted fine and I installed the Sapphire provided drivers. Reboot to confirm HD7850 still worked with new drivers, all was well.

Swapped cards again, and the machine failed to post. Hit the power, and no warning lights, sounds, or signs of life other than the LED indicating power to the motherboard. Reseated the RAM and reset the CMOS and the machine posts, but fails self test on the graphics unit (red VGA light on motherboard above GPU).

Assuming it to be a bad factory 590, I again swapped back to the HD7850. Machine posts fine, boots Windows, still no video signal. Tried each of the 4 PCIe 3.0 slots on the board with the known good HD7850, no video.

Anyone have any suggestions? Could the new 590 have zapped my motherboard?

May 8, 2019
Have you also tried booting your OS in both UEFI and Legacy mode, if there is support ? I presume you must be already having the latest BIOS version installed on your system ? Also, try using some other Monitor CABLE, if need be.

Thanks for the response.

I am unable to get video at all to modify the bios boot mode. Whatever mode it is in now previously worked with the HD7850. I tried DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort cables on both cards, no luck.

Edit: I am unsure of the bios version, it has been at least two years since it was updated. I cannot verify without video.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I am also having the same problem.
CPU: FX 8350
Motherboard: ASRock 970A-G/3.1
Graphics: Sapphire RX 590
RAM: Crucial DDR3 1600
Power supply:Quite 1050 watts

I bought 2 590. Installed one into my computer and everything was working great. I installed the second 590 and the computer could not read it. So I tried to update my bios and the computer froze. I rebooted the computer and got no graphic at all. Bought a new bios chip and the computer turned on to bios but the 590 graphic card did not work. installed my old graphic card a EVGA geoforce 960 and the computer worked. I now have two new 590 that do not work. Please help me getting them working because when they did work the were great.

Latest posts