[SOLVED] RX 590, first PC build, what cords are needed?

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
Hi.
I'm building my first PC/overhauling my old PC, and I've got everything going except the graphics card.

I waited 3 weeks and just today got the Radeon RX 590 fatboy card on sale for only $10 more than the Rx 580. I went to install it, and have met nothing but problems left and right.

That said, I've just spent the last 6 hours literally tearing apart my PC case's skeleton because there was a bar blocking the way. And after that, it was just one problem after another.

Now everything's set, the card is finally fitting into the slot, nothing's in the way, and I thought all essentials were accounted for. So I go to turn on my PC, and I notice the 590 Fatboy has a blue light and a red light clearly visible and that the fans aren't working at all. I also notice that while the computer is turning on, there's no visuals whatsoever.

So I look, and I noticed after 6 hours that there's 2 cord spots on the side of the Fatboy beneath the lights, a 6+8 pin. I only have a single 6 pin cord that's connected to a 4 pin that I connect to my motherboard for the CPU. I have no 8 pin cords whatsoever.

So my question is, where and what cords do I need to get? How and Where do I install said cords if it's even possible?? Did I waste my time, effort, and money on something I can't even use?

Current specs minus GPU are thus...
CPU - Intel core i7 4790k
Ram - 2x4 (8) GB (waiting on the mail to upgrade to 2x8 (16) GB)
Motherboard - Acer Veriton M2631G H81H3-AM intel H81 Socket LGA1150
PSU - 350W (do I need to add any other info? I don't really know what's pertinent...)

Old specs before I started upgrades were thus.
CPU - Intel i5 4460
GPU - integrated graphics from motherboard. Then updated to GeForce GT 710.
Ram - 1x4 GB
Motherboard - (same as above. Not upgraded)
PSU - 350W
(what other info is pertinent? I do not know...)

If you need more info, just ask, but at this point, I'm about to give up on upgrading my pc's GPU.
I'm literally bleeding from multiple cuts and swollen with multiple bruises and extremely sore from the last 7 hours of tinkering, taking apart, at times literally bending metal by hand and tearing it to make space and being bent over my workstation (the floor) for 6+ hours straight.

So please help me figure this out...

*edits are adding information and correcting grammar

Last edited:
Solution
I have no idea if it's junk or not seeing as I've been using it without any problems for the last 3 years until now.

Also, I have no idea why you asked where I live. So forgive me for not answering as it's not pertinent to my questions and it's a direct violation of internet safety. I may be a noob to computer hardware upgrades, but I'm not a noob to software or hackers or basic internet security and such like that.

As for buying a "proper PSU", what would you recommend? I do believe that was one of my questions afterall.

Most PSU with wattage that low isn't very high quality. Some are, but most are not. That said its not enough wattage for your build, nor will it have the right connectors.

I wasn't asking you your street...

navask01

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
We will need to know what PSU you currently use. Sorry you had to go through all that trouble

Also, you mentioned you connect the 6pin to the 4pin, which goes the motherboard. I got lost there. Could you clarify, please?

We will need to know what PSU you currently use. Sorry you had to go through all that trouble

Also, you mentioned you connect the 6pin to the 4pin, which goes the motherboard. I got lost there. Could you clarify, please?
He said he only has the cpu atx power cord. His power supply lacks VGA power cables, he needs a new QUALITY PSU. Sounds like he’s dealing with a prebuilt that’s likely has 350-400 watt PSU that EVEN IF he had VGA cables would be inadequate for that GPU.

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020

I have a cable that has both a 4pin and a 6pin connector, and I only use the 4 pin connector for my CPU. I think.

But I don't connect a 6 pin to a 4 pin.

As for my PSU, presuming that means power supply unit, it caps out at 350W. I don't really know what other information I need to share though...

So far, I've not needed to plug anything into the GPU itself, so I learned for the first time yesterday that that's even a thing. I thought you only had to insert it into the slot and go. My old GPU was the GeForce GT 710 and I could barely even play Minecraft, a cpu heavy game, on medium settings without frames even after upgrading my CPU to what it is now.

But if I do need to get a new PSU, will I also need to get new cables? Or should they come with it? And if I do get a new PSU, what PSU would you recommend for a mid-grade one that's ideally under $100 and at a stretch to my budget, under $200?

I do however connect my 3pin fan cord to the 4pin slot on my motherboard and it works fine. Hmm... Is there something similar I might be able to do with the slots for the 590 Fatboy? Or is it only the 6 pin and 8 pin on one cable that I am able to use?

Like I said, I've been learning everything as I go by teaching myself reading forums like these, so I apologize if any of these questions seem like I should already know them. Same with the jargon and proper names of cords and whatnot.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
As for my PSU, presuming that means power supply unit, it caps out at 350W. I don't really know what other information I need to share though...

ANY 350w PSU is not going to have the proper connections nor enough power to run that system and GPU period.

Most likely its junk too.

You need to buy a new PSU, where are you located US? And yes any proper PSU will have the cables you need.

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
ANY 350w PSU is not going to have the proper connections nor enough power to run that system and GPU period.

Most likely its junk too.

You need to buy a new PSU, where are you located US? And yes any proper PSU will have the cables you need.

I have no idea if it's junk or not seeing as I've been using it without any problems for the last 3 years until now.

Also, I have no idea why you asked where I live. So forgive me for not answering as I fail to see how it's pertinent to my questions and it's a direct violation of internet safety. Not to mention, we're still under quarantine and all, so there's zero reason to give that information out even if you do mean well by it.

As for buying a "proper PSU", what would you recommend? I do believe that was one of my questions afterall.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Also, I have no idea why you asked where I live. So forgive me for not answering as it's not pertinent to my questions and it's a direct violation of internet safety. I may be a noob to computer hardware upgrades, but I'm not a noob to software or hackers or basic internet security and such like that.

Most PSU with wattage that low isn't very high quality. Some are, but most are not. That said its not enough wattage for your build, nor will it have the right connectors.

I wasn't asking you your street address dude, I was asking if you're in the US, Canada, Australia, etc so I know what store to recommend to you. If you're in Australia then sending you a link to Amazon US it kind of useless. Note the "Moderator" under my name tag, I'm not trying to "hack" you.

As for what to buy, absent a country location, the Seasonic Focus GX-550 is one of the best quality units you can get for 550w thats not too crazy and will have the connectors you need.

Solution

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
Oh. My apologies. I thought you were asking for what state. Yeah, I'm in the US.
And seeing as I've already spend roughly $500 on upgrading this, my budget for a new PSU is between $100 and $200 if that narrows it any.

Also, do I need to worry about PSU housing at all? Or are they all the same basic size and shape?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Oh. My apologies. I thought you were asking for what state. Yeah, I'm in the US.
And seeing as I've already spend roughly $500 on upgrading this, my budget for a new PSU is between $100 and $200 if that narrows it any.

Also, do I need to worry about PSU housing at all? Or are they all the same basic size and shape?

They Follow a specific ATX standard, in some cases you need to worry about the depth but thats only really when you're working with large high wattage PSUs. In your case its no concern.

Unfortunately due to COVID-19 it looks like anything Seasonic is nearly impossible to get. This is actually a good deal price wise but you'll need to wait a couple weeks

Seasonic PX-650

https://smile.amazon.com/Seasonic-PX-750-Full-Modular-Application-SSR-750PX/dp/B07W7YD7D1/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=corsair+rmx&qid=1589470099&sr=8-2&th=1

You can try ordering this direct from EVGA, its out of stock now but they will probably have it sooner than later:

EVGA 550G3

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0550-Y1

The Seasonic one I mentioned is better though.

I tried Corsair but anything good is out of stock or exorbitantly priced.

If you happen to live near a Microcenter you can do curbside pickup on this:

https://www.microcenter.com/product...tt-80-plus-gold-atx-semi-modular-power-supply

Reactions: RJGray

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
Hmm. Thank you. It stinks that I have to wait 2-3 weeks longer, but oh well. At least now I know.

Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for to avoid any other potential future problems? Anything else in my setup that you think should be upgraded further if my end goal is to be able to play vr?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hmm. Thank you. It stinks that I have to wait 2-3 weeks longer, but oh well. At least now I know.

Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for to avoid any other potential future problems? Anything else in my setup that you think should be upgraded further if my end goal is to be able to play vr?

No you've got a minimum to play in VR (once you get 16gb of ram), just be prepared to keep your expectations low. You're going to need to turn down in game graphical settings to lower levels to get a high frame rate that you want for VR to not be nauseating. Personally for me if its under 60fps I get ill. Not everyone is affected like that, but you'll have to see once you try it.

Reactions: RJGray

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
No you've got a minimum to play in VR (once you get 16gb of ram), just be prepared to keep your expectations low. You're going to need to turn down in game graphical settings to lower levels to get a high frame rate that you want for VR to not be nauseating. Personally for me if its under 60fps I get ill. Not everyone is affected like that, but you'll have to see once you try it.

Thanks. Definitely Good to know that frame rates affect vertigo and motion sickness levels. Now how to close this thread...? Hmm... Lol