Question rx 6600 xfx noise in game

May 19, 2022
Hi
I just bought a new amd rx 6600 xfx GPU and when I go in game I get an annoying
screaming sound from the GPU. I bought this card because I had the same problem with
a rx5500xt I bought 2nd hand a few weeks ago.
I even got a new PSU so its not that, and Im not sure if it may be a driver issue.
Any idea what the problem is?

cpu i7 4790
intel DQ87PG mobo
24gb ddr3
Corsair 650wat

Hey there,

This is known as coil whine. It's a noise the capacitors make when current passes through them. It resonates and makes a high pitched noise. It doesn't mean your GPU is faulty, but it can be very annoying.

Was the previous 5500xt run on the same PSU or your older one? If you re-use the old one, does the issue persist?

May 19, 2022
Thanks. The rx5500 was running on the old and new psu.
Is coil whine on a new GPU common?
The noise is so bad, you cant focus, so I cant understand how
GPUs can be sold like this.

May 19, 2022
corsair CX650M 650W 80 Plus bronze
So how do I avoid this, because the last 2 GPUS I bought both had this problem, and they were both XFX brands, should I try another brand like ASUS or go for NVDIA?

corsair CX650M 650W 80 Plus bronze
So how do I avoid this, because the last 2 GPUS I bought both had this problem, and they were both XFX brands, should I try another brand like ASUS or go for NVDIA?
I guess it's possible it could be the cards, but it seems odd that both have coil whine. It could be worth trying Nvidia cards to see if it happens. Can you bring to a local repair store and get them to swap out the GPU and test? Typically it costs about 20£$€ or so.

May 19, 2022
Hi, funny I actually took it to a repair shop and they tested it with other PSUs, it was the same issue, they said its coil whine and natural.
The repairman also told me it happens irrespective of brands, and apparently he had a 3060 and 3060ti with the same issues.
Anyway I decided to RMA this Friday, I'm just not sure what my next step is, should I roll the dice on the same GPU or try another?
I will ask the store Im buying from if they can test it before sending it, but I doubt they will.
My real issue is how can GPUs be shipped out with coil whine to customers, but perhaps the noise only offsets at a later stage for a lot of cards.

Thanks for the help man.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Okay, so defo the cards then.

Yes, it kinda doesn't make sense they ship cards with a coil whine issue, but as mentioned it's not harmful to the GPU or system. It's just bloody annoying!

If you are happy with the performance of that model, then you could get it again. It's hard to know if a new one you purchase is made in the same batch as the last one.

You could try a different manufacturer (prob best idea) with same model card.

May 19, 2022
Heaven, a little bit in xcom2 and quite bad on gears of war tactics. Funny enough, turning v-sync off in gears and unlocking higher fps made it substantially quieter!

however I didn’t know higher fps can fix it as well

That is very odd, and possibly a coincidence. Typically higher FPS increase the coils whine as more power goes through the inductors. Example being in game menus where FPS often run in the 200-300fps. You might notice the coil whine increase in pitch during those times. Unusual at least, from what I've read that it decreases with faster FPS (in game).

Last edited:
Reactions: KananX
May 19, 2022
Might be coincidence, at 60fps with v sync its quite loud and annoying, when I turn it off it goes to around 90fps and
the coil whine goes quiet, still there but much less.