Jan 31, 2022
Specs:
OS - Windows 10 Pro
MB - Gigabyte B560 HD3
PSU - EVGA 650 GT
CPU - i5 10400 2.9 GHz
RAM - 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
GPU - MSI RX 6600 XT Mech 2X 8GB
Storage - 250 GB Kingston SSD (OS), 500 GB Kingston SSD (Games), 1 TB HDD( Other)

Problem:
So I just bought a RX 6600 XT and ever since I installed it my PC won't shutdown or sleep. If I try to do either it will shutdown/sleep (leds and fans off) and then immediately start up again. I think I've tried just about everything at this point. I used this thread to troubleshoot:

To summarize here, I've tried:
  • uninstalling and reinstalling drivers
  • editing registry files (as indicated in other thread)
  • jumping CMOS pins
  • taking MB battery out for 5 min
  • disabled fast startup
  • powercfg h off
I'm fairly sure its the 6600 because when I remove it and run on my CPU's integrated graphics the system shuts down fine. When I run powercfg energy analysis I do get an error that indicates that ASPM has been disabled, but Microsoft forums are pretty useless for fixing that.

Please help and thanks!

Reactions: BenzaminNG
you can try disabling all wake timers, altering PCIe settings, and altering Sleep options in your Windows Power plan.

there's no reason why a GPU would be sending wake signals to the motherboard so i would guess it is an issue with the PCIe slot itself if nothing else can stop the issue.

Jan 31, 2022
Thanks for the suggestions! I disabled all wake timers and have played around with the sleep options a good amount and it didn't seem to help. Are there any specific PCIe settings that you think could cause this? I went into BIOS and forced the link speed to 3.0 (fastest my MB supports) and that didn't help.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pull the plug. Put it back in. Start up. As windows is loading, pull the plug. Do that 3x. It'll put windows into repair screen options, troubleshooting. Have the pc do a windows repair. See if that helps.

If needs be, try downloading the motherboard chipset drivers from motherboard support-downloads page. Should be an all in one driver package. As a last resort, update the bios following the motherboard support directions.

How did you delete the gpu drivers? Did you use DDU through safe mode? Display Driver Uninstaller

Jan 31, 2022
Thanks for the suggestions!

The first time I removed the drivers I just used windows. This time I used DDU and it didn't fix the issue. I tried the windows repair as well as updating the chipset drivers and neither worked.

I didn't update bios yet, but I did notice a new behavior I didn't notice before. When I tell my PC to sleep it actually reboots (MB splash screen and everything).

Any other suggestions based on that info? I'm pulling my hair out .

Mar 13, 2022
I have the same problem, the Same motherboard B560M DS3H and Vga is 6600 XT a, I brought VGA the day before yesterday , after installation I faced the same issue as you.

Apr 15, 2022
I have exactly the same problem, and i did everything at this moment, ¿Is there someone that were able to solved this?
I notice there is some stuff in common, I Actually have an Gigabyte H510M H, AND MSI Mech RX 6600 (Non XT version) AND same issue.
I read another forum, and some people are using Z series of Gigabyte, AND same problem, maybe The problema is in Mobo or GPU, but It think Is in the mobo, no matter if the mobo is H, B or Z series, problem Is there, while the manufacture is Gigabyte, I'm not 100% sure, but I tried The GPU in a Biostar Mobo third gen cpu, AND it worked fine, It turned off normally The system.
Well, i tried with the H510M H removing RAM, and when Ram is removed, the system turns off normally. Maybe there is some instruction that Is being stored in RAM AND turns on the system automatically.

Apr 1, 2022
I tried to boot Blackarch and Gentoo linux live cd with AMDGPU driver and system sleeps and turns off perfectly. So it's probably something between Gigabytes UEFI and Windows AMD driver.

Apr 1, 2022
Yeah once it boots windows it changes something in UEFI, you can unplug HDDs and it will still have problem. Once it boots linux it changes and it will turn off. Not only from linux but from UEFI too. But when i boot windows again it won't turn off from windows or from UEFI.

Apr 15, 2022
That's interesting, so it means, we can use linux to turn off the pc, but it's something weird to do.
If there was some way to find the instruction that modifies the UEFI system and run it on Windows, it would be possible to solve the problem.

Apr 1, 2022
That's interesting, so it means, we can use linux to turn off the pc, but it's something weird to do.
If there was some way to find the instruction that modifies the UEFI system and run it on Windows, it would be possible to solve the problem.
I think it's something AMD windows driver does. When i boot windows rescue mode and it uses microsoft basic adapter as gpu driver then it turns off normally.

Apr 15, 2022
It's weird, because this only happens with Gigabyte mobo, all forums related this problem with this GPU are Gigabyte.
Well, the only way to turn off safely in Windows is using rescue mode?

InvalidError

Titan
Instead of turning your PC off, you could try putting it in sleep mode. Doesn't use much more power than soft-off mode and your PC almost instananeously comes back wherever you left off.

If you really need the PC off and cannot solve the reboot issue, you could restart the PC instead of shutting it down, go into BIOS and turn it off there using either the PSU or case power switch.

The only two times I've had issues with one of my PCs failing to stay shut down were 1) whenever I have my USB-to-PS/2 adapter plugged in and 2) PSU with flaky 5VSB rail.

Apr 15, 2022
Instead of turning your PC off, you could try putting it in sleep mode. Doesn't use much more power than soft-off mode and your PC almost instananeously comes back wherever you left off.

If you really need the PC off and cannot solve the reboot issue, you could restart the PC instead of shutting it down, go into BIOS and turn it off there using either the PSU or case power switch.

The only two times I've had issues with one of my PCs failing to stay shut down were 1) whenever I have my USB-to-PS/2 adapter plugged in and 2) PSU with flaky 5VSB rail.
Is there a problem with the components when shutting down that way?

InvalidError

Titan
Is there a problem with the components when shutting down that way?
Why would there be? The only real problem with randomly pulling the cord while the OS is loaded besides the obvious loss of unsaved data is the slight probability of SSD corruption from interrupting file system writes by loss of power. There shouldn't be any SSD write activity until the OS boots so the likelihood of losing data by shutting down the PC at the BIOS screen is probably lower than the likelihood of losing your data from messing around with a multi-boot setup just to have an alternate OS to shut down your PC from.

Before I figured out why my PCs were failing to stay off after shut down, I simply got ready to hard-off them as soon as I heard the system/PSU fans wind down.

Reactions: Pokeflin
Status
Not open for further replies.