Question rx 6700 xt no post?

Jordan_93

Honorable
Feb 6, 2017
a friend said his graphics card was not working so i tried it in my test bench and it doesnt seem to post with the card inserted. when attempting to boot the fans continue to spin and dont seem to stop. i tried different cables monitors gaming/non gaming; reseating gpu/ram cmos reset. nothing... any help or ideas would be appreciated before i say it might be a goner because it is too late to RMA i think.

thanks.

Jordan_93

Honorable
Feb 6, 2017
No post so no post noise. PSU is brand new. like i said this is specifically the GPU. GA-78LMT-USB3 is the board but there is no post on either and his motherboard is a lot newer.
if you know a way that would get a post from the card then that would be appreciated. The fans spin. i can get into device manager via VGA and see the 6700xt. current and previous drivers installed.ddu used. it update and detects the card via adreniline install but after the install it requires and restart then in device manager there is an ! on the 6700xt and adren wont open with my onboard.
If you know of certain setting that is standard on motherboards that may fix the issue let me know. and for the PSU; i run better and hotter cards so yeah it doesn't matter in this case but its a 750w gold.

Last edited:

Jordan_93

Honorable
Feb 6, 2017
I cannot find the a section to force PCI-e gen 3 but he said he didnt flash it? he said it messed up during a driver update. So.. back to flashing is it able to reflash the card to possibly the same but fresh BIOS?
Does the card have second bios? Has your friend flashed incorrectly a new bios?
Did you try forcing PCI-e Gen 3 and check if it runs?

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
error cannot read ROM on flash what can i do? did dos and windows
Seen this problem before and it was a bricked r9 290x. To be honest I wouldn't try doing anything for now but RMA it as other people suggested.
It could be just a bios problem and the manufacturing service could program it with a new one and the problem could be fixed. I think even with warranty this would cost like 15/20$

Reactions: HeerZakdoeK

Jordan_93

Honorable
Feb 6, 2017
Seen this problem before and it was a bricked r9 290x. To be honest I wouldn't try doing anything for now but RMA it as other people suggested.
It could be just a bios problem and the manufacturing service could program it with a new one and the problem could be fixed. I think even with warranty this would cost like 15/20$
RMA is not an option. Thanks though.

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
RMA is not an option. Thanks though.
You can try with programmer if we are 100% sure the card is just bricked. I am sorry if I misled you but manufacturers used to offer this as a service as I said but it is not tied to warranty and you could try asking them if they could do it. By "I think even with warranty this would cost like 15/20$" I meant this was not covered.
From what I have heard using the programmer on already bricked bios is not so hard + you would have nothing to lose. But as I said do it if you are sure its the BIOS. It is always an option to send it somewhere where people can guarantee a proper diagnosis and solution.