Question Rx 6600 XT Blackscreen

Mar 24, 2023
So for a few good months now I changed my GPU to a 6600xt and I have a weird problem.

When I'm turning on the PC, after the motherboard logo it goes into a Blackscreen and the obly way to get it to turn on its to turn it off from the power button (the case one, not the PSU one), and turn it on again and it boots normal. I noticed that during the black screens the mouse and keyboard lights turn on and off kinda delayed and stay off for a longer period than on a "normal" boot.

I tried everything, fast startup on and off, ddu, new windows 10 and 11, cleared CMOS, updated bios version.

I just can't figure what can possible go wrong but somehow turning the sistem off and on again fixes it. Also sometimes it starts first try.

My components are
I3 9100f
Rx 6600xt
450 vs crosair PSU
H310 m 2.0

Before you say my PSU is to small, wich is, i can get the GPU and CPU on full load and the system won't crash, blue screen, Blackscreen or whatever. Beside the boot problem the PC works perfectly and performs accordingly.

A thing that I noticed (might be a coincidence) i was gone for a week and after I came home, for 3 or 4 days it started first try every time. Also I had another period when I didn't rly used the PC for gaming and I was just browsing and doing some word stuff for school and on those days it would start first try.
What I'm trying to say is that there might be a correlation between getting the PC "going" and these black screen boots. Idk if that's true it's just something I noticed, like the volteges mess up or something like that.

Ps: the only thing I didn't tryied was installing the windows on my HDD, currently is on a SSD.

I know you don’t want to hear about power supply but amd shows a 500 watt being recommended for that card. Also if I recall, the vs series is corsairs lower end units.

Might be worth getting a better power supply to try it with in case that’s the issue. If not at least you’ve eliminated that as a possibility.

How old is the card? I once had a 6600xt that would black screen etc during gaming. I was able to return it at the time for a new card because it was new. Not sure if you are still under warranty or not to where you could rma yours if needed.

Mar 24, 2023
I know you don’t want to hear about power supply but amd shows a 500 watt being recommended for that card. Also if I recall, the vs series is corsairs lower end units.

Might be worth getting a better power supply to try it with in case that’s the issue. If not at least you’ve eliminated that as a possibility.

How old is the card? I once had a 6600xt that would black screen etc during gaming. I was able to return it at the time for a new card because it was new. Not sure if you are still under warranty or not to where you could rma yours if needed.
I understand that the power supply is weak but I don't see how it would have trouble powering on the PC, and if that how turning it off and on again fixes it. Also as I said when I play games and so on everything is working fine. Normally if the power supply was the problem it would crash during high loads not during startup.

Mar 24, 2023
Sorry my bad, are you using DisplayPort or HDMI?
HDMI, i don't have any display port cable (thought about it) or monitor tho I tried diferite monitor with diferite HDMI cable.
I just reinstalled the vbios, the last chance and I will rma it. I know now that 100% is the graphics card fault bcs i tried installing windows on my HDD, thought my SSD went bad or something and as soon as it installed the graphics drivers and PC restarted I got that black screen again.

If you tried different monitor and got same results then it is one of three things that would affect at start up, gpu, motherboard itself or psu. I am not saying your psu is not strong enough for your gpu. I am just saying it is one of the possibilities of it going bad.

What resolution & refresh rate are you running at?

I've a Freesync monitor that's 144 Hz / 165 Hz. I used to run it at 1080p 144 Hz over HDMI with an R9 290. When I upgraded to a 6700XT the screen would immediately black out occasionally. It was random, unlike yours, and happened when the PC was being used so not on startup, but also it wasn't when the PC was under any kind of heavy load, just normal desktop stuff. A different HDMI cable didn't help. I ended up switching to a DisplayPort cable and it never happened again.

In short, although the specs meant HDMI should work and it did on the previous card, it seemed flaky compared to DisplayPort. Could that be your problem if you're running at high refresh rates/resolutions?