Question Rx 6600xt performing significantly worse than expected

TheRealLucky

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
Today my 6600xt has arrived and after plugging it in I launched Valorant expecting some decent fps. I was extremely disappointed to see that I was hovering around the 150 fps mark and anywhere between 100-180, I wasn't even consistently cracking 200 fps and that's on everything at lowest settings (however i paly on a 27 inch 1440p monitor) . This card is supposed to be able to hit 400fps. I have no idea what's wrong.....

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600 with stock cooler

b450m-k motherboard

2 x 8gb 2666mhz crucial memory

xfx merc 308 rx 6600xt gpu

2 x sata 3: 120gb Intel 530, 500gb Samsung 860 Evo

Cooler master mwe 80+ gold 750w full modular v2 psu

Tried so far:

unplugging and plugging the card back in

cleaning all drivers using DDU and reinstalling

updating to latest bios for motherboard

deleting and reinstalling latest chipset drivers

reinstalling valorant

setting performance mode in bios

setting performance mode in windows with 100% cpu utilization

running the card in performance and crypto mode using a physical switch on the card

overclocking the card, under volting the card, overclocking vram using radeon software

running valorant in low setting - maxed setting and in between, also plugging in a 1080p, 24 inch monitor.

The only thing I can think of is Bottlenecking but from what I understand the 2600 should be good enough for bottlenecking to be minimal, just in case I monitored the cpu utilization while palying valorant and it stayed at around the 25-35% use with all individual cores never hitting 100% or even close to 90%. I also made sure to enable performance mode in bios and in windows to give my cpu all the help it could need. The temperatures were also fine, i didn't record numbers but they never went high, my gpu never went above 60 degrees i believe ( i can double check). My pc is nothing special but i do have 4 brand new fans on at all time. I did a radeon stress test for 120 seconds multiple times and it came back perfectly fine both on standard and over clocked settings. I also did a pcbenchmark performance test and it said my gpu was performing better than expected ( dont remember exact numbers but can do the test again if need be). The only unusual thing i noticed was the fact that no matter what I did to the card the performance seemed to stay the same, no matter if overclocked, uder volted or standard. Changing the graphical setting in valorant from lowest to near maxed seemed to make no impact either (maybe like 5-10fps, it was really hard to say) Im really disappointed and lost on what to do :(

Edit 1: I have decided to stretch the finances and pick up some more upgrades, I have ordered an Asus ROG strix b550-A Mobo and a 5600x. As today is Saturday it'll be 4 days before i get the parts. Will update once I have installed everything.

Last edited:

TheRealLucky

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
seems a lot of people are saying that on reddit, maybe i will make the switch then even though its out of budget since i just bought a new psu and gpu. can bottle necking really be this bad?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Graphics card gets it's frames from cpu to render, along with computing game code etc. It can be a bottleneck if cpu is unable to service the card to it's full potential. Ryzen's processor design split into chiplets, performance communicating between is based on speed of your ram. You'll see an improvement getting faster ram but processor's ipc (instructions per clock) has greatly improved with 5600x. Couple that with 3600MHz ram and you'll be laughing.

Well you could get faster ram and call it a day, maybe ddr4 3600Mhz CL16 is worth the extra 15 over CL18 as a first step.
That should get you a few extra frames 10-15 if you are lucky.
Later when you can afford it step up to a zen 3 5x00 when you have the cash.
You can still get a fair amount of money for the ram so upgrading the ram first won't really hurt too bad and it is a cheaper first step to more fps

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
can the bottlenecking really be this severe? im getting about half my supposed performance. Valorant is cpu heavy it seems.

200fps isn't severe, that's actually quite good. It's not like you can see it anyhow unless you have the refresh rate to keep up. If not a display capable of 200+ Hz, well that in itself is a bottleneck too.

As gpus get faster, the more demand is put on cpu, there's nothing new about that merry-go-round. If cpu can't reach gpu's fps cap then you'd up details for more eye candy to where the graphics card can still manage cpu's max fps.

TheRealLucky

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
im getting between 100-180, 180 being highest its averaging around 150. The problem is this is the same performance i was getting out of my rx580. This card supposed to deliver around 400 on maxed setting more on lowest, i have a 240hz monitor and i want the frames. Not to mention that Valorant is easy to run.

TheRealLucky

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
i do want the high frames and i have a 240hz monitor specifically for valorant. I decided to get a mobo and cpu upgrade, will post updates once it arrives in 3-4 days.

TheRealLucky

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
Well you could get faster ram and call it a day, maybe ddr4 3600Mhz CL16 is worth the extra 15 over CL18 as a first step.
That should get you a few extra frames 10-15 if you are lucky.
Later when you can afford it step up to a zen 3 5x00 when you have the cash.
You can still get a fair amount of money for the ram so upgrading the ram first won't really hurt too bad and it is a cheaper first step to more fps
Ive decided to replace the mobo and cpu, i can bunch it up with the rx 580 that i replaced with the 6600xt and sell them as a package. hopefully i can sell all those parts for the cost of the new mobo and cpu.

TheRealLucky

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
Today my 6600xt has arrived and after plugging it in I launched Valorant expecting some decent fps. I was extremely disappointed to see that I was hovering around the 150 fps mark and anywhere between 100-180, I wasn't even consistently cracking 200 fps and that's on everything at lowest settings (however i paly on a 27 inch 1440p monitor) . This card is supposed to be able to hit 400fps. I have no idea what's wrong.....

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600 with stock cooler

b450m-k motherboard

2 x 8gb 2666mhz crucial memory

xfx merc 308 rx 6600xt gpu

2 x sata 3: 120gb Intel 530, 500gb Samsung 860 Evo

Cooler master mwe 80+ gold 750w full modular v2 psu

Tried so far:

unplugging and plugging the card back in

cleaning all drivers using DDU and reinstalling

updating to latest bios for motherboard

deleting and reinstalling latest chipset drivers

reinstalling valorant

setting performance mode in bios

setting performance mode in windows with 100% cpu utilization

running the card in performance and crypto mode using a physical switch on the card

overclocking the card, under volting the card, overclocking vram using radeon software

running valorant in low setting - maxed setting and in between, also plugging in a 1080p, 24 inch monitor.

The only thing I can think of is Bottlenecking but from what I understand the 2600 should be good enough for bottlenecking to be minimal, just in case I monitored the cpu utilization while palying valorant and it stayed at around the 25-35% use with all individual cores never hitting 100% or even close to 90%. I also made sure to enable performance mode in bios and in windows to give my cpu all the help it could need. The temperatures were also fine, i didn't record numbers but they never went high, my gpu never went above 60 degrees i believe ( i can double check). My pc is nothing special but i do have 4 brand new fans on at all time. I did a radeon stress test for 120 seconds multiple times and it came back perfectly fine both on standard and over clocked settings. I also did a pcbenchmark performance test and it said my gpu was performing better than expected ( dont remember exact numbers but can do the test again if need be). The only unusual thing i noticed was the fact that no matter what I did to the card the performance seemed to stay the same, no matter if overclocked, uder volted or standard. Changing the graphical setting in valorant from lowest to near maxed seemed to make no impact either (maybe like 5-10fps, it was really hard to say) Im really disappointed and lost on what to do :(

Edit 1: I have decided to stretch the finances and pick up some more upgrades, I have ordered an Asus ROG strix b550-A Mobo and a 5600x. As today is Saturday it'll be 4 days before i get the parts. Will update once I have installed everything.

Edit 2: after pain staking 2 days of having my parts all arrive and not posting (no clue what was wrong i rebuilt the system about 6 times and it finally worked) I can confirm that the graphics card is indeed working as expected with a ryzen 5 5600x and 2x 8b 3600 memory sticks. At near maxed setting playing on a 1440p monitor I'm hitting consistent 350-400+ fps with only the occasional dip into high 200s on really open areas in valorant. I guess in the end it was indeed a bottleneck on the 2600 side but still surprises me how much of an impact it had. Only salvation was the fact that I could still comfortably play on maxed setting running around 150 fps at 1440p. That's that I guess.