[SOLVED] RX 590 Overheats w/ Memory @ 3200MHz?

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
Built my computer 5 months ago, after installing windows I went into Bios to set my memory to 3200MHz. I immediately had GPU overheating issues while gaming and even sometimes at idle. The only way I found to stop my computer from crashing was to go into Radeon settings and change my wattman profile to manual fan speed of 100% at 70c. It's worked for 5 months, but now I'm sick of having to manually load the wattman profile everytime I restart my computer. This can't be normal.

Does this seem normal, that overclocking memory can cause my GPU's temps to be higher?
Is there a way to have Radeon settings automatically load a wattman profile when the system restarts?
Why does my GPU run at 80c even when memory is set at default 2133?
How can I get the most performance out of my system without it overheating? I shouldn't have to play games on low settings!
What am I doing wrong?!

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB 3200MHz
XFX Radeon RX-590 8GB
Corsair CX550M
Corsair Crystal 460x RGB (3x Front Intake Fans + 3x Exhaust Fans)
Samsung 1TB 970 Evo M2 SSD

Solution
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the VRAM on the GPU.

If your WattMan profile isn't stable, the driver will reset to auto (usually denoted by a 1-2 second black screen in game). GPU related crashes usually don't cause restarts. Worst is that the game would just close down and you'd be looking at your windows desktop.

WattMan "tries" (if windows doesn't goof things up) to load the last settings before a reset or shutdown, so if WattMan had been reset to all auto from a crash before the reset/shut down, that's what it's going to load up.

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
I've taken the side panel off and the front panel off to let direct air flow right into the front intake fans. Nothing changes. My GPU temps will be pushing 80-85c while under load in game and the second I quit they drop a lot.

I sent back the first GPU thinking it was a hardware issue and still have the same problem with a second card. So I'm thinking the GPU cooler is not the problem either.

80C degree under full load is pretty much normal tbh, mine 1070ti sits around 80C under fulll load, fan profile is factory ~77% at this temperature
index.php

Built my computer 5 months ago, after installing windows I went into Bios to set my memory to 3200MHz. I immediately had GPU overheating issues while gaming and even sometimes at idle. The only way I found to stop my computer from crashing was to go into Radeon settings and change my wattman profile to manual fan speed of 100% at 70c. It's worked for 5 months, but now I'm sick of having to manually load the wattman profile everytime I restart my computer. This can't be normal.

Does this seem normal, that overclocking memory can cause my GPU's temps to be higher?
Is there a way to have Radeon settings automatically load a wattman profile when the system restarts?
Why does my GPU run at 80c even when memory is set at default 2133?
How can I get the most performance out of my system without it overheating? I shouldn't have to play games on low settings!
What am I doing wrong?!

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB 3200MHz
XFX Radeon RX-590 8GB
Corsair CX550M
Corsair Crystal 460x RGB (3x Front Intake Fans + 3x Exhaust Fans)
Samsung 1TB 970 Evo M2 SSD

check your ram i found this issue can be incompatible ram kits check in system that its reading all the ram in system information

update your bios to the newest version

also what cpu cooler are you using

it should be noted that particular card has thermal issues if you can return it go with a diffrent brand

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
I just attempted to play the new call of duty, and had a "Fatal Error" crash twice and finally on the 3rd attempt I was able to play a full game. Max GPU temp was 80c.

My RAM is reading all 16GB. I had it set to 3200MHz for the first 5 months and after some others suggested I reset my BIOS to default I am now running it at 2133MHz which is the default.

It seems that the crashes happen when the GPU reaches 82-83c.

I just attempted to play the new call of duty, and had a "Fatal Error" crash twice and finally on the 3rd attempt I was able to play a full game. Max GPU temp was 80c.

My RAM is reading all 16GB. I had it set to 3200MHz for the first 5 months and after some others suggested I reset my BIOS to default I am now running it at 2133MHz which is the default.

It seems that the crashes happen when the GPU reaches 82-83c.

def seems to be a gpu issue to be fair xfx as a brand has gone down the toilet there new 5700 amd cards are a laughing stock

also the card is most likely a vram issue

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBN2KDiw-V8

3200MHz is a pretty significant jump over 2000MHz.

Windows messes up WattMan profiles, simply restart your computer immediately after a cold boot and your profile should apply properly after the restart.

Some things you can do to improve temps:
Undervolt - involves setting Frequency to Dynamic, and Voltage to manual. Generally most cards tend to run on auto with 50-100mV more voltage than they need for stability. Here's a guide I put together.

I re-applied thermal paste on my 1300MHz RX480 and temps went from 85C @ 2400rpm to 73C @ 1100rpm.

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
3200MHz is a pretty significant jump over 2000MHz.

Windows messes up WattMan profiles, simply restart your computer immediately after a cold boot and your profile should apply properly after the restart.

Some things you can do to improve temps:
Undervolt - involves setting Frequency to Dynamic, and Voltage to manual. Generally most cards tend to run on auto with 50-100mV more voltage than they need for stability. Here's a guide I put together.

I re-applied thermal paste on my 1300MHz RX480 and temps went from 85C @ 2400rpm to 73C @ 1100rpm.

I'm still having issues even now that I've reset BIOS and have my memory running at the default 2133MHz.

Also, even if my computer has been running for a few hours if I were to need to restart for some reason my wattman profile is never auto loaded. I'd open a game after restarting and installing crash and it always reminds me to load profile. So then I have to restart, load profile and then I'll be good. It's just dumb though, that can't be normal. Even on default normal wattman settings, I still shouldn't have overheating issues right out of the box. Plus people are saying they can run up to 85-90c and yet my system crashes once it reaches lower 80s. Something is wrong and I dont understand.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the VRAM on the GPU.

If your WattMan profile isn't stable, the driver will reset to auto (usually denoted by a 1-2 second black screen in game). GPU related crashes usually don't cause restarts. Worst is that the game would just close down and you'd be looking at your windows desktop.

WattMan "tries" (if windows doesn't goof things up) to load the last settings before a reset or shutdown, so if WattMan had been reset to all auto from a crash before the reset/shut down, that's what it's going to load up.

Last edited:
Solution